Fire Extinguisher? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Fire Extinguisher?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #76
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxresq View Post
OH YEAH SECURE THAT PUPPY! A 10 lbs halon will become a missle if you fracture the neck of the bottle. We tested one in the labs at the National Fire Academy I forgot how many yards it went but I dont know of any NFL quarterback would have even come remotely close to it. Look at this way, a highlift jack handle barely taps you in the head as you crawl over a rock. It hurts! Now imagine Barry Bonds swingin that jack handle at full force and knocking your head over the centerfield fence and into the top row of the stadium. That would be your extinguisher hitting you in the head under a fracture discharge.

My advice: get an approved bracket for it and SECURE IT.
Don't worry. It is still in the house as I have not figured how or where to adequately secure it in the jeep yet. I will be real careful that it is mounted as securely as possible. It is a good one with a metal valve and handle and a rubber hose.

Thanks for the advice.

War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #77
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Since there seems to be alot of intrest in this topic, here is a web site to teach you how to PROPERLY OPERATE your extinguisher. Its one thing to have an extinguisher its another to know how to use it. This site was designed by one of my brother Fire Instructor's. It's free and done in a web power point presentation with no special program downloads.

www.fireextinguisher.com

Think about it in these Jeep terms.... Take a super modified everything you can get on a rock crawling Jeep then a driver that has never driven off road at all....Do you really think they could make the Rubicon Trail?

Asst. Fire Chief / Nationally Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (retired)
CEO, Fire - ResQ Technology
That was an excellent tutorial
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #78
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you liked it ..I will be sure to pass your comment on.

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
obxresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #79
Comanche_

thats a good tutorial.

I just recently put a 2 1/2lb bc fire extuenguesur in my truck, I know it's not the "best" but it;s better than nothing. I also have 1 or 2 small halon ones in there too.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #80
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
thats a good tutorial.

I just recently put a 2 1/2lb bc fire extuenguesur in my truck, I know it's not the "best" but it;s better than nothing. I also have 1 or 2 small halon ones in there too.
I just spoke with the Instructor that started the web site ..he told me that since it was placed here on Jeep forum his web counter went crazy....He wants to
Thank everyone that looked at it and to Keep Jeepin ,,,Fire free that is!!

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
Unread 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #81
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OH YEAH SECURE THAT PUPPY! A 10 lbs halon will become a missle if you fracture the neck of the bottle.
secure it with the neck forward. that way when someone honks or tailgates you, you can break the neck with hammer and physics will take care of the rest!

very interesting thread. thanks for all the great info. i'm in the fire pump business and deal with fire fighting systems for refineries. this is a whole new world!

as obxresq put it very nicely, beeing jeepers we shouldn't only worry about our jeeps (or others' jeeps) but also about wild fires since we drive out in nature. it is our obligation to be responsible drivers. In an attempt to be one I had purchased 2x 2.5lbs extinguishers which I installed next to each of the front seats. i now need to check what they are rated for thanks to this thread.

an engine fire is very difficult to control because of oil/fuel leaks. even with a 10lb extinguisher it will still be extremely difficult to put out a fire after the first couple of minutes. it's just too hot. the idea is to put out YOUR fire as soon as you see the first signs of smoke.

if you see a vehicle on the side of the road on fire don't risk your life by trying to put it out as you don't know how long it has been burning and you don't know when it will become explosive. this happened to me a few months ago. i found a car where the flames were just starting to come out of the hood and as i approached it with my extinguisher there were 2 small explosions. i must have been around 10ft away from the car when it happened and it wasn't pretty.

the only situation where i would attempt to approach a vehicle on fire is if there were people trapped inside. in this case i wouldn't use the extinguisher to put the fire out, but instead to try to keep the flames away from me (or the rescuers) long enough for the rescue to be completed. this is the basic principle of fire fighting in refineries. you don't try to put the fire out if it's too big, you try to keep the fuel containers/pipes/etc cool so they don't melt causing a fuel spill which would result in an explosion. all refineries have sprinkler systems and water canons AROUND their oil storage tanks (not above) to keep the walls from melting, and foam systems above the tanks to try to suppress the oxygen.

