front seat belt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > front seat belt

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

front seat belt

does anyone know the reason D/C does not have the ratcheting lock type belt on the front passenger seat? i have air bag switch for use when my son rides in the front,but i feel less confident w/o the locking belt. my f-150 has them and i figure D/C intended the placement of kids in the front or they wouldnt have put in the switch. i know my p/u has it because there is no rear seat,but unlike my tj,it has a rear end. feels more confident with him riding in the front.being a ff/medic,i have seen a high speed rear ender to a jeep,there was nothing left of the rear passenger area,however the front was intact.

yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ has it on the passenger side as well. I just replaced my driverside side seatbelt. It is the TJ style it is the ratcheting style too. When I ordered it I asked if it mattered whether it was driverside or passenger. They told me they both were the same. Maybe there is something wrong with yours.?
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it should have one. The seatbelt is pretty useless if it doesn't have one
1987 Coleman Columbia
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

just double checked the passenger side front seat belt. it does not ratchet back into locking positions after pulling all the way out and letting back in,as do 99% of anything on the road. i guess its defective,but i tried my neighbors 2000 tj and it does not lock either. just for curiosity i checked the back seat belts and they do not ratchet lock either. i've never owned a vehicle that does not feature this on the passenger front or rear seats,so you can help lock in small fry's. you would think it would be some NHTSB mandate.
yellow jeep club #343
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I am not sure I know what your are talking about then. On my seat belts as in any vehicle I own if you try and pull the seat belts out too quick it will lock. Is that what you are talking about? If you are on a uneven terrain they will lock too.
Unread 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

no..in all my vehicles,f-150,mustang subaru,the passenger side seat belt and the rear belt actually ratchet out and then lock at what ever spot you stop at,except the jeep. i know what your saying.all belts lock up if you pull the abruptly.the whole other idea with mechanism i am talking about,actually lets you pull the belt down tight and cant be moved at all by the passenger,except when unbuckled.perfect for kids,because once pulled tyte its locked and they cant get out from under it. never seen a car since the mid 80's w/o this feature,except the TJ.
yellow jeep club #343
Unread 09-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 97, none of the seat belts ratchet.

My daughter sits in the back but I use tie downs to secure it along with the seat belt.

In case of a slow roll it will not move.
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
msumike1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2006 wrangler. The driver's belt works fine. If I give it a quick tug, it catches and does not give any more slack. The front passenger will give about 2' of slack before there is any catching. This seems poor. The rear seats...there is the problem. I was in no way able to get them to catch. I tugged as fast as i could. I pulled them all the way out to engage the ratcheting action....nothing. They just free-spooled with no resistance...regardless of the movement.

I called the dealership. Their response? "The rear belts only engage if the brake is applied." When I asked how effective the rear belts would be if I drove into a brick wall, I was put on hold and then asked if I would like to schedule an appointment.

What am I missing? How can I test these belts?
msumike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
jeepnlaket
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
My YJ has it on the passenger side as well. I just replaced my driverside side seatbelt. It is the TJ style it is the ratcheting style too. When I ordered it I asked if it mattered whether it was driverside or passenger. They told me they both were the same. Maybe there is something wrong with yours.?
How much did that seatbelt assembly cost you and where?
jeepnlaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonandson View Post
...all belts lock up if you pull the abruptly.
No, they don't. You're describing an enertia reel type seatbelt which the Jeep TJ and other modern Jeeps doesn't use.

You can pull fast on the belt all day-long and it will never lock up. Instead, there is a steel ball at the bottom of the mechanism that moves forward or backwards to lock up the mechanism when there is an abrupt stop or crash. It also locks up the seat belt if your Jeep is facing up or down a very steep hill due to that locking ball mechanism.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.