Facts on Off Roading with Dana 35 Rear Axles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Facts on Off Roading with Dana 35 Rear Axles

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

View Poll Results: Myth or fiction - D35's don't hold up?
Off Road with factory D35 (LSD or locked) and No Problems 70 57.38%
OFf Road w/ D35 (LSD or locked) with Chrome Moly axle shafts and No Problems 17 13.93%
Off Road with Super D35, and No Problems 10 8.20%
Have broken axle shafts when off road with D35 rear axle 22 18.03%
Have broken axle shafts when off road with D35 and chrome moly axle shafts 2 1.64%
Have broken axle shafts when off road with Superf 35 Kit 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #31
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have had a 35C and used the jeep for both daily driver and offroad use. It sported 4.10 gears with a 4.0 and a trac-loc. I blew up the trac-loc 3 times (blew up the spider gears) before upgrading to a Detroit soft locker (full case unit) and on 33's. I carried extra shafts with me but NEVER needed them. Took my jeep most places you shouldnt with that setup, and actually blew up the 30. It think how long the 35 survives is up to the driver and maintence. The biggest thing they cannot take is bouncing thats the best way to send one to the scrap yard.

Now I have a full-floating D70 with 1.5" shafts so im not so worried anymore, but i did sell off the detroit, both shafts off to another guy.

Unread 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #32
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ has a stock D35 open and was used as a county search and rescue vehicle prior to my taking it over. It had many different drivers and went places a stock XJ should never have gone and I am still running the original stock axle. Would I put in an 8.25 if I were given one, absolutely but knock on wood, I havn't had any issues with mine.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #33
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
My XJ has a stock D35 open and was used as a county search and rescue vehicle prior to my taking it over. It had many different drivers and went places a stock XJ should never have gone and I am still running the original stock axle. Would I put in an 8.25 if I were given one, absolutely but knock on wood, I havn't had any issues with mine.
Tick, tick, tick..... time bomb looking for a place to explode.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

If you know what you are doing and know the limits of your jeep then you shouldn't have problems. I've gone through about 5-6 sets of spiders, axles housings and shafts. All my heavy foot. BUT I also have way more hp and tq then most here.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #35
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Thanks..... That is the kind of hard feedback I'm looking for.
Your uncle & I sound alike in our trail riding.... but I'm on 33's with chrome/moly shafts. I have started getting into some heavy 3 diamond trails and some easier 4 diamond trails. Love it but wondering if my D35 does also?

RJ
In a TJ (if I ever have to make the descision again) I'd go with a Super 35 over an 8.8 next time. My wifes cousin runs a Super 35 on 35" TrXus MTs flawlessly.

In an XJ or YJ I'd get a non c-clip D35. I ran one, welded on 33s, in my XJ and loved every second of it ! cheap, light and lots of ground clearance.
two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #36
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the theory is..... with the Super 35, no need to worry about it being a c-clip axle?

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #37
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So the theory is..... with the Super 35, no need to worry about it being a c-clip axle?

RJ
I don't understand all this talk about the C clips..... C clips are not the cause of the problem. I hae NEVER seen a C clip break, come lose, etc. and cause axle shaft failure, or any of the million other issues with a D35 axle. Once the axle shaft snaps, or the diff explodes, the C clip may fall out of place, but this is really a moot issue as the damage has already been done.
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #38
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The issue is that with a c-clip axle, the only thing retaining the axle shaft is the c-clip. Nobody cares about the C-clip itself If the axle shaft breaks, the wheel falls off. In a non-c-clip axle, the axle is retained by a plate at the end of the axle tubes. You can break an axle shaft and still have a rollable vehicle. You could even pull the broken stub or spider gears and and drive out in front-wheel-drive.

http://mototux.blogspot.com/2008/09/...-are-evil.html
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #39
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The issue is that with a c-clip axle, the only thing retaining the axle shaft is the c-clip. Nobody cares about the C-clip itself If the axle shaft breaks, the wheel falls off. In a non-c-clip axle, the axle is retained by a plate at the end of the axle tubes. You can break an axle shaft and still have a rollable vehicle. You could even pull the broken stub or spider gears and and drive out in front-wheel-drive.

