Fire Extinguisher? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Fire Extinguisher?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh1075 View Post
It kinda surprises me that some one videoed it, then again I would. i'd be pissed if I rolled/caught on fire or something and didnt have it on tape.

anyway at that point no extinguisher is gonna do any good. Thats where we pull a 1"3/4 attack line off the truck.

The extinguisher itself should tell what type and give you an idea of what size area it will cover( like a 2x or something its been awhile since I had my portable extinguishers class).
Well the filming started after it became a lost battle. Up until that point there were at least 8 of us working on it.
I am sure the extinguisher said what size it was and the rating. But it got burned up with the rest of the stuff. You can see it near the rear passenger tire. It blew up and nozzle/valve and stem are a few feet away from it.
I dropped it and started shoveling when it ran out. I recall wanting an ABC one so i think that's what it was and I'm pretty sure it was 2.5 pounds. The other guy had the same.

I would like to take a class if there is one near by. That seems like a great idea. Maybe I can get my office on board with it?!

72 CJ5 258-3spd d30-d20-d44
[QUOTE=Bsktbll109;6293409]Does your rearend guy do gears?[/QUOTE]
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i had a smaller one i bought for about 15 bux like a 2 pounder barely had 5 seconds of charge in it barely put out a small gas fire ina chevy tpi motor. i have since upgraded twice in size as i find em or get em on sale. dont skimp on size buy the biggest one you can. and remember to give it a good shake a few good raps t o loosen up all the compacted powder inside of it. i keep mine between the door and the seat on the floor right there easy to grab. and sadly enough im the only one that had an extinguisher on my last trip. i was also the only one that brought air for tires, flares, a shovel, rope, and extra flashlights
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is mounted on the roll bar right behind my seat. It's not a big one, but it's better than trying to blow one out. If I can't put it out with that, I'll just let it go and collect on insurance.

Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
bh1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
Well the filming started after it became a lost battle. Up until that point there were at least 8 of us working on it.
I am sure the extinguisher said what size it was and the rating. But it got burned up with the rest of the stuff. You can see it near the rear passenger tire. It blew up and nozzle/valve and stem are a few feet away from it.
I dropped it and started shoveling when it ran out. I recall wanting an ABC one so i think that's what it was and I'm pretty sure it was 2.5 pounds. The other guy had the same.

I would like to take a class if there is one near by. That seems like a great idea. Maybe I can get my office on board with it?!

Its a great class, you learn about the different types and their applications, technique and all kinds of other stuff.

I got it as a part of my rookie school. Check with the local fd, and see if the local community college has any fd related classes (like continuing ed type stuff) Here it will cost if your not with the fd or ems, but you could talk your emloyer into paying!
NIGHT CREW #023
bh1075 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's kind of interesting that the guy with the FJ didn't have an extinguisher within reach, rather than have to run to somebody else's rig for help.
Seconds count in a fire as was pointed out.
Had HE had one, he could have possibly either put the fire out, or kept it under control until you all helped with yours. Just a thought.
I wasn't there.
But this is a good wake-up call. I think I'll replace my 2.5 with a 5 too.
Sucks he lost his rig.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5 View Post
Any chance I could get a picture of your setup Jerry?
Here ya go.
fireext-flashlight.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #22
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Something else to be aware of. I've had several of the Kidde and other home improvement store extinguishers in my Jeep and every one of them has died just from sitting. I finally talked to a fire extinguisher specialty store, and they told me that as the metal canister and plastic valve components temperature cycle they expand and contract at different rates allowing the pressurized propellant to leak out leaving you with a cake of retardant at the bottom of a non-rechargeable canister. They recommended several 5 pound all metal extinguishers they carry in the $50 range.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #23
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Good point on the all metal extinguisher--that also came up in the conversation with my fire-safety store buddy. He also mentioned that trying to put out an engine fire by shooting the fire ext. through the radiator was probably not a good idea. He also said tires were almost impossible to extinguish. Scary stuff--we've had two vehicle fires in our club, so it does happen more than one might think.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #24
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

One problem with powder type extinguishers (even 5 pounders) is that the powder can shake down and "cake" in the bottom due to vibration. Powder type extinguishers, in vehicles need to be removed and shaken up regularly and certainly before use. If the powder has caked up sometimes all you get is a PFFFt out of them (gas but no/little powder).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #25
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

I like that location Jerry. I may try to go that way also.

72 CJ5 258-3spd d30-d20-d44
[QUOTE=Bsktbll109;6293409]Does your rearend guy do gears?[/QUOTE]
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #26
or8008
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no need to show it off
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #27
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

A tip I got from the local old-fart fire extinguisher guy - if you have a powder-type extinguisher, take it from it's mount every 6 months or so, and shake it to see if you can feel the powder moving. If not, use a rubber mallet and give it some good taps on the base and shake it good. You always want the shtuff moving around so that it does it's job when you need it.

If you have to use a powder-based one though, either plan on many hours of cleanup, or scrapping a motor
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #28
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to rig up a dump system in engine compartment like was stock in the Aurora, or what is used in race/drag cars. A couple nozzles on the inside of the hood connected to a five poinder mounted somewhere?
The systems are pretty simple, and shouldn't weigh much.
I'm gunna' keep my eyes open at the Off Road Show in Pomona this weekend to see what others are using.
RJC#512
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #29
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

any summit or jegs magazine will have a fire suppression system with a pin or lever activation. its required on racecars when you get to a certain speed. its a halon ( or equivilant) based system. expect to pay at least $300 and have to plumb it in bottle cables wires and hoses.
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenCorax View Post
any summit or jegs magazine will have a fire suppression system with a pin or lever activation. its required on racecars when you get to a certain speed. its a halon ( or equivilant) based system. expect to pay at least $300 and have to plumb it in bottle cables wires and hoses.
If it's only $300 I'll do it as a weekend project for cheap insurance.
BTW: Halon is gone. It eats the o-zone. Too bad too, 'cuz that stuff put out a fire really quickly. Let's blame Al Gore.
RJC#512

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.