Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #31
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

heres how I carry my extra 5 gallons without taking up space

modest-rig.jpg  
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #32
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great place....exactly how are you mounting it? Swingaway mount? Straps?

Also what cans are you using?
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #33
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

check it out:

using this mount plus buying the gerry can, just pick up (3) 2'' Ubolts to go around the rollbar, 6 nylock nuts, a little spray paint and presto...!
jerry-can-mount.jpg  
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #34
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great Idea....great Idea...Love it...quick fix!
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

easy as pie man, held up great in off camber situations, just remember after you tighten the bolts down, cut the excess bolt off so it doesnt puncture the tank (you'll see what I mean during the install)
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #36
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by battman View Post
All great things brother. You got yourself a rig that works for you and is set up for your type of travels.

The only thing about your rig I am not a fan of is the 2in body lift. I say 1.25 minumum (body lift added to help with tummy tuck). Again, this is just my thoughts...

Your HAM radio is a smart choice ....it could help you in a situation where your CB or cell phone is a no go.

The only thing I have not seen with your Jeep is GPS. Just something I noticed. Even a cheap TomTom or Garmin. I have a mounted GPS unit that also is battery charged for when you hike away from your rig. Anywhere I go (drving or hiking) I also take lamintated/waterproof maps...I try to plot points and such to keep myself on track.

Again...nice rig!
Thank you. I actually do have a garmin GPS. Its an older one, but I like it because it is portable also and I download whatever maps I want from topo. It also can take an external antenna which gives you sooo much more accuracy.

Being an Eagle Scout, I always stop by the ranger station and get the full size detailed forestry maps. They work great and if the gps dies, you can always navigate with a compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taormina92 View Post
Really like your rig, man. Glad you posted larger pics, I had seen it in your avatar and wanted to get a closer look. Great job!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
check it out:

using this mount plus buying the gerry can, just pick up (3) 2'' Ubolts to go around the rollbar, 6 nylock nuts, a little spray paint and presto...!
Where did you get that? looks like a good mount. I am currently starting a trailer build and these would work great!
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

here ya go guys!

Gerry Cans - Quadratec
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #38
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
here ya go guys!

Gerry Cans - Quadratec
You are the man CCGrunt! I am picking up two of these for my own trailer build. Way cheaper than most that are out there....
Unread 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #39
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

ya bro I saw em and thought, hmmm, betcha I could make that work.... glad it does, hope it works for you! (to lock, grab the longer loop locks
Unread 09-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #40
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ya bro I saw em and thought, hmmm, betcha I could make that work.... glad it does, hope it works for you! (to lock, grab the longer loop locks
Already made the purchase....they will work great on my trailer for short trips. Got some water cans that will work perfect for this application.

Unread 09-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #41
Heywoz

battman, thanks for starting this, learning lot's!

On those photo's at the beginning; who's jeep is in the 3rd photo, the one with the RTT? I really like their front bumper ("thats what she said") and would like to find out who's/what bumper that is.

-Thanks
Heywoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #42
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I rarely get a chance to visit this forum, but today I happened to be reading a few threads about expedition vehicles here and thought I would start a solid thread.

Much of what I have read here on JF about expedition vehicles has been really out in left field. Some people like to call their Jeeps “Expedition Vehicles” just because they have a GPS in them or because they have a safari rack. This as we know is not what it’s all about. I have also seen a lot of Jeeps labeled as expedition vehicles and they have 3-4in BL’s, 35’s or more with stock gears, towing a makeshift box, etc.

So, since there is not a bunch of accurate information, lets get some rolling for the readers and newbies who trust JF for some solid no flaming information.

Here is my 2 cents….

Knowledge from Expeditionportal.com and pirate4x4.com

Something you may want to consider here are highway manners and highway fuel efficiency. A lot of people on the internet seem to So you want to build a big fancy expedition rig, while the people I see “actually out in the real world exploring” are, more often than not, in pretty basic vehicles with minor optimizations for their style of travel.

While everyone's definition of expedition differs, our road systems (and what's legal to drive in the US) are fairly consistent. Skinny tires, 33-34" diameter and with a less aggressive tread pattern will typically get you farther, more safely, more comfortably, and on less fuel than a full blown competition rock crawling tire. Leave the TSL’s for hardcore mud or fancy mall crawler. Lighter weight axles will provide more comfort and longer fuel range - remember that expedition is not a speed sport or a show-off sport, you don't need 600 ft-lbs of torque or axles that will tolerate it, because under 99.9999% of conditions you're going to be trying to avoid wheelspin or heavy throttle in the first place.

I could go on but simply put, more real people in the real world have done more "expedition" in 2wd stock pickup trucks than all the web wheelers put together, so if you think you need a V8 and 1 tons and 37's to explore the countryside, you're doing it wrong & grampa with his pickup truck just clowned you.