http://mototux.blogspot.com/2008/09/...-are-evil.html
My point is the C clip isn't the problem, it's a cauualty of a bigger problem. As far as the axle walkout, disc brakes will solve the issue as well. I just would not spend the time or money doing a conversion on a D35. No matter how much $$ you toss at a D35, it will never be a decent axle. A correctly built 8.8 is still a C clip, but who cares.... a built 8.8 is comparable to a D60 on the charts. If I remember correctly, it's just a hair weaker than a D60 and is a much better axle than the D35 could ever dream of being.
Unread 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I don't understand all this talk about the C clips..... .
Quote:
My point is the C clip isn't the problem, it's a cauualty of a bigger problem. As far as the axle walkout, disc brakes will solve the issue as well.
You asked a question....got a clear, intellegent answer...... and then ignored it??
If a C-clip axle breaks, the fact that it's has only a c-clip holding it in is a fairly serious problem.....
thus, "all the talk about c-clips".
So if a Super 35 kit makes the axle strong enough to ignore that it's a c-clip axle, that's a good thing!

And, disk breaks won't solve the problem if you don't have them!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #41
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lumping LSDs and lockers together into your first choice seriously skewed the results, lockers and LSDs should each have their own separate category. That's because it would be rare for a D35 to have a problem with a LSD but it would be common with a locker.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #42
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK...let me rephrase.
Around here, an open 35 is not an option an any trails that I've been on..... unless D30 is locked??

RJ

lets see some pics of these hard trails?

to add to the thread.

I broke my 35 with a detroit and stock shafts (yea it was bound to happen).
I have also wheeled with people on stock shafts and 33's with a welded rear and they hammer it and dont break.

Depends on who is driving and the situations you get yourself into really. You should just get an 8.8 in there and be done with it.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #43
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't understand all this talk about the C clips..... C clips are not the cause of the problem. I hae NEVER seen a C clip break, come lose, etc. and cause axle shaft failure, or any of the million other issues with a D35 axle. Once the axle shaft snaps, or the diff explodes, the C clip may fall out of place, but this is really a moot issue as the damage has already been done.
X2, the c-clip itself is not an issue and the c-clip itself rarely (if ever) gives any problem. In fact, the c-clip and the groove in the axle shaft the c-clip sits in is protected from failure by being positioned behind the splines of the carrier.

The actual problem D35c axles has is that when the axle shaft breaks between the carrier and hub, there is nothing to hold it in like there is with other axles like a Dana 44.

The c-clip itself is not the problem, it's the weakness of the axle shaft and the fact there is no axle retainer bracket at the hub end of the axle shaft. For example, the Ford 8.8 axle uses c-clips but its 31 spline axle shafts are stronger so the shaft doesn't break and slide out like it does so often in a Dana 35c that only uses 27 spline axle shafts.

So while the Dana 35c has problems, with axle shaft breakages that allow the broken stub & wheel to slide off, that is not caused by the c-clip itself failing or breaking. Blaming the c-clip because a broken axle shaft slides out would be like blaming the hip joint for a broken shin bone.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #44
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

RJ
I was just considering the two situations I posted.

Leaf Sprung axle: its super easy and cheap to swap a non c-clip D35. and I've had really really good luck with them. I would also contend that they are somehow stronger. haven't put much thought to it, just havn't broke one or heard of a non c-clip breaking near as often as a c-clip D35.

Coil Sprung axle: the head ache and cost associated with all the brackets needed isn't worth my time or money.

Quote:
My point is the C clip isn't the problem, it's a cauualty of a bigger problem. As far as the axle walkout, disc brakes will solve the issue as well. I just would not spend the time or money doing a conversion on a D35. No matter how much $$ you toss at a D35, it will never be a decent axle. A correctly built 8.8 is still a C clip, but who cares.... a built 8.8 is comparable to a D60 on the charts. If I remember correctly, it's just a hair weaker than a D60 and is a much better axle than the D35 could ever dream of being.
D35 vs 8.8 vs D60: now this I haven't heard before? What level of "built" 8.8 are we talking? and for the record, I'd be no more happy with the 8.8 being c-clip as I would be the D35.

For me - I see the Super 35 kit as being easier and cheaper in the long run. It provides the desired outcome of running 35's with confidence in a straight forward manner, that's all. And most people that want to run bigger tires (that I run into) usually go to a D44 or D60.

two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #45
rufrdr

I put about 50k on my 98 TJ with the stock 35, 31" tires, 4.0L, manual trans and limited slip. then I converted it to a DL and the super shafts and put another 30k of on and off road. Some of the off road was pretty rough, bad enough to flatten my muffler and gouge the heck out of the skid plates. Didn't have any problems with the rear axle. the fuel sender quit working from all the crashing around though!
rufrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.