Flex; How much is really necessary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Flex; How much is really necessary?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
makizoo

Flex; How much is really necessary?

I understand the concept of more flex allowing you to keep all 4 on the ground for added traction, and all the ramp shots are pretty impressive. But you drive up and back down. How does this help in the real off road world going forward? After you get the front tire on and over an obstacle, won't you still hang up on the frame, lower, control arm, or t-case skid, before the rear tire can get you over?

makizoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
UPnOVER

That way you need big tires and a wheel base that will fit your needs.... If you going to center your self by going straight…..Don’t... Go at an angle....
[COLOR=red]RED JEEP #6[/COLOR]
91' YJ, D30 EZ, F8.8 locked & 410's, BDS4+" lift, 35" BFG's on 15x8 RC, 8,000lb Ramsey, etc. www. rock-nutz.com
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
makizoo

Figured that much, but then isn't just the tire size the most important? To close up the wheelbase, and lift only as required to squeeze in the tires? So the height of the lift becomes more important than its ability to articulate?
makizoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How much flex do you need? It depends.

I think largely it'll depend on on the terrain you want to run. Mud bogs or sand dunes and the like I would imagine wouldn't need as much articulation as, say, rock crawling with boulders the size of cars.

I've setup my Jeep with the goal of being able to run 95-97% of the trail miles in my state. I figure it's not worth the huge monetary investment to me to be able to conqure the last 3-5% of the trails. Sure, I might be missing out on some really gnarly stuff . . . but so is my wallet. And the compromises that are needed to get to that last little bit don't interest me. Jeeps are expensive enough without adding uncessary damage to repair into the mix.

That being said I find that for what I want to do the approx 30" of articulation I have is sufficient and pretty easy to achieve for a very moderate price.

I'm still impressed with what is essentially still a stock Jeep suspension. All that I've added to get to this point is a $200 BB, $70 BL, and the Anti-rock (though disconnects would work, too). Very good road manners and very good off-road prowess, too to yeild a good balance.

Oh, and if you're worried about dropping off the other side of an obstacle and messing up your tub . . . find a way to install some sturdy rocker guards.
Unread 02-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
RideRed04

Flex is over-rated. This is JUUUST about full stuff on my YJ, she's still got a bit more. I have a spot on each front fender that's dented up from the tires.

If you are locked up front and rear, having a ballanced suspention that keeps your rig planted firmly will get you much farther. I thing f/r weight ballance is more important then flex.
Unread 02-09-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, the only time you need a lot of flex if you do not have lockers. Lockers don't mind of one tire is in the air, but an open diff does.
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
AudioGuru

Having all 4 tires on the ground is the key to traction and stability, one can never have too much flex. Just because one has lockers and they can pull if a tire is up doesn't mean that all you need to do is add lockers to a stock height SE and you can wheel almost anything.
Aws you can see, if I had more flex, I wouldn't have gotten tripped up here.(second picture adjusted for level)

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think the flex gives you a little better balance. Prior to these springs I ran stock ones. They didn't flex. I had more "tipping" issues.
61a.jpg  
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ooohhhh... love your '73 CJ5! I helped a good friend do a frame-up restoration of his and it turned out gorqeous. That year's flat instrument panel and the AMC 304 V8 some came with have me lusting after a '73 myself!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuru
Having all 4 tires on the ground is the key to traction and stability, one can never have too much flex. Just because one has lockers and they can pull if a tire is up doesn't mean that all you need to do is add lockers to a stock height SE and you can wheel almost anything.
Aws you can see, if I had more flex, I wouldn't have gotten tripped up here.(second picture adjusted for level)

You have more then enough flex for that situation. There are a few better lines I can see there that would have made it much easier. Too much flex can be bad, trust me. Sometimes it's an advantage to have more tire pressure on one tire, and alot of flex prevents this. Super flexy rigs are also very unstable unless they are VERY low. I'm not saying weld your axles to the frame, I'm just saying more then a well tuned suspesion system really doesn't help much offroad.

I second Jerry, that '5 is SEXY!!!
Unread 02-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #11
AudioGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRed04
You have more then enough flex for that situation. There are a few better lines I can see there that would have made it much easier. Too much flex can be bad, trust me. Sometimes it's an advantage to have more tire pressure on one tire, and alot of flex prevents this. Super flexy rigs are also very unstable unless they are VERY low. I'm not saying weld your axles to the frame, I'm just saying more then a well tuned suspesion system really doesn't help much offroad.

I second Jerry, that '5 is SEXY!!!
Yes, there are better lines. But more flex would have helped. That's my point.
I was leading the group in unfamiliar territory without a spotter.

Unread 02-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuru
Yes, there are better lines. But more flex would have helped. That's my point. I was leading the group in unfamiliar territory without a spotter.
Did you get through? Probably. There is never enough flex to keep all the tires on the ground at all times in all situations. If you know your flex capabilities, whatever they are, you pick lines that you can work with. I have less flex than you, manage to go everywhere I want, and rarely get tippy. Oh yeah, and in situations like you are in the pic, I always have a spotter to help pick the line more likely to keep 4 on the floor, or tell me all is well or not if less than 4.
Unread 02-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
RideRed04

That doesn't even look like you would really need a spotter there...just turn your wheels to the passenger side and let the jeep go into that crack. If I'm ever out with buddies and not sure, I'll just get out and walk around all the angles, sometimes there is a really obvious line that you can't see from the drivers seat.
Unread 02-10-2005, 05:55 AM   #14
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A good walk through can save a roll cage check
Unread 02-10-2005, 08:35 AM   #15
AudioGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRed04
That doesn't even look like you would really need a spotter there...just turn your wheels to the passenger side and let the jeep go into that crack. If I'm ever out with buddies and not sure, I'll just get out and walk around all the angles, sometimes there is a really obvious line that you can't see from the drivers seat.
We were concerned that merely going right would cause a flop, since the weight was going to transfer quickly from driver's rear to passenger's front. We strapped back up the hill 1 foot and then I got the right line, it was cake after that. The crumbling bank didn't inspire much confidence, either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.