JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Fire Extinguisher? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/fire-extinguisher-612353/)

5artist5 09-29-2008 09:23 AM

Fire Extinguisher?

What kind do you carry?
How big is it?
What is it rated for?
Where did you get it?
__________________________________________________ ______________
Have you had to use it?
How well did it work?

I have been carrying an extinguisher in my jeep since day one. I felt safe with it. It was the kind that is 3 inches in diameter and 12 or 14 inches tall.
(I think it's a 2.5 pound, but I could be wrong about that)

Anyway, My other buddy had one also about the same size. They were both ABC. Or BC. Another truck we were wheeling with this weekend caught fire on the trail and these things were WORTHLESS! They didn't do a bit of good.
After they were spent we shoveled dirt with shovels, Frisbees and our hands... all no good.
(Here is a video if you are interested)

So I am looking to get one that is way more effective.

Suggestions?

ZX14Rider 09-29-2008 09:57 AM

Wow that was quite a vid..... :eek:

I'm using two Kidde's, I think they are 2.5 lbs. each.....Guess i better get with my brother who is a fireman for something more effective.. :(

ktaylor448 09-29-2008 09:58 AM

i pull a firetruck

5artist5 09-29-2008 10:06 AM

Yeah, it was really quite frustrating realizing that this useless fire extinguisher had been giving me a false sense of security all this time. The thing was literally worthless.

ZX14Rider 09-29-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5artist5 (Post 5769624)
Yeah, it was really quite frustrating realizing that this useless fire extinguisher had been giving me a false sense of security all this time. The thing was literally worthless.

Hate it that someones rig burned up as well.. :mad:

ZX14Rider 09-29-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktaylor448 (Post 5769596)
i pull a firetruck

Your thoughts on what would work best ?? :confused:

mecompco 09-29-2008 10:41 AM

One of my clients runs a fire extinguisher business (he is a retired Fire Chief). He says anything less than a 5 pounder is basically worthless. I have a 2.5 in the cab area but I'm going to add a 5lb. one in the cargo area.

mdm 09-29-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5artist5 (Post 5769454)
...Another truck we were wheeling with this weekend caught fire on the trail and these things were WORTHLESS! They didn't do a bit of good...

How far had the fire gotten when the extinguishers were used?

5artist5 09-29-2008 11:19 AM

It was starting to come through the firewall on the passenger side.

Camo Deere 09-29-2008 02:20 PM

Wow.. crazy video. Glad no one was hurt. Sucks about his rig, too.

I need to look for a extinglisher aswell.

jeff@zina.com 09-29-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5artist5 (Post 5769888)
It was starting to come through the firewall on the passenger side.

By that time you just stand back and get out the marshmallows. Normal extinguishers work on normal small fires. If it's bigger than your head, get away.

That said, I have this: http://www.h3rperformance.com/mx250r.htm

I inherited it for the price of a recharge, not sure I'd buy it outright. I have a set of Velcro tiedowns for it, but I really should mount it better, it's on the rear cage and gets banged sometimes.

I have used fire extinguishers a number of times, never on my own vehicle and never after it was as large as yours. I more often use them on someone's campfire stupidity. It's been a number of years since I've had to use one, but I carry one anyway.

Jeff

Jerry Bransford 09-29-2008 03:15 PM

To me, any fire extinguisher smaller than 5 lbs. is not worth carrying as a primary extinguisher. Mine is mounted to a snap-in spring clip mount bolted to my seat rails in front. Out of the way yet handy if needed and not at head-height on "display" like where some like to mount theirs where it could become a missle in an accident.

5artist5 09-29-2008 03:20 PM

When you say the rear of your cage do you mean the bars closest to your tailgate?

I am a firm believer in having something like that close at hand. From the time my buddy said fire to the time my extinguisher was in my hand was literally less than 2 seconds.

On a thing like fire it seems like if you need you extinguisher, you need it RIGHT NOW!
Not, "hang on while I go around and open up my tailgate, or crawl over my stuff and go get it."

I am leaning right now the way of getting two 5 pound bottles. One in my easy reach and one in easy reach of my passenger.

5artist5 09-29-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 5771143)
To me, any fire extinguisher smaller than 5 lbs. is not worth carrying as a primary extinguisher. Mine is mounted to a snap-in spring clip mount bolted to my seat rails in front. Out of the way yet handy if needed and not at head-height on "display" like where some like to mount theirs where it could become a missle in an accident.

Any chance I could get a picture of your setup Jerry?

bh1075 09-29-2008 03:30 PM

It kinda surprises me that some one videoed it, then again I would. i'd be pissed if I rolled/caught on fire or something and didnt have it on tape.

anyway at that point no extinguisher is gonna do any good. Thats where we pull a 1"3/4 attack line off the truck.

The extinguisher itself should tell what type and give you an idea of what size area it will cover( like a 2x or something its been awhile since I had my portable extinguishers class).

The time now is 07:48 PM.