Facts on Off Roading with Dana 35 Rear Axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Facts on Off Roading with Dana 35 Rear Axles

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: Myth or fiction - D35's don't hold up?
Off Road with factory D35 (LSD or locked) and No Problems 70 57.38%
OFf Road w/ D35 (LSD or locked) with Chrome Moly axle shafts and No Problems 17 13.93%
Off Road with Super D35, and No Problems 10 8.20%
Have broken axle shafts when off road with D35 rear axle 22 18.03%
Have broken axle shafts when off road with D35 and chrome moly axle shafts 2 1.64%
Have broken axle shafts when off road with Superf 35 Kit 1 0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Facts on Off Roading with Dana 35 Rear Axles

I want hands on experience, not what you've heard or read. I read they are terible but run into many on the trail that just act with reasonable caution and claim to have have no problems??
As I get into more and more advanced trails, I wonder how protected I am?

Please ........ Explain below how you voted and any variations or exceptions.......

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You forgot one:

On road with Dana 35 and 31" tires. <-- That's me. Twice.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/group...-35-assassins/
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can not vote because I personally have not broken one, but I have seen two break.
The first one broke halfway up a rock ledge and they rolled twice back down.
(that is when I replaced mine with a 9 inch)
The second one was going across a ditch.
Go to youtube and put in Dana 35 break.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where's the option for stock D35 open?
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First thing you have to understand about the D35 is people with the 4.0L are going to have a different experience than people with the 2.5L. Tire size and wheel-n style will also play a role. However, the D35 will take abuse only for so long, before it explodes. It might explode on the trail. it might explode while driving to work.

I replaced my D35 while I still had 30 inch tires as I didn't want to risk it any longer. I never had any trouble, but there was a spell where every time we went off road, someone had D35 issues in the group. I knew a guy that bragged about his Super 35 and the fact that he never had an issue out of it. Then one day his Daughter was driving the Jeep to school, and the D35 exploded at 45 mph and sent Jeep into a roll..... luckily she was not hurt.

Locking a D35 is just asking for trouble IMO. The D35 has weak axle shafts, weak axle tubes, drum brakes, brackets made from coke cans, if you change the gear ratio, the R&P is small and fragile. Like a chain, your axle is only as strong as the weakest link in it. Most of these issues can be resolved to a limited degree... However, by time you do so, you will have a boat load of money tied up in what is commonly considered a second rate axle at best.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
AJ1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have Stock 30 and 35 in my 98 TJ w/33x12.50's. I have about 45k miles on this set up. A few years ago I bought a TrueTrack for the rear and 4.88 gears. I've never installed them because I believe the axles will break, and I don't have the $ to replace them. I figured this out after I bought the parts.

I can pretty much get anywhere I want. The only thing that stops me is when I feel I'm about to roll the jeep. I drive carefully, where other drivers use the skinny pedal, I pick a better line or just drive smarter. I know that if I start to spin then suddenly regain traction while heavy in the throttle, something will likely break, so I avoid that. I have quite a bit of useful articulation, and use it.

I doubt they would last if I were climbing waterfalls or hopping ledges, but that is not common where I live.
AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1 View Post

--snip--

I doubt they would last if I were climbing waterfalls or hopping ledges, but that is not common where I live.

Where you live and wheel plays a role. In my area, a D35 has a short life span on the trails unless in stock condition. Locking a D35 with non stock size tires, in this area, is like the kiss of death. However, in Florida, because of the sandy soil, they have much better experience with locking a D35, even with larger tires.
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Where's the option for stock D35 open?
Open 35 is not an option for any off roading more than a drive in the woods or across a field. JMO

Can't cover every combo of gears, tire, engines, etc. Tried to list most likely combos, from what I see out there.
Have only road trails with one TJ with open frt & rear axles and he held us up anytime we hit more than a smooth hill climb!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Okay - I'm gonna preface this with I do not have a D35 but I'm speaking/voting for my uncle who runs a '97 TJ, D35, locked, 4.10s, on 31's, manual 4 banger:

We have wheeled many times together and he has gone out a handful of times when I wasn't there. He has had no issues with this set-up. His wheelin style is not aggressive and the trails he runs at the high end of rating would be moderate/difficult. No rock crawling so to speak. He's pretty light on the skinny pedal and runs a Teraflex hand throttle so he sets his rpm's on a climb and runs steady.

All that being said, he is looking at jumping to 33s and when he does he'll probably at least swap to a SuperD35.

Just thought I'd share the info.............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Open 35 is not an option for any off roading more than a drive in the woods or accross a field.
you're joking, right? my open D35 did just fine on the mtn trails in western Va.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
mj24lyons
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Open 35 is not an option for any off roading more than a drive in the woods or accross a field.
^^^ You have to be kidding?!?!?!?!?
mj24lyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Where's the option for I broke a shaft into 3 pieces and broke all the spider gears open on 33s?

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

That piece of shaft is stuck in the spider gear due to the splines twisting so bad.
image-1236143864.jpg  

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Okay - I'm gonna preface this with I do not have a D35 but I'm speaking/voting for my uncle who runs a '97 TJ, D35, locked, 4.10s, on 31's, manual 4 banger:

---snip--

All that being said, he is looking at jumping to 33s and when he does he'll probably at least swap to a SuperD35.

Just thought I'd share the info.............

You cannot compare a 4 banger (2.5L) to the experience with a 4.0L...
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Open 35 is not an option for any off roading more than a drive in the woods or across a field.
ok buddy...
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.