Fire Extinguisher? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Fire Extinguisher?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #61
wawheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

haleron*

Justify's
Every
Ecological
Problem
wawheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #62
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since there seems to be alot of intrest in this topic, here is a web site to teach you how to PROPERLY OPERATE your extinguisher. Its one thing to have an extinguisher its another to know how to use it. This site was designed by one of my brother Fire Instructor's. It's free and done in a web power point presentation with no special program downloads.

www.fireextinguisher.com

Think about it in these Jeep terms.... Take a super modified everything you can get on a rock crawling Jeep then a driver that has never driven off road at all....Do you really think they could make the Rubicon Trail?

Asst. Fire Chief / Nationally Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (retired)
CEO, Fire - ResQ Technology
obxresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #63
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
After seeing a bad accident last week (unconsious occupents trapped in a burning car) I am upgrading too. Thanks goes out to this post for educating me on what works, and what's worthless.

I was surprised at the accident. Many people had stopped, and an unbelieveable number of people/truckers were throwing extinguishers to those helping. I bet there were 20+ empty 2.5 pounders and a few larger ones (from truckers) laying spent on the ground. Did not seem to help one bit. I was driving the company car, and unfortunately don't carry an extinguisher in it. Looks like I'll be buying 2 this weekend.
About 25 years ago I was on a road trip with my grandparents and we came across a woman rapidly unloading a station wagon full of belongings from her car on the side of I-95. As we got closer we noticed her engine was on fire. So grandpa stopped, pulled out his 2.5 lb extinguisher, and grandma called for help on the CB (this was obviously before the days of cell phones, but it was the heyday of CB use.) It seems within a minute there were 50 truckers pulled over on the side of the road (both sides,) all running up with 10 lb extinguishers (Grandpa's was worthless, and used within a second or so of pulling up to the scene.) Well, that lady's car burned up completely, in spite of the large number of extinguishers on the scene.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #64
CanadianTJguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

so basically we need to carry many different fire extinguishers meant for different purposes . with a chart and a large hand book on which one to use at the right time...

i can just picture this..

"OMG FIRE!!!!!,, WTF ARE YOU DOING USE ONE!!!"

"no no; i need to choose the right one, hmmmm?? is says here this is for smal areas...wait but this one is for electronics. where is the fire jim?"

"UNDER THE HOOD!!! AHHHH!! GIVE ME ONE!"

"hmm.? says here this one will cause engine damage..?"

"NO!! NO!!.... YOU KNOW WHAT, NVM!!!"
CanadianTJguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #65
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

We do training at work

P A S S
Pull
Aim
Squeeze
Sweep

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #66
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTJguy View Post
so basically we need to carry many different fire extinguishers meant for different purposes . with a chart and a large hand book on which one to use at the right time...

i can just picture this..

"OMG FIRE!!!!!,, WTF ARE YOU DOING USE ONE!!!"

"no no; i need to choose the right one, hmmmm?? is says here this is for smal areas...wait but this one is for electronics. where is the fire jim?"

"UNDER THE HOOD!!! AHHHH!! GIVE ME ONE!"

"hmm.? says here this one will cause engine damage..?"

"NO!! NO!!.... YOU KNOW WHAT, NVM!!!"
Didnt mean to confuse you

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #67
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

I was working Sunday night at my grocery store in the Sacramento area. It was about 10:30 at night and we were getting ready to close. While I was BSing up front with another employee someone ran in and yelled that a car was on fire in the intersection outside. My co worker and I ran outside to the sight of an old Mustang that's rear end was fully engulfed in flames. Not only was it on fire but the lady that was driving it was stuck inside.

There was about 10 guys smashing out the windows to rescue this lady. They eventually were able to pull her out through the back window. Luckily, someone ran and grabbed a few extinguishers from the nearby gas station and was able to get the fire under control. It probably saved her life because the fire was getting big fast.

