Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Reply
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #331
rjbruzan
Moderator
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake in the Hills, illinois
Posts: 2,058
I also agree to adding an add a leaf for capacity but not for height. A junkyard leaf is possible but a spring shop can easily handle your needs the first time around. You will want an overload helper spring that comes into action as weight is added.

Ron

__________________
Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #332
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition
 
DunmerBoy's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,981
Oh okay sweet guys thanks! I'll have to do some research about shops in town or regionally. And oh I agree solid axel isn't a bad thing, and that dodge truck sounds pretty jeepy to me. Haha and yes, it's kind of a pointless argument ifs vs solid, especially in modern vehicles. I would go for a diesel unlimited in a heart beat. I wonder how a diesel 2014 GC would do. If you could manage the lift on your own and have the cash, that would probably be almost optimal. They're super comfortable, capable, and tough. But the older trucks have simplicity on their side. It's all a matter of know how.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
We are a group of individuals that worship a box shaped unibody that's been out of production for over 13 years. There's no shame to be had here. :D
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #333
theksmith
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,562
for anyone in AZ this weekend that's wanting to get more into the expedition thing (cross posted from Offroad Passport here...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroad Passport View Post


What do you need to do one of our overnight runs? How do you pack for a week long expedition? What's for dinner?

These sort of questions have come up several times recently on the Offroad Passport forum as more folks consider joining us on our expedition style trips. Come out and get the answers! We'll be presenting some tips & tricks and be open to general questions on these topics at our Meet, Eat & Greet event this Saturday (2/1/2014) near Cave Creek, AZ. Our sister club, 4x4 Ham, will be there discussing trail communications (HAM rigs, CB's, antenna basics, etc.)

This is a free event, open to anyone, and the trail is doable in nearly any stock 4x4. We hope to see a lot of new faces there ready to ask questions!

Event sign-up and information thread on Offroad Passport:
http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3325

Sign-up for 4x4 Ham members:
http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php...th-a-Trail-Run
both Offroad Passport and 4x4 Ham are free forums, please register at either site and reply to one of the sign-up threads if you're coming - we just need a head count since we're furnishing food and drinks for everyone. Thanks!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #334
longtro
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Vancouver, Bc
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
both Offroad Passport and 4x4 Ham are free forums, please register at either site and reply to one of the sign-up threads if you're coming - we just need a head count since we're furnishing food and drinks for everyone. Thanks!
Thanks for the post. Very interesting.
longtro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #335
xjman88
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vassalboro
Posts: 42
Man its been a while since ive been on this thread. I have a 96 zj thats my current Expo rig. Ive put alot of time and ideas into it the last 2 years. And Ive been out in the backcountry of Maine alot. Still some mods to do but shes expo ready. I have a decent build page on the Expedition Portal. Ill try to do upload some pics on here.
xjman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #336
Sparrows
It's coming...
 
Sparrows's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman88 View Post
Man its been a while since ive been on this thread. I have a 96 zj thats my current Expo rig. Ive put alot of time and ideas into it the last 2 years. And Ive been out in the backcountry of Maine alot. Still some mods to do but shes expo ready. I have a decent build page on the Expedition Portal. Ill try to do upload some pics on here.
Link to the build thread?

Cheers
__________________
WARBIRD 2
EXILED OFFROAD
June '13 YJOTM
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #337
xjman88
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vassalboro
Posts: 42
Im gonna try to put a link. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Expedition-Rig
xjman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #338
xjman88
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vassalboro
Posts: 42
0k the link is up and working. Feel free to give some feedback.
xjman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #339
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition
 
