Are fog lights really nessesary anymore? Especially on a TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Are fog lights really nessesary anymore? Especially on a TJ?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
jeepbastard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are fog lights really nessesary anymore? Especially on a TJ?

I have new led headlights and i have underbody led lights. I used to have a cute pair of amber fog lights up front but are they even nessesary anymore with todays wide throw aftermarket LED lights and other accessories?

Arent they on older jeeps like the tj, and drag on the jeeps areodynamics and one more system that is prone to fail? And you can use the wires and switch to power other accessories

Are fog lights obsolete?

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
ShogunTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It really depend son the situatiuon. I've had the stock lights on until I got new bumpers. Afterwards I had to take them off. I haven't had any real issues with them so far, but I'm in PA and fog isnt that bad around here. There are some times I wished I had the lights for that extra smidge of visibility, but otherwise they've been fine.

Stock 4cyl and 35's=Rock Crawling like a bus!
ShogunTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess it's really a matter of personal opinion or preference. When I added my aftermarket bumper I drilled and mounted my stock fogs in the same position as factory. A TJ is a brick aerodynamically, so fogs aren't really going to hurt there. What is nice about them is what type of light pattern they throw. Headlights, regardless of type for the most part, do throw a beam pattern that is higher whether high or low beam. That's how you get distance in the beam pattern. Fog lights throw a beam pattern that doesn't reflect much, if any, light up. Just down and forward. The idea is not to "light up the fog" in front of you to help see better when visibility is impaired by smoke, fog, etc.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbastard View Post
and drag on the jeeps areodynamics
Are you serious?

To answer your question, the beam pattern used in fog lights will never be obsolete. The halogen light bulb is obsolete, but still the most cost-effective.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
jeepbastard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its mostly a joke to simulate conservation, but technically of course it is.

Im decided to take mine completely off and the mounts are coming off next. I typically dont drive in foggy areas and the new evolution leds work really well in the fog i have encountered so far. I may drill some holes inside the bumper to emulate the jk and put some fog lights later in there, but really its an ideal location for the laser i have mounted right now.
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some things to know about fog lights. Don't confuse 'fog light' with 'fog beam'. A true fog light will give off an amber beam and the good ones will give off a horizontal bar of light. They should be mounted low (bumper) to be most effective. A fog 'beam' light can have a clear lens and give off a white light like a driving light. A fog beam just means the light pattern is wide and diffused whereas an identical looking driving light will have a narrower deeper down range beam.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbastard View Post
.... I used to have a cute pair of amber fog lights up front but are they even nessesary anymore
Needed....NO
But I love mine. I use them in the daytime as 'projection lights' for added safety
(aid in being seen by the growing # of older drivers with weaker eyesight).

As I get older I like how they throw a wider close in pattern that lights up road and roadside out to where the headlights take over! Especially on country roads.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
677Sahara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I drive a twisty mountain road to work and I wouldn't live without my fog lights. They light up the shoulders and the ditch on the turns. Lots of animals out and about.
677Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 677Sahara View Post
I drive a twisty mountain road to work and I wouldn't live without my fog lights. They light up the shoulders and the ditch on the turns. Lots of animals out and about.
That is the reason why. You can see the deer's eyes before they walk into the road.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
677Sahara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Deer, Elk, Buffalo and other creatures.
677Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

For normal everyday driving in urban and suburban areas, probably not. For country roads, absolutely. I dont have HIDs or LEDs but I have H4 bulbs with an upgraded harness and while it's a massive improvement over the stock headlights in an XJ it's not enough for when I'm out in the country. We have TONS of deer here and my foglights go a long way towards illuminating far out on the sides of the roads so I can see 20+ of them just sitting by the side of the road where it's otherwise pitch black at night unless it's a full moon.

The deer are so bad out here and like to hang out so close to the roads that I've even considered getting LED bars for the sides of my Jeep just to illuminate directly to my sides. I could do foglights for the same purpose and they'd do an equally good job, but the bars are more aerodynamic for being mounted on the sides.

Also I don't like how LEDs or HIDs reflect off of actual fog and find traditional foglights do a much better job in actual fog.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No, they are not obsolete. I use mine a lot. I live in the country, roads are dark and narrow and no shoulder. Deer and animals are hopping all over. I like my fog lights on because they light up the ditches and road sides without overly annoying on coming traffic.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.