Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #76
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to applaud you on a GREAT thread. As an adventurer/Explorer of or great country I whole hardely on the 2wd exploration therory. The utmost Ive realized is reliablity. Most of the trips I take now are based from a motorhome basecamp.So towabilty,reliability,comfort,safety all play into the picture.
EVERY one of your ideas is right on the money.We each need to use the ones that suit our own needs.I wont be blasting through South America soon but hope to explore our SW deserts soon.Each brings its own set of challenges and joys.
The most IMPORTANT part of this whole thread if Im correct is to get out as much as possible and enjoy our world.
Every trip I take in ANY vehicile is some kind of expedition whether to the Smokey Mts or into the city for real Mexican food. Take pleasure in every single adventure.
Ron

rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #77
Diggs9

Quote:
Originally Posted by battman View Post
Got this picture sent to me by a friend. Now that is Killer!

two of my favorite past times ! Jeepin and floatin the river !
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #78
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
I would like to applaud you on a GREAT thread. As an adventurer/Explorer of or great country I whole hardely on the 2wd exploration therory. The utmost Ive realized is reliablity. Most of the trips I take now are based from a motorhome basecamp.So towabilty,reliability,comfort,safety all play into the picture.
EVERY one of your ideas is right on the money.We each need to use the ones that suit our own needs.I wont be blasting through South America soon but hope to explore our SW deserts soon.Each brings its own set of challenges and joys.
The most IMPORTANT part of this whole thread if Im correct is to get out as much as possible and enjoy our world.
Every trip I take in ANY vehicile is some kind of expedition whether to the Smokey Mts or into the city for real Mexican food. Take pleasure in every single adventure.
Ron
You got it brother...."Get out and enjoy our world". Hell I don't care If I am in my Jeep or my mini van. Some folks spend to much time trying to get there Jeep to look a certin way as if they think the tougher it looks the further they can travel into the "Back of Beyond". I stand frim on building your rig for what your passion is. Mine for sure is the "Great Outdoors"...love every minute of it.
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #79
Mymmars
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as far as gas cans, look up the current and cold war german millitary gas cans, they are built to last, have a great cap on em and are very handy, plus they fit in the normal places that a "jerry can" does. just my .02

Nightcrew member #095
Mymmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #80
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymmars View Post
as far as gas cans, look up the current and cold war german millitary gas cans, they are built to last, have a great cap on em and are very handy, plus they fit in the normal places that a "jerry can" does. just my .02
Great Info! Thanks!

I think I have done more research on gas cans then most of my other mods and etc.

There are so many Jerry cans out there to choose from. most are crap...but there are few that are worth their weight in gold!
Unread 12-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #81
Mymmars
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im also looking at taking a chevy truck rear and making a trailer out of it but keeping the functional gas tanks. each is 16 gal and it has 2, and older chevy is mechanical so all you have to do is setup a manual pump and thats an additional 32 gal plus the 15 in your tank and i have 3 hardpoints for cans so it takes me to 62 gallons with 13mpg with the completely stock 1978 chevy truck 350 manual and i can go roughly 800 miles between fills

Nightcrew member #095
Unread 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #82
Mymmars
1989 YJ Wrangler 

of course its 180 bucks per fill with premium but in a survivalist situation im gonna move, park and make due in my area, only move if needed.

and the winch plus d44's and 33 bfg 12.50 means i can definatly find a path to wherever im going.
plans include gps and a custom fold out tent using the jeeps back end. i got a friend with automotive interior experience that is like minded and wants to make tracks with his 79 ford half ton 4x4

Nightcrew member #095
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #83
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad this thread hasnt died. It is what our rigs are used for most and many dont realize it at all.
I dont know if sharing our favorite trail locations with the world is the best thing to do but thats the next step in this thread.
Does anyone have a coment on that?
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #84
Mymmars
1989 YJ Wrangler 

in the swan lake area of mt their are tons of just nice logging roads to turn right on till you hit a half tank or think your on the other side of the northwestern divide.

Nightcrew member #095
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #85
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
180 bucks per fill with premium
I don't mean to rain on your parade but;...
Most older Jeeps were made to work best with "regular" fuel. Putting premium in a Jeep with stock compression is a waste of money, IMO.
The higher octane of premium fuel only makes the fuel burn more slowly to inhibit detonation or "Ping" in a higher compression engine.

