first time mudding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > first time mudding

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
BmooreTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

first time mudding

Planning a mudding trip for this weekend with some friends, this is my first time mudding i have a mostly stock 2003 tj with 32s and a 2in body lift, Im.curious what i should do to prepare and what tools I should bring. Were going to some mud feilds in southern florida nothing too tough so just looking for the basics

BmooreTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mud? Ugly!

1st thing is to insure you have the right to be there. Wheeling on private property without the owner's permission is illegal and can get expensive. It also gives all of us a bad reputation.

Wheel speed is important. You don't say what kind of tires you have. Lower the PSI on your tires, this will help improve traction.

Put fresh grease in all of the steering grease points. If you have greaseable drive shaft u-joints, grease them. Grease everything again when you get home.

Manual transmission? Don't disengage the clutch while you are in slop deep enough to get into the bellhousing. If you do, you will probably trash the clutch. There is a clutch interlock system bypass you can do which allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch. Put a fuse in slot #20 in the fuse panel behind the glove box. With this fuse installed you can start the engine with the transmission in gear without using the clutch. BE WARNED THAT THE VEHICLE WILL START MOVING AS YOU CRANK THE STARTER. I'd practice this a couple of times before you need it so you know what to expect if you have to do it in the slop. It sounds and feels kind of brutal but it works and it really won't break anything. If you find you need to shift gears while in deep slop, STAY OFF THE CLUTCH, shut off the engine, shift gears, start the engine WHILE STAYING OFF THE CLUTCH.

Once you are done clean, clean, clean! Bearings, bushings, u-joints really hate mud.

Have fun but beware of the "hey guys, watch this!" activities.
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

we don't call it mudding we call it 4wheelin or Jeepin'
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

All off roading begins with preparation. Do you have tow points? Your own recovery strap? Safety equipment on board? Maps or GPS? Communications? Check over your rig?

As for airing down, just do what the other guys do only less of it. Don't get below 10 psi in mud. Maybe 15 if you are running cheap tires. Have a means to air up if you air down. CO2 or a compressor. Your buddies are not service station attendants. If they offer, fine. but don't expect someone to refill your tires for you.

When you get out there, only follow equivalent rigs into the ponds and over the obstacles. If a guy on 42's and dana 60's is leading the pack, don't be second in line.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

These guys covered it pretty well. As for cleaning, I would put it on jack stands and remove all wheels and spend an hour or so with a pressure washer afterwards (done it many times and always miss stuff). I like mudding, but crawling is more fun these days.
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
BmooreTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice I do drive a manual transmission so I will definently check that out I plan on keeping it very light mainly just going to hang with friends and get a little experience, I will be sure to clean it all up real well when I'm done
BmooreTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Might want to put it in 4 lo and just idle over stuff. Depending on how fast you are going. Much more than a crawl might use 4 hi. I don't go past 2 nd gear in 4lo. If I need to go faster ill stop and shift to 4hi. Respect the throttle. Respect the throttle. Respect the throttle. And no I don't stutter.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
ljrubitm
2011 JK Wrangler 

Extend all your breathers. Front & rear axle, transfer case, transmission.
ljrubitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Virgin View Post
Respect the throttle. Respect the throttle. Respect the throttle. And no I don't stutter.
Too little throttle and you might get stuck, too much throttle and you'll break things or get into trouble.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clean everything after the ride, everything! Mud + FL humidity = rusted frame a lot sooner than you would ever expect. That crap gets in there and is like a sponge, hold moisture forever. Have fun, but just saying that there are long likely term consequences. How do I know? I'm on frame #2. I moved to NM from NY in 2011, and new parts that I welded on the axle a year ago here don't even have rust on them yet.
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
yellowtj101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Mud? Ugly!

1st thing is to insure you have the right to be there. Wheeling on private property without the owner's permission is illegal and can get expensive. It also gives all of us a bad reputation.

Wheel speed is important. You don't say what kind of tires you have. Lower the PSI on your tires, this will help improve traction.

Put fresh grease in all of the steering grease points. If you have greaseable drive shaft u-joints, grease them. Grease everything again when you get home.

Manual transmission? Don't disengage the clutch while you are in slop deep enough to get into the bellhousing. If you do, you will probably trash the clutch. There is a clutch interlock system bypass you can do which allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch. Put a fuse in slot #20 in the fuse panel behind the glove box. With this fuse installed you can start the engine with the transmission in gear without using the clutch. BE WARNED THAT THE VEHICLE WILL START MOVING AS YOU CRANK THE STARTER. I'd practice this a couple of times before you need it so you know what to expect if you have to do it in the slop. It sounds and feels kind of brutal but it works and it really won't break anything. If you find you need to shift gears while in deep slop, STAY OFF THE CLUTCH, shut off the engine, shift gears, start the engine WHILE STAYING OFF THE CLUTCH.

Once you are done clean, clean, clean! Bearings, bushings, u-joints really hate mud.

Have fun but beware of the "hey guys, watch this!" activities.
mud ruins your clutch? I have a clutch, just put in a brand new clutch. thats good to know thanks.
yellowtj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've had to replace two throw-out bearings but not my clutch plate. The bearing is not protected and the grime and dirt get into it and destroy it. Thick mud is not the big issue, its the sloppy watery mud holes that are the biggest problem

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
yellowtj101

i don't like to mud, my jeep is my daily driver so yeah..mud stinks. i like crawlin up mountains...
yellowtj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Bring whatever tools you would bring if you were going to drive cross country, bring a way to recover yourself(strapand a way to hook it up at the least), something to drink doesnt have to beer anything is fine. Other then that just hit it and get it. Have fun. And the clutch deal. Ive ruined axles, tcases, even batteries while playing around in deep mud and muck and water. But ive never had a clutch problem. Just saying my experience. Mud is where its at for me, that and trail riding, and forest racing.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Grease your electrical connections with di-electric grease.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.