Is an Extra Gas Can Needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Is an Extra Gas Can Needed?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Tneagle
2011 JK Wrangler 

Is an Extra Gas Can Needed?

So agian I'll bear my newbie stripes. New to Jeeps and 4 wheeling. Heading to Colorado this August. Will be doing the easy stuff ( all stock 2011 Sahara). How important would you say it is to carry a spare can of gas? I mean is it really necessary or just cool to have?

Tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
bobjp

For most it's just another accessory for looks. It's not a necessity. There are gas stations everywhere. Simply don't go offroad with a 1/4 tank, and you will definitely be okay. When I do week long offroading/exploring trips, I fill up once per day if just doing dirt/back roads and don't sweat it.
Unread 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy always has two empty gas cans on his Jeep, I always ask him if there's gas in it. I don't think they've ever been used before.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you don't need it, until you need it. Like if you poke a hole in your tank 50 miles out in the wild with no cell service.

People who go into the wilderness ill equipped and unprepared cost everyone else a lot of time and money when they need to be rescued.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Amen, Jeff.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I carry a 5 gallon can and 5 gallons of water. When home I use the gas to fill my riding mower every 2 weeks. But when I camp, which I do a lot. We use the gas for everything, ATV's and generators. If your not using the gas often, it's best to leave the tanks empty as you don't want Ethanol gas to sit in your cans too long. As for the water, it's good for washing your hands, or helping a stranded motorist that over heated on the interstate. I wouldn't drink it unless i was in dire need. And then it should be boiled first. They do make a tool chest that looks like a gas can. Maybe for Christmas...

image-2197072858.jpg
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
Mattific
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I always liked that tool gas can idea but I just can't imagine how loud and annoying that would be unless I strapped the tools down somehow
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. You'd have to pack each tray with foam of some sort.
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I all ways run with a extra 3 gallons of gas. On or off the trail.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Personally, I never liked the idea of 5 or 10 gallons of flammable liquid strapped on the back of my vehicle.
Even a minor rear end collision could rupture one of those cans...
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
Tneagle
2011 JK Wrangler 

So what type of gas milege should I get when off roading? I average 19 just normal driving.
Tneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
So what type of gas milege should I get when off roading? I average 19 just normal driving.
Depends on what you're doing.
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post

That all depends on how many miles you drive and what type of wheeling you are doing.

If you start the day with a full tank (as you should unless you are on a multi-day trail), you can expect to use anywhere from 1/4 tank to 3/4 a tank. Are you pushing the skinny pedal a lot? Well you will use more. Are you able to just let the jeep crawl along? In that case you wont use very much at all.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Indy

I never checked the mpg on my sami or my jeep. I know my f150 would go from 18 to about 6 while hunting. I say you always top up before you leave the pavement and if possible always carry an extra can of gas. Worst case scenario you probably need a full can for lawnmowers etc when you get home. It's going to cost you the same whether it saves your life or not.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

For driving around my area (which im familiar with and know) I don't carry extra and always fill up at 1/2 tank. For offroading, road trips ect... I have minimum 5 extra gallons with me.

Always be prepared.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.