Interesting thread...
The longest that I have abandoned civilization is about a month.
everything used to fit in a CJ-5 so I'm pretty certain that it will fit in a CJ-7 (haven't done the extended camping thing for a couple of years), If it doesn't want to fit then you are trying to bring too much...

Food for a month,
12 x 12 alaknak tent (google cabalas); I use this bigger tent for extended camping, normally you find us in a 9x9 dome.
solar charger for the lights/radio,
a couple of cans of extra fuel,
cot, sleeping bag, chair and small duffel of cloths for both people
extensive first aid kit,
all the normal tools/parts supplies,
a roll up table
No need for GPS (we sometimes want to return to places that we only found because we were confused).
No need for 2 way radio, although if you have a second vehicle along its fun to use a CB to make wise comments...
No need for cell phones no need for most electronics, a digital camera is fine.
I do bring a filter (both particulate and carbon for potable water). If extended desert camping; a couple of 5 gallon cans of water per person won't probably be enough. (I don't really care for extended desert stays as you tend to turn the color of the desert after a week or two, water is for drinking).
I typically do not bring "survival gear" my camping gear is more than up to the task.
Snorkels are mostly a waste of time here in the States (got one left over from the CJ-5 in the garage); just an opinion.
...and I won't even comment on whoever put dual winches on that "expedition" vehicle.
Whenever possible bring a friend in another well prepped vehicle especially if intending to wheel. (you can carry some of the unnecessary stuff that they will bring in your jeep to help them out).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #86
Mymmars
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
I don't mean to rain on your parade but;...
Most older Jeeps were made to work best with "regular" fuel. Putting premium in a Jeep with stock compression is a waste of money, IMO.
The higher octane of premium fuel only makes the fuel burn more slowly to inhibit detonation or "Ping" in a higher compression engine.
chevy 350 and premium lasts longer, plus i run that in my chainsaws and everything else that isnt a daily driver, the extra 20 bucks i would spend on premuim keeps me and all my buddys from doing horrible things to our engines. and yesteryears engines and todays are designed for premium, we are all just cheap. they last longer and get better performance. you ever wonder what ethanol is doing to your baby? i dont.

Nightcrew member #095
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #87
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980 View Post
Does anyone know if the hubs can be replaced on the Harbor Freight trailers to accept a jeep bolt pattern?
I've got a little Harbor Freight trailer, and I've been doing a little measuring and planning and research. And to sort-of answer your question:

The factory axle is a four-on-four bolt pattern. The measurement from hubface-to-hubface is (approx) 47.5". The springcenter-to-springcenter is 38.5". With the factory tires and rims (4.8 x 12" [about 20" tall] on a 12x4" rim) you only have about ONE INCH of clearance between the tire and the trailer frame. So even if you could swap out hubs, you still will have clearance issues if you try and go much larger in tire/wheel size. With this set-up, you've also got about 9" of clearance under the axle (which is almost what a Dana 44 has with a 33" tire).

So what you need to do is upgrade the axle to a WIDER one with a 5 on 4.5" hub. This one
Trailer Parts Superstore - 1.5" Square (1800 lb.) LOADRITE Trailer Axle #6090.70
is set up for a 38.5" springcenter-to springcenter, 5 on 4.5" hubs, and is 51.25" hubface-to-hubface (~$145.00). This will easily allow you to run a 175/80/13" tire on a 4.5" wide rim (about 24" tall tire) - and maybe even a little larger tire. This will put you at 11" clearance under the trailer axle. This tire/wheel size is a common size, and can even be bought already mounted at Walmart. On-line they run about $55.00 for the tire & rim. You don't need to go huge in tire size with these trailers for them to work well and to have more clearance under your trailer axle than you have with your Jeep's axles.

A simple google search of trailer axles will net you all sorts of companies that sell axles for trailers. You just need to make sure if you go this route and have a set of tires/rims you want to use, that you measure from the back-side of the wheel where the lugnut holes are to the outer side edge of the tire, add at least an inch or two (x2 for each side), then add 40 inches (that's how wide the trailer frame is; at least on mine) and that will give you an idea of how wide your axle needs to be. Some trailer parts companies will order trailer axles for you if you have one in your town, and weld the spring perches on for you. Depending on the axle company they order from, they'll come in even or odd inch widths (i.e.: 57", 59", 61" wide, etc.).

These are nice little trailers and they pull easy. This is a picture of when a buddy and I went on a little Jeeping/camping trip after I came back from Iraq (sorry it's so big - if someone can shrink it that would be great). You'd be surprised how much you can put into one of these. I'm planning on doing the above Loadrite axle and 175/80/13" tire combo before my next trailer outing.

