Fire Extinguisher? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Fire Extinguisher?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #46
JohnnyYZ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've never seen the Home Depots and Walmarts carry anything worth buying. Most big stores only carry the Multi-Purpose extinguisher (ABC). Try a Fire Safety company. Just look up Fire extinguisher in the yellow pages. Get a quality one like the pics of schitzandgiggles extinguishers.

JohnnyYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #47
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I figured, I'll get one from my local welding gas supply location, I seem to recall they had a decent selection of them. Thanks JohnnyYZ!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #48
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Is there a more affordable alternative to Halotron?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #49
JohnnyYZ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

CO2 is an alternative. But they are a larger extinguisher, don't work good in cold weather. But you could always fill your tires with it in a pinch. lol.
Unread 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #50
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to this thread I just ordered one of these:

from here

http://www.allhandsfire.com/BADGER-5...RD-W-WALL-HOOK

Seventy-three bucks with shipping (Now $99) I'm keeping my 2.5lb ABC crapola extinguisher just in case someone wants to steal it, but the Purple K is going to be on the job come tonight.

Edit: updated link, price
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #51
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

After seeing a bad accident last week (unconsious occupents trapped in a burning car) I am upgrading too. Thanks goes out to this post for educating me on what works, and what's worthless.

I was surprised at the accident. Many people had stopped, and an unbelieveable number of people/truckers were throwing extinguishers to those helping. I bet there were 20+ empty 2.5 pounders and a few larger ones (from truckers) laying spent on the ground. Did not seem to help one bit. I was driving the company car, and unfortunately don't carry an extinguisher in it. Looks like I'll be buying 2 this weekend.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #52
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I've seen that new gel that some of the fire departments are using. I wonder if that stuff is being sold to civilians yet. I saw the guy dunk his arm in the stuff and then they lit his arm on fire and not one bit of him was burned. Then they used it on a small fire and it was out in seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #53
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, Where did you get that clamp mount? I haven't been able to find anything like it.

I agree, a good fire extinguisher is an obsolute necessity on the trail, but preventative care goes a long way too. Things like a CLEAN engine bay, free from oil leaks, oil residue, etc would really do wonders to prevent a small fire from getting out of hand quickly. After seeing that video, the first thing I did was clean up the residual oil from an intake leak.

What else is out there for PREVENTATIVE care, minimizing the risk of a fire getting out of control?
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #54
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

There is always inspecting your fuel lines and replacing any cracking sections.

Another good one is checking out any areas where wires may be chafing, such as through bulkheads where the grommet is not there or is there but is worn. I see a lot of winch cables that enter the engine compartment in dicey ways that will eventually rub the insulation off and will cause 400 amp arcing/burning situations. Don't forget that arcs like that are hotter than the surface of the sun!

72 CJ5 258-3spd d30-d20-d44
[QUOTE=Bsktbll109;6293409]Does your rearend guy do gears?[/QUOTE]
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #55
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good info Johnny.Thanks for the education on extinquisher's.
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #56
JohnnyYZ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy View Post
Thanks to this thread I just ordered one of these:

Good Choice. That 5lb Purple K is like having 2 5lb Dry Chem extinguishers.

Ya. They say it only takes like 4-6 minutes for a fire to get out of control. Portable extinguishers are meant to nip it in the butt before it's too late.
Unread 10-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #57
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I checked out Grainger but they had a decent selection of average extinguishers. Then I found this place...

http://www.labsafety.com/store/Publi...-S-18841068521

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #58
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

I carry two, a standard dry chem for fires I come across...And a CO2 just in case the jeep catches fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #59
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok well I service and install all types of Fire Extinguishers and Suppression systems. Basically a 2.5 lb ABC extinguisher is useless and do not pass any minimum Fire Codes. It's nice cause its small but thats about it. Minimum 5lb ABC but I would recommend a 10lb if you have the room. Any make sure there is a hose with the extinguisher cause these things don't work upside down or side ways. With a hose you can stick it in, point it up kind of thing. If you got an engine fire you don't want open the hood anyways right away. You want to just get the hose in there and fire the extinguisher off.
BC Fire Extinguishers are more effective on Flammable Liquids than ABC extinguishers
Purple K Extinguishers are more effective than BC extinguishers
Halon is expensive and is to be taken out of service when inspected and can't be recharged so don't bother. This includes 1211, and 1301. The military are the only ones aloud to use this stuff.
There are Halon replacement clean agents out there. But these are more for Computer and Electronic equipment. These are not effective on fires outside and in low temperature. It takes the oxygen out of the air. Lots of that outside. And $$$$
If ABC powdered extinguishers are fired in an engine and it gets into the intake it will pretty much destroy your engine. There is metal in the powder than adheres to any hot surface. Not good for engines
BC powder is pretty much baking soda with additives in it to prevent caking
Look for the Rating on the fire extinguisher. It's more important than size.
Example a 2.5 ABC rating is 1A10BC. A 5lb ABC is 4A40BC
This means the 5lb is 3 times more effective at fighting Wood fires, 40 times more effective fighting Flammable liquids.
Oh and Don't buy a cheap plastic handled, plastic valve Extinguisher. Your rig is worth a lot of money. Get one worth with a Metal handle and internals. Amerex and Flag and Sentry are all quality Extinguishers.
Don't worry about the Powder packing or caking. Powders back in the 70's-80's did this. The new powders are silicones(spelling?). Basically silicone is added to prevent this. Turning of an extinguisher and hammering on it is actually bad for the extinguisher and it can clog the syphon tube.
If you fire even a small amount of powder out of the extinguisher it needs to be recharged. It won't reseal.
Oh and Look at the date on the Extinguisher. It should be stamped on the bottom or on the Decal somewhere. Extinguishers should be recharged every 6 years no matter what.
As for suppression systems, I wouldn't bother. The off-road systems would be the only thing I would put on a Jeep. Any there's not enough room for a 25-30lb cylinder and you would have to get it serviced every year to make sure everything is proper. Halotron or Clean agent system would be useless in the winter if your in a cold climate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by JohnnyYZ : 10-08-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: More Info

Great answer Johnny !!! Keep up the good work! Although I must say I am slightly embarrassed as there are many firefighters who answered this thread and could not come up with this answer.

2.5 lb extinguisher = paperweight
5 lb extinguisher = feel good and will handle the incipient stage of a Jeep fire
10lb extinguisher = if you do any off roading this is the one you want....remember your Jeep fire could be the cause of the big wildfire this season.

Retired Assistant Chief / Nationally Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator
CEO Fire - ResQ Technology
obxresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #60
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kercher View Post
Jerry, Where did you get that clamp mount? I haven't been able to find anything like it.
I found it at a combination welding supply and industrial safety supply store years ago that had a big selection of fire extinguishers meant for commerical businesses. For sure you won't find that style of mount at a Home Depot or regular hardware store.

And Obxresq, I'm thinking of adding a 10# on top of my 5#. Since the back seat is permanently gone, I have all kinds of places to mount it. Thanks for that idea to carry a ten pounder, I think it's a good one.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.