Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #46
Douglas S.

^^ I'm planning to sell my Jeep next summer to pick up a JDM 80 Series Turbo Diesel.

I've fallen in love with those trucks.

Unread 09-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #47
LostJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ill be crawling this but since my new jeep will have to run atleast 35s since I'm in search and rescue I might be out on some of your guys ideas. I amlooking for a lj so I can run genrights 32 gallon fuel tank for longer treks with out fuel cans.
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #48
wrangler1988
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[/IMG]

what fender flares are those? nice!
wrangler1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #49
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJeeper View Post
Ill be crawling this but since my new jeep will have to run atleast 35s since I'm in search and rescue I might be out on some of your guys ideas. I amlooking for a lj so I can run genrights 32 gallon fuel tank for longer treks with out fuel cans.
Looking at that one myself. It'll come eventually but there's so much other stuff to do the jeep first.

OP: Great thread! Didn't know exactly what to expect when I first opened it up but it's a good read.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #50
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Those would be Warrior products fender flares
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #51
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=RaulLeoni;10102371]I have done many expeditions to different countries. Including a trip to Ushuaia in Argentina which is the southernest point in the world. Some have been expeditions that have taken over a month. Although, I have a TJ that is very capable I dont use it for this type of expeditions.

I have a 2005 80 Series Land Cruiser. (yes they still manufacture them in S.A.) There are some essential things that can be adapted to any vehicle to make for a fine expedition rig.

Here is my list of most important things.
-Double gas tank. Even though Jerry cans are great, and every vehicle should at least carry one, they are heavy and are usually mounted in high places (roof, tire carrier, etc..) and weight is the most important factor on expedition vehicles. You definetely need to keep a low center of gravity plus you can fill up the main time while rolling forcing less needs to stop. Time and schedule are usually tight on this type of trips.

-Double battery (preferably gel cycled) with a perco style switch and not an isolator. When isolators fail it usually takes a toll on the alternator.

-Power inverter of at least 1500 watts, paired with low amp draw bulbs to make camp light.

-Roof top tents are the way to keep you safe from wild life.

-The most important thing for me are full floating axles. These will keep you going if there is a failure on the axle.

-Tire size is key for long travel. On the 80 we travel with 285/70r16 (33x11) and its also recomended that is there is a convoy you all have the same tire brand and size. At one instance we had a truck flip over and destroyed 3 tires. If all of our spares werent the same we would have been stuck for a while. Not everywhere is tow truck friendly, most of the times you are on your own.

-I dont trust any winch that is not warn! PERIOD!!!

-Important spare parts: Driveshaft, axles, power steering hoses, alternator, radiator sealants, U JOINTS. fuses (yes really), air filters, and at least one oil filter and oil.

-Suspension, Used many of them nothing takes a beating like Old man emu. We had all kind of issues with suspension, just imagine busting a rear shock and then having to drive your truck with all that weight without damping....not cool or safe. Also, OME can be suited to fit the amount of weight expected on the vehicle, keeping the truck stable and not saggin.

-Emergency kit, pure oxigen tank and a person with a valid course in first aid (you get these at the red cross). Lots of canned food and drinking water.

-Good tool set, hilift jacks, chain saw and hatchet

These are basic things I have learned with experience, there is a lot more to an expedition vehicle.

Great Information! Thanks for sharing....
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #52
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

not sure the above did not show up as a quote...but regardless there is some great information in the above.
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #53
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJeeper View Post
I am in the same boat as you my friend. I also work Search and Rescue. I am running a 33in tire but moving to 35's soon.

A SEARCH AND RESCUE rig must be set up with the best of both worlds.

It's great seeing another SAR member here on the forum.

Are you a paid SAR team member?
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #54
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
Those would be Warrior products fender flares
I have heard some good things about these fenders....I have not seen them up close....but hear good things.
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #55
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes, they work great as a shelf while camping. But also works as a great step for when trying to tie things down on the rack. very sturdy!
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #56
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

battman, is that a Harbor Freight trailer? if so what one? I would love to get some more info on that setup.
jbg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #57
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980 View Post
battman, is that a Harbor Freight trailer? if so what one? I would love to get some more info on that setup.
No, I beleive that owner built it by hand. But I know many people that have started off with a Harbor Frieght trailer. Here is the exact one I am using to build mine...I will take pictures of my project soon and get them on here...been lazy.

Unread 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #58
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Battman. HF has one thats cheaper with a 300 higher working load. make your own bed.. its 40 in x 48 inches. i believe its 200 bucks
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #59
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
Battman. HF has one thats cheaper with a 300 higher working load. make your own bed.. its 40 in x 48 inches. i believe its 200 bucks
Thanks...way to kick me in the mister's! Hahaha I bought mine and then seen the exact one you are talking about...I have made due with this one.

Either way you can't go wrong with HF trailer, and for sure a good option for those of us that just use it for weekend camping, etc.

Thanks again for the input....
Unread 09-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #60
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ya, I was about to buy the one you are have. however I ran across the other. I will go with that and start building it. Either one is a good option for a weekend of camping/hunting/fishing. Do you have any pictures of the one you have right now? I am very interested in seeing it. How sturdy is the box?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.