This is only to illustrate how exploring and overland travel differ from other things people do with 4-wheel-drive vehicles like "muddin" and "rompin" and "rock crawlin" and such. It would be an act of nonsense to trailer an expedition rig, for example (which I have seen 17 rigs on this forum labeled as “expedition vehicles” and were pictured being towed to places such as UT, CA, NM, SD, etc )... Highway manners and general efficiency are more important than beefy axles, big mall crawler tires, V8 power, etc.

General Knowledge:

“Expedition Rigs” – Long trips (not just a quick camping trip. Rig will need to be able to stand up to many miles of travel, many terrains, and the possibility of being out of touch from civilization for many days…etc Expedition Rigs more often than not have 5 day supply of food, water, fuel, etc…also survival gear, camping gear, and all tools to make on the spot repairs.)

“I Look forward to reading other peoples input…hope this information guides those interested in the right direction (expeditionportal.com is a great source).

I while strongly disagree here. More thought should be put into tire selection. Unless you plan on being on pavement or dirt roads you need to re think this. Less aggressive tires may get you better mileage but they usually have thinner side walls, this makes them more vulnerable to abuse. You may encounter situations where you need extra traction. If the little bit of mileage loss will cause a problem carry extra gas or go on a shorter trip. There are many mud terrain or other off-road tires that perform very well on the road and will be of great benefit off road.
If you are going deep you need to understand map reading and how to use a compass. I would also recommend a GPS but make sure you can use a map and compass.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #43
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Being able to read a map and a compass should be number one for folks that leave the paved road exploring....

You are right about tires....but honestly the AT's out today are very well made and can handle a lot more than we all think. I myself run an MT....but in choosing the right MT for on road off road mix you must do some research. I would never run a TSL, Dunlop, Master Craft, Cooper or Pro Comp (experience with these, had them and hated them...worst tire in my opinion). My choice of on road/off road MT would be BFG km2, Kumho, Hankook.........those are three very good MT's. If you don't mind a little rougher ride I would spend a little extra and get a BFG crawler radial.
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #44
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Being able to read a map and a compass should be number one for folks that leave the paved road exploring....

You are right about tires....but honestly the AT's out today are very well made and can handle a lot more than we all think. I myself run an MT....but in choosing the right MT for on road off road mix you must do some research. I would never run a TSL, Dunlop, Master Craft, Cooper or Pro Comp (experience with these, had them and hated them...worst tire in my opinion). My choice of on road/off road MT would be BFG km2, Kumho, Hankook.........those are three very good MT's. If you don't mind a little rougher ride I would spend a little extra and get a BFG crawler radial.
I think the new MTR might be a good tire to consider too. I have TrXus MTs and they are a great tire but wear fast. I would still consider them again if they ever become available.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #45
RaulLeoni
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have done many expeditions to different countries. Including a trip to Ushuaia in Argentina which is the southernest point in the world. Some have been expeditions that have taken over a month. Although, I have a TJ that is very capable I dont use it for this type of expeditions.

I have a 2005 80 Series Land Cruiser. (yes they still manufacture them in S.A.) There are some essential things that can be adapted to any vehicle to make for a fine expedition rig.

Here is my list of most important things.
-Double gas tank. Even though Jerry cans are great, and every vehicle should at least carry one, they are heavy and are usually mounted in high places (roof, tire carrier, etc..) and weight is the most important factor on expedition vehicles. You definetely need to keep a low center of gravity plus you can fill up the main time while rolling forcing less needs to stop. Time and schedule are usually tight on this type of trips.

-Double battery (preferably gel cycled) with a perco style switch and not an isolator. When isolators fail it usually takes a toll on the alternator.

-Power inverter of at least 1500 watts, paired with low amp draw bulbs to make camp light.

-Roof top tents are the way to keep you safe from wild life.

-The most important thing for me are full floating axles. These will keep you going if there is a failure on the axle.

-Tire size is key for long travel. On the 80 we travel with 285/70r16 (33x11) and its also recomended that is there is a convoy you all have the same tire brand and size. At one instance we had a truck flip over and destroyed 3 tires. If all of our spares werent the same we would have been stuck for a while. Not everywhere is tow truck friendly, most of the times you are on your own.

-I dont trust any winch that is not warn! PERIOD!!!

-Important spare parts: Driveshaft, axles, power steering hoses, alternator, radiator sealants, U JOINTS. fuses (yes really), air filters, and at least one oil filter and oil.

-Suspension, Used many of them nothing takes a beating like Old man emu. We had all kind of issues with suspension, just imagine busting a rear shock and then having to drive your truck with all that weight without damping....not cool or safe. Also, OME can be suited to fit the amount of weight expected on the vehicle, keeping the truck stable and not saggin.

-Emergency kit, pure oxigen tank and a person with a valid course in first aid (you get these at the red cross). Lots of canned food and drinking water.

-Good tool set, hilift jacks, chain saw and hatchet

These are basic things I have learned with experience, there is a lot more to an expedition vehicle.

Here are a couple of pics of recent trips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.