Fire Extinguisher? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Fire Extinguisher?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #121
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Bumping an old thread because this is the best extinguisher thread out here and I'm not about to add another to the 100+. I've been looking to pick one up after so many burning Jeep threads. I'm looking at a 5lb extinguisher in either BC or Purple K. I was leaning toward Purple K since one can has about 2x the fire suppression of an equal sized BC can. Only question is, are there any bad downsides to Purple K?
http://www.trianglefireinc.com/Amere...FQsFnQodyHAAtQ
Bumping mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #122
spbarone
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573

Bumping mine
Just ordered a couple from that site. Hope to have them in this weekend!
spbarone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #123
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Bumping an old thread because this is the best extinguisher thread out here and I'm not about to add another to the 100+. I've been looking to pick one up after so many burning Jeep threads. I'm looking at a 5lb extinguisher in either BC or Purple K. I was leaning toward Purple K since one can has about 2x the fire suppression of an equal sized BC can. Only question is, are there any bad downsides to Purple K?
http://www.trianglefireinc.com/Amere...FQsFnQodyHAAtQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
To me, a 2.5 lb. fire extinguisher is just too small, not to mention a 5 lb. extinguisher fits those locations you mention just fine... see my post earlier in this thread showing how I have mounted a 5 lb. extinguisher there. If you're going to go to the trouble of mounting two, I'd sure pay a tad more and go with the more useful 5 lb. size since it fits there fine.

Think about where offroading typically takes place... out in the boondocks where it will take a fire truck a long time to get to. I just can't go along with a 2.5 lb. extinguisher being a serious/realistic size extinguisher for remote offroad locations. And there is no need to order an extinguisher, any local hardware store like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. has them in stock... including the more recommended 5 lb. size models.
I agree with Jerry

I'm reminded of a conversation with the old geezer that used to check and service the fire extinguishers at my last employer, who told me:

"You're better off peeing on a fire than using a 2.5lb extinguisher"

I'm open to discussion on types though. If you can get twice the fire control from Purple-K at the same volume, I'm dang interested.

I'm thinking I should talk to the fire extinguisher dealer that I get my CO2 fills from. Wanna make sure I'm carrying the best I can carry, for the best price and the most convenient size.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #124
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Purple K aka PKP should never bee mixed with ABC dry chem because the mixing will destroy its efficiency. Purple K is used in oul raffineries and where flammable liquids are beeing handled. The main component is about 78-82% sodium bi carbonate. Its a free flowing, lighter than most liquids and does not wet with water and is well compatible with most foam concentrates. It is most effective agains class B ( flammable liquids) and ENERGIZED electrical equipment. It is 4-5 times more effective against class B fires then CO2 and more then teice then Sodium Bicarbonate. It works by inhibiting the chemical chain reaction ( smotheres the fire). Ingestion of large amounts can cause alkalosis. Hope that helps
THOR114 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #125
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
I agree with Jerry

I'm reminded of a conversation with the old geezer that used to check and service the fire extinguishers at my last employer, who told me:

"You're better off peeing on a fire than using a 2.5lb extinguisher"
I think that a 2.5 pound extinguisher is worse then none in a lot of cases because it gives a lot of people a false sense of security. I think two 5lb bottles should be a minimum. One for the driver and one for a passenger.

72 CJ5 258-3spd d30-d20-d44
[QUOTE=Bsktbll109;6293409]Does your rearend guy do gears?[/QUOTE]
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #126
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2.5lb = 1A:10-B:C

Fire extinguishing capacity is rated in accordance with ANSI/UL 711: Rating and Fire Testing of Fire Extinguishers. The ratings are described using numbers preceding the class letter, such as 1-A:10-B:C. The number preceding the A multiplied by 1.25 gives the equivalent extinguishing capability in gallons of water. The number preceding the B indicates the size of fire in square feet that an ordinary user should be able to extinguish. There is no additional rating for class C, as it only indicates that the extinguishing agent will not conduct electricity, and an extinguisher will never have a rating of just C.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #127
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I read through about half of the thread and I didn't see too much insight as to good practices of using extinguishers on car fires... to preface the remainder, I'm a Battalion Chief with my local fire department. I've seen it, studied it and done it... This is my general "rule of thumb". It certainly doesn't work all the time but it's my go-to technique.

To start with, the easiest type of fire to put out tends to be an engine compartment fire. The main reason most engine compartment fires get out of control are due to one major issue...people open the hood. If the hood is closed, it limits the amount of oxygen that can get to the fire giving more time for remediation. Less oxygen means the fire won't grow as big and as fast (no oxygen means no fire). There are two decent ways to put out the engine compartment fire. The first could be by using the extinguisher through the front grille (if you can hit the air intake with CO2 you could also stall out a car). My preferred method is to use a pick axe or something equally sharp (halligan bar) to put a small hole into the hood and put the hose of the extinguisher up to (or in) the hole and start discharging. The third is simply a deluge of water which will probably cause the insurance company to total the vehicle anyway.