Last edited by AlexGeorgakis; 06-17-2009 at 10:45 AM..
AlexGeorgakis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #82
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyYZ View Post
If ABC powdered extinguishers are fired in an engine and it gets into the intake it will pretty much destroy your engine. There is metal in the powder than adheres to any hot surface. Not good for engines
BC powder is pretty much baking soda with additives in it to prevent caking
I've got a snorkel on my jeep so I guess an ABC extinguisher would be ok, but then again, the entire air intake all the way to the throttle valve is made of plastic, so in case of fire this will melt exposing the engine.

As a conclusion would you say that the best extinguisher for all us jeepers is a 5lb BC type?
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #83
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageorgakis View Post
I've got a snorkel on my jeep so I guess an ABC extinguisher would be ok, but then again, the entire air intake all the way to the throttle valve is made of plastic, so in case of fire this will melt exposing the engine.

As a conclusion would you say that the best extinguisher for all us jeepers is a 5lb BC type?
Its been my experience that once you have a fire hot enough to melt your plastic snorkle you will need to rebuild the engine or get a new one.

1) The melted plastic is going to drip into your intake manifold and possibly the combustion chamber as well.

2) Most engine compartment fires will reach temp. of 900 degrees very rapidly. This is hot enough to warp the heads, damage seals, along with the possiblity of warping rings on the pistons. Remember your engines normal operational temp is around 210 to 220 degrees now it has been exposed to almost 4 times that amout of heat.

3) All your wiring will need to be replaced. Not just replacing the burnt part but the whole wire. Wire transfers heat ,like electricity, their might be little damage to the wire past the fire side but the plug at the other end might be fried.

Be safe in all aspects go with an ABC 10 lbs or 2-5lbs. Two 5lbs might be easier to find places for in a Jeep and if you only need 5lbs to put out the fire your still good with another 5 lbs waiting to back it up.

Unread 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #84
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I always carry a 5lb ABC and when I wheel I carry a 10lb ABC as well, I have been thoroughly trained at work and when I was on the fire dept, and still refresh as an EMT every year. The fire extinguishers were given to the fire dept by the state when they got rid of there old ones, I took the best ones and have them inspected every year. The Fire Dept didn't need them because theirs were newer than what the state had, so they put them up for grabs, to anyone who wanted one or three.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #85
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its been my experience that once you have a fire hot enough to melt your plastic snorkle you will need to rebuild the engine or get a new one.
Be safe in all aspects go with an ABC 10 lbs or 2-5lbs. Two 5lbs might be easier to find places for in a Jeep and if you only need 5lbs to put out the fire your still good with another 5 lbs waiting to back it up.
Yep, this def makes sense. Thanks for the tip. I'll take care of my extinguishers this week!
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #86
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I love being directed to old threads that have tons of useful info!

Woot.com the other day had a pair of 16oz XT portable ABC fire extinguishers, which I bought. I also have a couple of Badger 10MB-4H 10lbs ABC (4-A:60-B:C) steel shells with aluminum valves that I got took from work when we moved buildings and were throwing the old ones out for whatever reason. Last inspected about 2 years ago.

Now I know that the 16oz'ers are practically useless, but what about that 10-pounder? It's pretty huge, and I'm not even sure where I'd mount it in a daily driver. Maybe leave it at home (one in the garage, one under the kitchen sink) and opt for the 5lbs Purple K linked to earlier?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #87
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is the problem with the 10lb'ers "Were to put them?" Plus the one you have is even bigger than the newer aluminium ones. I would go with the 2-5lbs

Unread 07-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #88
RichH
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the Purple K unit linked earlier. Are they difficult to get refilled/recharged? What can I expect to pay for a Purple K recharge?

Proud member of the NRA
Sahara Jeep Club #23
[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club #225[/COLOR]
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #89
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

CO2 System

So I have researched and have seen fire extinguisher systems for cars, (mostly Halon), but I was thinking of making my own system with CO2. For some background CO2 is good for electrical, Flammable gases, and Liquids. (correct if I'm wrong in areas. Lastly CO2 is heavier than air so I'll mount the discharge nozzles to the underside of the hood. If anything at all I'll have a portable ABC extinguisher while the CO2 might just calm down the flames till I can do something otherwise. Anyone done something of the same or have suggestions?
KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #90
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So here is the Drawing. CO2 bottle located anywhere. The blue lines are the lines to the nozzles. And the green squares are the nozzles.

KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.