The fire station is right next to our store and the firefighters always come in and shop. We asked them the next day what happened. They told us that 2 kids had hit the lady running a red light and her car caught on fire. They got out and ran. This just goes to show you how seconds can count and how a fire extinguisher can save a life. I think all cars should come stock with them by law, just like trucks have to.
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #68
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

That's awesome that she survived but how about the Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #69
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
That's awesome that she survived but how about the Mustang?
Roasted. It looked like a late 80's-early 90's style.
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #70
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

This is an interesting thread. Now I know for sure that I am carrying around a good for nothing 2.5Lb extinguisher thanks to you knowlegable guys. I have a 10Lb halon 1211 one that I am going to put in the back now and take the little one out. I will just have to figure out how to tie it down in the back so it won't bang around.

Thanks,
Dave
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #71
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any experience with FireAde 2000? I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff. I was able to pick up a few of the 16 oz extinguishers to augment my 5lb dry chem. Only thing keeping me from switching over to the 2 1/2 Lb Fire Ade is the fact that you have to have the cost of the extinguisher body, and enough friends wanting to go in on a 5 gallon container of the concentrate.

Seems great...but not sure the initial buy in is worth the cost over a comparable dry chem.

http://www.firesupplydepot.com/

Picked mine up at http://www.campingsurvival.com/fi2016ozfiex.html for cheaper than manufacturer site.

2006 LJ Rubicon

Last edited by Grt_Ape; 02-25-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #72
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread!

Subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #73
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grt_Ape View Post
Any experience with FireAde 2000? I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff. I was able to pick up a few of the 16 oz extinguishers to augment my 5lb dry chem. Only thing keeping me from switching over to the 2 1/2 Lb Fire Ade is the fact that you have to have the cost of the extinguisher body, and enough friends wanting to go in on a 5 gallon container of the concentrate.

Seems great...but not sure the initial buy in is worth the cost over a comparable dry chem.

http://www.firesupplydepot.com/

Picked mine up at http://www.campingsurvival.com/fi2016ozfiex.html for cheaper than manufacturer site.
It is very good stuff. It is not good on class C (ELECTRICAL)fires. It becomes a conductor and not good if your fuse block is flaming. Although 12v wont always kill you but it will let you know its there. Another thing is class D (METAL) fire such as magnesium found most commonly in the old VW bettle engines but some Ford and Dodge trucks have magnesium braces in the dash and Fire Ade will do the same thing water does when magnisium burns...its called Thermal Shock Explosion. In other words the fire gets hotter and more intence. ( I know kind of a backwards concept ) so even a dry chem would be better. However the cooling effect of the Fire Ade is only surpassed by co2 which does really help reduce the possiblity rekindle.

I would say its good to use for Jeepin and the best thing over dry chem for campfires that turn into bon fires!!!

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #74
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
This is an interesting thread. Now I know for sure that I am carrying around a good for nothing 2.5Lb extinguisher thanks to you knowlegable guys. I have a 10Lb halon 1211 one that I am going to put in the back now and take the little one out. I will just have to figure out how to tie it down in the back so it won't bang around.

Thanks,
Dave
OH YEAH SECURE THAT PUPPY! A 10 lbs halon will become a missle if you fracture the neck of the bottle. We tested one in the labs at the National Fire Academy I forgot how many yards it went but I dont know of any NFL quarterback would have even come remotely close to it. Look at this way, a highlift jack handle barely taps you in the head as you crawl over a rock. It hurts! Now imagine Barry Bonds swingin that jack handle at full force and knocking your head over the centerfield fence and into the top row of the stadium. That would be your extinguisher hitting you in the head under a fracture discharge.

My advice: get an approved bracket for it and SECURE IT.

Unread 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #75
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread! Like many others, I will be supplementing my two 2.5# ABC's with a 5# or 10# BC as soon as I get my stimulus tax cut... then again, let's not go there.

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.