Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

First Club outing What to take?

2K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  JeeperDon 
#1 ·
I am going out with my club for the first time. It is a work play day on a ranch that the club manages the trails on for the owner in exchange for cheap wheeling (no legal free wheeling here)

What all should I have with me or on my jeep? I have tow hooks up front, reciever with shackle out back. 1 20'x2" tow strap with looped ends. Engine and steering skids, and rocker guards. Is there another thing that would really help or keep me from slowing the group down? I have a 4wd and two local shops within ten miles so I can go get anything I need still.... TIA

#2 ·
Some guys bring everything they can think of. Tools, spare parts, etc. Chances are someone else will have recovery gear, so ask if you can look through their stash. It depends on where you are and what kind of trouble you envision getting yourself in. In any case, you'll need what you didn't bring!

Enjoy!:cheers2:

#4 ·
Personally, I try not to depend too much on others. I bring as many tools as I can, but it's kind of a pain sometimes. Dcomf is right though, many times clubs have a supply list. If you were going to be too far out, you also might think about extra fluids too.

#5 ·
tmwoodall said:
I am going out with my club for the first time. It is a work play day on a ranch that the club manages the trails on for the owner in exchange for cheap wheeling (no legal free wheeling here)

What all should I have with me or on my jeep? I have tow hooks up front, reciever with shackle out back. 1 20'x2" tow strap with looped ends. Engine and steering skids, and rocker guards. Is there another thing that would really help or keep me from slowing the group down? I have a 4wd and two local shops within ten miles so I can go get anything I need still.... TIA
Is your jeep stock or lifted? What other mods do you have? size of tires?

#7 ·
In any case some of the more general and common things people take are:

ratchet/socket set
shovel
gear oil or motor oil even can be used in a pinch
driveline and or axle Ujoint one of each
RTV
duct tape
zip lock bag or small plastic container to catch fluids with
radiator stop leak
a gallon of water
one of the plastic tube hose patch kits

You don't have to carry all of that. My group kind of spreads it out amongst ourselves. I am normally sure to carry stuff in my rig though that I know has a good chance of breaking.

#10 ·
2nd on the cb. even if the group doesnt require it, its nice to talk to the other jeeps without yelling at the top of your lungs. plus they are nice on the highway (listen to the truckers - they announce where all the cops are sitting :D - saved me about 4 tickets so far)

FuzzyDolly said:
My group requires a CB too. I would also suggest a fully charged cell phone. Just in case you need to make a call in an emergency.

#13 ·
tmwoodall said:
Oh Yea I have a CB too, I will just throw my toolbag in so I have all the basic hand tools.
sounds like your set. With the smaller lift and tire size you shouldn't have to worry about to many broken parts. Just remember your vulernable points. Oil pan, steering box stuff like that.

#15 ·
tmwoodall said:

Sounds like you're ready to ride!

Have fun on your first trip, take plently of pictures.
PS: My 99 TJ was first reg in Austin Texas, the first owner was good to my TJ.

AL

#17 ·
Here's what my club requires

Seat belt for each occupant in the vehicle.
Fully charged, easy access fire extinguisher.
Roll bar for any vehicle with a removable top.
A valid driver's license and proof of liability insurance (minimum).
Tow hooks mounted on your vehicle front and back.
A first Aid kit
No alcohol on trail rides, driver or passenger. Most if not all of the places we go are either dry counties or is in the National Forest where alcohol is prohibited anyway.
Equipment that is not required, but is HIGHLY recommended:

Keeper ® or similar tow strap WITHOUT metal hooks. (metal hooks can become a deadly projectile if the strap breaks).
CB Radio

#18 ·
HowUDerin said:
2nd on the cb. even if the group doesnt require it, its nice to talk to the other jeeps without yelling at the top of your lungs. plus they are nice on the highway (listen to the truckers - they announce where all the cops are sitting :D - saved me about 4 tickets so far)
How do you know what channel the truckers will be on? Do you just keep flipping channels until you hear them?

#20 ·
tmwoodall said:
Say Hi to Akamu for me :cheers2: White TJ on 38" SXs and tube fenders with a big ole home made front bumper and about 20 lights :D Guessing of course you're with AJE.

#22 ·
as said above,talk with a few guys before the trip to see if theres any particulars you should bring....Clubs are great...Most will go above and beyond to help you out...And a good way to impress the senior members is to have something stupid they dont have in the time of need...Like the crimp on electrical connectors or zip ties...Go with a good attitude and listen to them,they know the terrain...

#23 ·
It's good to have a CB to communicate with the rest of the group in case one of the members or yourself are in trouble and If someone breaks down or is somehow left behind. The other riders can also help you navigate the trail this way.

I bring as much as I can as far as tools, engine fluids etc., water, recovery gear, a fresh change of clothes, waders, etc.

#25 ·
Thanks guys, I have most of the stuff mentioned, besides all the fluids. I keep it with me at all times wheeling or not so it will just be grabbing the tools. I actually got pm'ed by a member of our club via this thread so I am good to go now. Soon I will be locking the front, then after that I think finishing my skids. Cant wait to get it all built up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.