Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #91
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bump that other thread dirrected me here, thanks
armyRN, I want that light weight trailer.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #92
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Couple of thoughts to add. I carry a 5 gal Jerry can for gas but really don't like picking it up and trying to pour through the cheap spouts that are now available for unleaded gas. Instead I use a super siphon hose from Lowes and leave the can in the rack. Works great and this 58 y/o does not have to lift and hold a messy can. A few shakes on the hose and it siphons well.
Two spare tires thoughts: I carry an on board air compressor, and a cheap 12v pump for a back up. I carry a good tire repair kit (about $40) also. A couple spare valve stems and cores, and I usually can fix or keep something flat related going until I get home or to a larger town.
Tumbleweed01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #93
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01 View Post
Couple of thoughts to add. I carry a 5 gal Jerry can for gas but really don't like picking it up and trying to pour through the cheap spouts that are now available for unleaded gas. Instead I use a super siphon hose from Lowes and leave the can in the rack. Works great and this 58 y/o does not have to lift and hold a messy can. A few shakes on the hose and it siphons well.
Two spare tires thoughts: I carry an on board air compressor, and a cheap 12v pump for a back up. I carry a good tire repair kit (about $40) also. A couple spare valve stems and cores, and I usually can fix or keep something flat related going until I get home or to a larger town.
That is about the best idea I have ever heard when dealing with these new crappy can nozzles. Thank you for sharing this.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
Bump that other thread dirrected me here, thanks
armyRN, I want that light weight trailer.
Thanks. If you can wrench on a Jeep you can easily replicate this trailer. A buddy and I plan on taking my other Jeep (a TJ) and this trailer to Alaska this summer. We'll be taking the ferry (in May - already bought our tickets) from Bellingham WA to Haines, Alaska, then driving (750 miles) to Anchorage, and then basically up towards Fairbanks, then heading east to Canada, and then heading south back to WA camping and sightseeing along the way (approximately 2500 miles from Anchorage to back home in Olympia). We'll be sticking to main roads, but any chances we have to get off the beaten path we'll take it.

I need to change out the hitch so I've got more flexibility (another trailer project).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
willys-jeep-trailer.jpg   willys-jeep-trailer1.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #95
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
...Haines, Alaska, then driving (750 miles) to Anchorage, and then basically up towards Fairbanks...
Be prepared for broken headlights and a dinged windshield. You might put rock guards on the headlights but you can't do much about the rock magnet we call a windshield.
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #96
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Be prepared for broken headlights and a dinged windshield. You might put rock guards on the headlights but you can't do much about the rock magnet we call a windshield.
Good point. I've got rock guards on the headlights already (but I'll pack a spare bulb or two just in case). Nothing I can do for the windshield - it just might end up being part of the price of admission to Alaska. We'll see. Fortunately Jeep windshields are flat and cheap(er) to replace (I've already replaced it once).
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #97
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Two tips for armyrn. Get a copy of the Milepost book before you go. Incredible, current detail of the roads. And try to set aside a couple hours in Fairbanks to go to the University and tour the museum there. Worth it.
Tumbleweed01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #98
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, everyone has been telling me about the Milepost book. I've got it, and everything everyone has said about it is true - awesome reference book. It's one of the books I like to pull out when I'm sitting down to read.

And we'll definitely be planning to spend a good day in Fairbanks.
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #99
LostJeeper

Still like this thread while mine needs to go into the woods for a few days. For lost people it might take a little more to be full expedition.
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #100
LostJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by battman View Post
I am in the same boat as you my friend. I also work Search and Rescue. I am running a 33in tire but moving to 35's soon.

A SEARCH AND RESCUE rig must be set up with the best of both worlds.

It's great seeing another SAR member here on the forum.

Are you a paid SAR team member?
No i dont get paid to do SAR Im full time Army I just help out when ever I can.
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #101
JEEP_Nut1218
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cant believe Lo2aY hasn't chimed in yet. He's got an awesome LJ and actually explores with it.

I hope he doesn't mind me posting pics of his rig

Check out his thread for more pics and info

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...2/index70.html

JEEP_Nut1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #102
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yep, those lights make that rig HARDCORE!

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #103
dustinGERSTEL
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lo2aY Has the perfect setup for an Overland Build. I'm glad their is finally a thread for expedition builds.
-4" RC X-Series Lift / 33" x 12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MT/R's
dustinGERSTEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #104
yj4trails
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread. Lots of info. This is the direction I am heading with my trail jeep. Have an old m416 that I have been building. Have to finish the trailer. Been thinkin about putting a little 2000lb atv winch under back bumper of the trailer. Just in case the trails get to tight I can pull the trailer around an obstacle. Still need to build a lid for it also. Also small cargo carrier on top of trailer for wood.
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #105
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same storage predicament as everyone else, it seems. I almost thought about keeping my hardtop just to have rack-space on top of it...but I'd honestly rather pull a trailer than put more weight way up high on my TJ. Now I just have to afford the trailer...maybe if the hardtop sells I'll have some funds to get started with.

Awesome info on the thread. My only edit to it, at this point: always carry some firepower.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.