I hope this is helpful.

Edit 22 July 2011: I ended up putting the above Loadrite axle on my trailer, but put 205/75/15" tires on it. Here's a write-up on my trailer modifications, and the avatar picture to the left (and slightly larger below) shows what it looks like now:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
jeep-trailer1.jpg   trailer-done.jpg   alaska-jeep-trailer-picture.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #88
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm reviving an old thread because I think its an interseting topic and its really how I should be focusing on my Jeep build. My Jeep gets used mostly in town as a daily driver 99% of the time. I live where its very flat and there is really no 4 wheelin to be done. However, I have found that I absolutely love getting out to the mountains in Colorado and doing some wheeling out there. And when I am out there I want my jeep to be able to handle moderately difficult trails The problem is that Colorado is 1000 miles away. I don't tow my Jeep either. I drive it. Every mile. And I don't have a lot of extra room because the only time I get on these trips is once a year for my family vacation. So its me, my wife, our kids and all our gear packed in the LJ for a week of trail riding and sight seeing. So although my travels may not be expedition in the sense that I am driving in the wilderness for a week at a time, they are expeditions in that I am driving 1000 miles to get to the wilderness and then I'll be in and out of it all week long. Setting up camp at various places along the way. So my Jeep really needs to be built to handle all things an expedition vehicle will meet.

I need to have good highway and on-road manners to drive 1000 miles of interstate driving to reach my destination. Then I need it to be stable and compliant in offroad situations. Whether it is driving fast down a washboard road to get to a campground or slow going over a rock field on a trail, my Jeep needs to be able to do it all. Not only does it have to do it all, but it needs to be of top reliability when doing it. Because that same Jeep is my ride for the 1000 mile trip back home.

So far I only have one such trip under my belt. It was my family in our LJ and a friend and his family in their JK. But from that trip I have realized a lot about the compromises that one must make to achieve such a vehicle. In fact I am still struggling with how to setup my Jeep. Currently, I have a Rubicon LJ setup with stock 245/75 MTRs. I have BDS 2" springs and Rancho adjustable shocks. I found that this setup worked fantastic when I was loaded down with my family and all our gear out in the trails. There was one trail in particular that I was really impressed with my setup. (Italian Creek -easier low side) http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=117

It was a last minute decision to take the trail as we were moving our campsite from one side of the mountain range to the other. So we were fully loaded with all our food and lodging gear. Everything that we had carried for the trip was with us. Because I had a heavy load and the adjustable Ranchos I turned them up a little stiffer than usual. They worked fantastic with my BDS springs. I never felt my Jeep was unstable even fully loaded.

However, during other parts of the trip I found my setup to be much too harsh. For example driving down country roads with some bad washboard I could barley run 30mph without feeling like I was going to shake the Jeep apart. While my buddy in his stock 4dr JK Rubi could blast down the road at 50mph and not give it a second thought.

So what needs to be changed to improve my Jeep for higher speed washboards? Do I need softer load range C tires? A soft tire will absorb washboard better, but too soft of a tire and I risk blow outs in the rocks. Bigger tires? A bigger tire will roll over washboards easier and be better offroad. But too big and I will start to break things. Not to mention rubbing issues and increase in center of gravity that big tires bring. Softer shocks and springs? Softer shocks and springs would be nice on highways and byways, but too soft of a suspension and I will be flopping all over in the rocks. So which is it? How do I setup my Jeep to perform better in town and on washboard roads. And how will these changes affect my capability on the rocky trails? And most importantly how will the affect reliability? These are all the things we need to look at for an expedition vehicle.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #89
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

The best advice I can give regarding tires and washboard roads is to air down. I routinely run 20psi on forest roads and keep good speeds. If the roads are rough enough that you still have issues the only safe option is to slow down.

Always carry a good full size spare, and invest in one of those tire patch kits so you can fix a tire if you lose a second one.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #90
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
The best advice I can give regarding tires and washboard roads is to air down. I routinely run 20psi on forest roads and keep good speeds. If the roads are rough enough that you still have issues the only safe option is to slow down.

Always carry a good full size spare, and invest in one of those tire patch kits so you can fix a tire if you lose a second one.
Yep, I did air down and it helped tremendously. I don't remember what I aired down to though. But still, different tires will make a difference on different terrain. And those are the things we need to consider in building an expo vehicle.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.