First aid kit-Buy it or build it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > First aid kit-Buy it or build it?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
GhostRiderLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

First aid kit-Buy it or build it?

Almost done with my storage box for the heep, (more on that later) and I'm loadin 'er up with essentials for Recovery, Repair, and Survival. Will be somewhat of an expedition jeep. Anyway, I need a first aid kit and was looking at some of the pre-packed ones. Seems like I could build one and buy the items specific to what I think I might need. Have any of you done it this way, or bought one and maybe added items to it you thought should be included? I'm thinkin building one would cost a little more, but might be worth it. Thoughts?

"[I]A Country Boy Can Survive"[/I]
GhostRiderLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a prePack kit. I'm sure it comes with the standard band-aid, gauze, etc...But I would add a small tube of super glue (A deep cut can be pinched together and superglue applied to hold it shut), Duck Tape ( Works stronger than a band-aids sticky-ness, especially when your hands are wet), Small scissors ( strong enough to cut fabric away). What could happen out on the trail? Break a part on your rig and try to fix it and cut your self. Something happens to your engine and you stick your had down there and burn your self. Last but not least Water. You'll need that for you and the Jeep.
KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
FuzznYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is the one I built. I was at the Army/Navy store and found these metal first aid boxes. There are water tight like an ammo can and have tons of room. I made a stencil out of vinyl and then used red brake caliper paint to paint on the logo.

It is large enough for all basic first aid supplies as well as a full stitches kit.

Unread 08-31-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Comanche_

I have multiple kits in my truck/ camping gear. A really good one and then a few smaller/less good ones just so i will never run out of bandaids/ ext when i might need them.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

I vote for building your own. I find most premade kits are more boo-boo kits than something you could use in a serious situation. (Not that there's anything wrong with having a boo-boo kit as well, but band-aids don't do much to serious injuries.) All pre-built kits I and my girlfriend (medical professional, though works in mental health, not trauma) have looked at have been lacking in at least some way.

Building your own also gives you more familiarity with what is in your kit. Kneeling next to a bleeding, unconscious guy is not the right time to start wondering about what, exactly, does this store-bought kit actually contain. (Guess how I found that one out? And sure, I looked over the stuff in that kit a couple of times before putting it into my car, but as it turns out, that wasn't quite enough...) And last, building your own kit lets you build one that suits your skill level and preferences in first aid gear.
Unread 08-31-2009, 03:06 AM   #6
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

I think buying a premade kit and adding to it is the best way to go. I bought a pretty nice J&J kit from Walmart for $10. It has tons of different size bandaids, cold pack, tylenol, asprin, burn lotion, itch cream, light sticks, etc. It was a really good base to build your own kit. Not to mention if you bought everything in there separately it would have cost a lot more. I still need to get a bigger box for it but it did come in a nice little divided plastic case.
Unread 08-31-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
SwayzePDX89
2003 WJ 

i just store all my gear in my spare area :]
SwayzePDX89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 03:15 AM   #8
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
I vote for building your own. I find most premade kits are more boo-boo kits than something you could use in a serious situation. (Not that there's anything wrong with having a boo-boo kit as well, but band-aids don't do much to serious injuries.) All pre-built kits I and my girlfriend (medical professional, though works in mental health, not trauma) have looked at have been lacking in at least some way.

Building your own also gives you more familiarity with what is in your kit. Kneeling next to a bleeding, unconscious guy is not the right time to start wondering about what, exactly, does this store-bought kit actually contain. (Guess how I found that one out? And sure, I looked over the stuff in that kit a couple of times before putting it into my car, but as it turns out, that wasn't quite enough...) And last, building your own kit lets you build one that suits your skill level and preferences in first aid gear.

You're right...I wouldn't understand...it's a TJ thing!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

buy a pre-packed kit and add whatever additional items you feel necessary.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
mylt1

if you have a sams club around they have a very nice FAK for around $22. its in a big blue and white case that is about half the size of a briefcase. buy a smaller waterproof case and transfer what you want then add to that. its always easier to start with a prebuilt kit and add/remove what you need to. i'll see if i can find a link for you.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
mylt1

here ya go. Sam's Club - Deluxe First Aid Center - 326 pc.

that is what i usually start with, then take out some of the crap and add what i need. works out real well because if your not building 2 or more kits buying bandaids by the box leaves you with a LOAD of extras.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought a "hunter's" fak from Amazon. It seemed to have more items we might use in the Jeep.
GotLime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
GhostRiderLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies, lots of great ideas. That one from Sam's or the hunters FAK looks like a good start. I like the superglue addition too, I hadn't thought of that. That's a nice looking kit you built Fuzzn, I may still go with something like that.

"[I]A Country Boy Can Survive"[/I]
GhostRiderLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderLJ View Post
Thanks for all the replies, lots of great ideas. That one from Sam's or the hunters FAK looks like a good start. I like the superglue addition too, I hadn't thought of that. That's a nice looking kit you built Fuzzn, I may still go with something like that.
another good addition i heard about on this forum...tampons or maxi-pads. sounds weird, but they are very good at absorbing blood (go figure!!), and they are sterile packaged individually. if somebody gets a severe wound its a good way to absorb the blood until you can get them to a hospital for proper treatment.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
FuzznYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderLJ View Post
Thanks! I like it because it is dust and water tight and can bounce around without cracking like a plastic or fabric container.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.