The discharge of a dry chem plus the fact that the hood is still closed (limiting the amount of oxygen) will put out a decent sized fire with not a lot of extinguisher.

I will say that this works when you catch a fire as it starts. Once it gets going, you might as well just sit back and watch since the vehicle is going to be totaled anyway.

Another major issue is when it's a fuel fire. It's very difficult to put out a fuel fire without foam. Best bet is just hope to not have a fuel fire.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #128
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrott View Post
Another major issue is when it's a fuel fire. It's very difficult to put out a fuel fire without foam. Best bet is just hope to not have a fuel fire.
X1000! As some of you know I was recently in a fuel fire while co-driving in NORRA Mexican 1000. The ferocity of that fire in the cab since it was a mid engine car was terrifying. Fortunately for us when master off switch was killed the fuel pump stopped feeding the fire and a regular extinguisher got it out quickly. I took the worst of it (three weeks in hospital and two grafting surgeries) but the damage to the car was repairable and it was back on course on day four and took the checkered flag in Cabo. Safety gear (firesuit, helmet, helmet skirt, etc.) did their jobs otherwise it could have been really serious for me. Being in that fuel fire is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Oh, and I agree 100% about the comments about oxygen level under hood. Another time in Maine with my TJ I had leaking transmission fluid ignite on the minicats. We could see it under there burning with very small flame. We quickly got the extinguisher. When we popped hood it flamed way up but a quick direct shot with extinguisher got it and didn't get extinguisher crap all over engine bay. Only worked because we got it fast. Otherwise when we opened that hood the oxygen to the flame not good.
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #129
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've seen no mention of Halguard in this thread from what I've read it's very good at putting out vehicle fires and does not leave a residue or damage electronics. Anybody have any experience with these?

http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #130
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I still have a 3# halon 1211 in my closet. I think it might find a home in the jeep.
TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #131
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
X1000! As some of you know I was recently in a fuel fire while co-driving in NORRA Mexican 1000. The ferocity of that fire in the cab since it was a mid engine car was terrifying.
I would not want to experience that and wish it on no one... Fire protection suits and equipment are wonderful things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I've seen no mention of Halguard in this thread from what I've read it's very good at putting out vehicle fires and does not leave a residue or damage electronics. Anybody have any experience with these?

http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm
Basically, it's a really expensive extinguisher....

From what I've read about them, their rating and abilities aren't much if any better than a traditional dry chem extinguisher. The biggest difference is the lack of powder. If you're in an enclosed environment then it absolutely makes sense to try to use something that isn't going to suffocate you. Trying to breathe in that powder is a real b****. If I'm outside with a vehicle fire I'm not worrying about the powder.

The other consideration, yes... the powder will make a mess. Well guess what, you more than likely have quite a bit of work to do in order to fix the fact that the vehicle caught fire. Besides, a power washer is a wonderful thing.

Also, at least my hope is that I'll be using my extinguisher on someone else's vehicle rather than my own. I don't expect for them to pay to refill/recharge my extinguisher so I'm going to use the cheapest, most effective option. It's the same opinion with my fire trucks. If I'm putting out the fire from the truck, the fire has probably been burning for a while so the vehicle is already totaled. I just need something simple and efficient to put it out.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #132
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrott View Post
I would not want to experience that and wish it on no one... Fire protection suits and equipment are wonderful things.
Shot of my fire suit for fun that could have been me (I could post some pictures of the burns but those definitely NSFW). Helmet skirt has similar burn marks on it. Helmet doesn't show marks but I'm sure my hair would not have done well with the flames. In addition to the burn marks you can see on the suit it has a bunch of burned plastic (or some chemical) from the "melting" seat stuck to it that could have been really nasty if it was stuck to my skin.

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #133
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I really don't want to go back and read all of this narrative about fire extinguishers for off road rigs. Of course, I have a couple little dry chemical extinguishers in my rig. But, they are mostly for show. If your rig catches on fire the smartest thing to do is get the hell away from it, let it burn and try not to get anyone hurt. Professional firefighters with big time equipment and dressed for action are sometimes injured from car fires and an untrained person with a 5 lb or 10 lb hand held unit and no fire protection gear on is just a big mess waiting to happen.

Try insurance instead, Its cheaper and safer.

Now for a kitchen fire extinguisher, or the garage or the grille, nothing can beat a 20lb CO2. That's what I have and there is no clean up, works like magic and is a lot of fun to play with if you get bored. Anything you point a dry chemical unit at is ruined. Not so with CO2.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #134
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If your rig catches on fire the smartest thing to do is get the hell away from it
Just to complete the thought on my prior posts, agree 100%. The burns I suffered were in the short period of time that it took to release a five point harness, get a window net down and dive out the window (with my helmet comm and blower still attached). It was the main power shutdown and my co-driver (who didn't get burned) and the chase crew from another race team who happened to be right behind us getting extinguishers on it that put it out. Don't mess around if you have a fire.
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #135
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How does this one stack up?

Got it as a Christmas present.
image-4034560895.jpg

image-2211735484.jpg

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.