DunmerBoy's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,981
any updates with yall?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
We are a group of individuals that worship a box shaped unibody that's been out of production for over 13 years. There's no shame to be had here. :D
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #340
xjman88
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vassalboro
Posts: 42
I do over on the expo portal. Click on the link.
xjman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #341
4x4mickey
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: stillwater, ok
Posts: 6
ok im on page 6 of this thread and haven't been on this fourm to often but happy to see something closer to what and where I would like to take my jeep.
I have a 97 TJ. and it has a 2" bb on it right now and plans are to keep it low. but this allowed me the clearance for what I wanted for the tires I will eventually have on it. but so far reading this it is packed with TONS!! of great info. how ever the one thing I have notice that seems to be neglected is with all of the electronics you are adding have any of you had issues with the Alt. failing from stress of the extras? also running a 2 bat. set up is great but is the a how to on how to set this up so it is not just for show? plans are to do a winch but bumpers might be a issue I like the warn bumpers but have heard they are not as strong as they look. so until I see one up close I will still look at others. the on board air with a Co2 set up seem the easiest however its something you need to pack but dose allow air tools if needed. I am changing all but the head lights to L.E.D. for the system strain and also because I just hate incandescent bulbs. how ever the one thought I have is in water crossing how much water do you worry about getting in to your jeep ? sounds crazy but those wires and inverters etc... all can get wet and shut you down in the river or lake or puddle your in. this would not be good. might be more info as I read and I am enjoying the read of a thread that seems to be more "real" then king of hammers builds I see in the mall. so please forgive the noob attitude but I have done rocks before while fun just not what im looking to make this one for. I am a photographer and want to get out where I can see things not every one has seen daily. so longer off road adventure's are near. I was a Eagle scout and know how to do the whole "be prepared" thing but also know how to be over prepared also. so what are the absolute ever one should never leave home with out. for camping over and above the ax and shovel and u joints. think most will chose to not go this route because it is work to get out like this and not just drive threw a open field 3miles off the hard ball roads.
thank you for all the info!! and im not trying to offend anyone but the lifted mall crawlers look great just not what im looking for in a daily driver and expo type build I want to drive 600miles to get to where I plan to go out in to the back woods and be lost for a while. and survive with the jeep. I can do the mechanic stuff I grew up doing that. but also want to do the camping stuff and not feel like I have to pack a Hilton in the truck also.
4x4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #342
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4mickey View Post
ok im on page 6 of this thread and haven't been on this fourm to often but happy to see something closer to what and where I would like to take my jeep.
I have a 97 TJ. and it has a 2" bb on it right now and plans are to keep it low. but this allowed me the clearance for what I wanted for the tires I will eventually have on it. but so far reading this it is packed with TONS!! of great info. how ever the one thing I have notice that seems to be neglected is with all of the electronics you are adding have any of you had issues with the Alt. failing from stress of the extras? also running a 2 bat. set up is great but is the a how to on how to set this up so it is not just for show? plans are to do a winch but bumpers might be a issue I like the warn bumpers but have heard they are not as strong as they look. so until I see one up close I will still look at others. the on board air with a Co2 set up seem the easiest however its something you need to pack but dose allow air tools if needed. I am changing all but the head lights to L.E.D. for the system strain and also because I just hate incandescent bulbs. how ever the one thought I have is in water crossing how much water do you worry about getting in to your jeep ? sounds crazy but those wires and inverters etc... all can get wet and shut you down in the river or lake or puddle your in. this would not be good. might be more info as I read and I am enjoying the read of a thread that seems to be more "real" then king of hammers builds I see in the mall. so please forgive the noob attitude but I have done rocks before while fun just not what im looking to make this one for. I am a photographer and want to get out where I can see things not every one has seen daily. so longer off road adventure's are near. I was a Eagle scout and know how to do the whole "be prepared" thing but also know how to be over prepared also. so what are the absolute ever one should never leave home with out. for camping over and above the ax and shovel and u joints. think most will chose to not go this route because it is work to get out like this and not just drive threw a open field 3miles off the hard ball roads.
thank you for all the info!! and im not trying to offend anyone but the lifted mall crawlers look great just not what im looking for in a daily driver and expo type build I want to drive 600miles to get to where I plan to go out in to the back woods and be lost for a while. and survive with the jeep. I can do the mechanic stuff I grew up doing that. but also want to do the camping stuff and not feel like I have to pack a Hilton in the truck also.
If I had a 97 TJ I wanted to use for getting off the road to take pictures, yet keep it as capable and as reliable as possible here is what I would do.

1) Despite what many here will tell you, the closer to stock you are the more reliable you are.

2) Lift - I would stick with 2" lift or less. Probably OME med springs with Bilstien 5100 or 5160 shocks. Id also use the OME rear track bar relocator bracket to center the rear axle, I would keep the stock front track bar as its the best you will get for a 2" lift.

3) For tires I would find some JK Rubi takeoffs. Those 255/75R17 tires will nicely tuck under a TJ with a 2" lift. They are a fantastic tire in many conditions and they give you a solid 32" load range C tire. Remember that this tire is only 1/2" shorter than those big fat 33x12.5R15 tires that a lot of guys run. So you only give up 1/4" of clearance under the diffs but the tire should be lighter and can be run with less lift. Its a win win. You will need some adaptors to run the JK wheels. However, I tend to prefer using adaptors that maintain a hub centric wheel over buying aftermarket wheels that are not hub centric.

4) Get a winch if you will be out all by yourself. Self recovery could become very important

5) Skid plates - Don't forget to cover the oil pan and transmission. You don't want to loose them on the trail.

6) Snorkel - If you are doing a lot of water crossing consider a snorkel. However, I think if you are crossing water that deep you would be better off to find another route around it. Crossing deep water is looking for trouble, especially if you are alone.

7) CHeck out expeditionportal.com. There are a lot of like minded people over there who want a very capable vehicle and are not concerned about having the proper 'look'.
__________________
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #343
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Two years ago my buddy and I took a three week trip up to Alaska and Canada with my Jeep and trailer. We had a blast, and with the Jeep's rear seat out and the trailer we were able to take with us everything we wanted. The trailer carried an additional seven gallons of fuel. If you're thinking of doing any kind of over-landing with a Wrangler type Jeep you really need some sort of trailer - it really make the trip enjoyable having the "extra" stuff to keep us comfortable (and well fed). The bottom picture is the Jeep and trailer combo at the beginning of our trip; my avatar picture to the left is near the end of our trip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f312/...nture-1371427/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

We're planning on going again in May/June (2014), but this time we're taking my truck. It's a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2/auto. It's got a mild 2" suspension lift, 4.10 gears, 285/75/16" tires (33" x 11.5"), and Detroit True Tracs in both the front and rear axles. We drove a lot of miles up there on our last trip with the Jeep and trailer, and I think the truck will be a bit more comfortable compared to the Jeep (and that's important when you're spending a lot of time in your vehicle). I also think our gear will be more accessible using the truck, and we can actually lock it up this time. Gas mileage won't be as good as the Jeep, but we'll be able to carry more fuel between the truck's gas tank and the additional fuel cans so that should be a wash.

I think a crew cab SWB 4x4 Dodge (instead of a single cab like mine) would be ideal for over-landing, but I've gotta run with what I've got. But this truck of mine isn't that much bigger than a new 4-door Jeep Wrangler or similar type vehicle and it's pretty maneuverable. It's got plenty of power (V8), solid axles, and rides nice.

The bed mounted toolbox has been modified to hold five Klopin fuel cans (10 gallons total) and still have plenty of room for tools and spare parts. I still need to put a roof rack on the topper (just in case we find something we want to strap down and haul home), and replace the front axle vacuum system with a posi-lock set-up (waiting to be installed once it gets warmer outside). We'll also be bringing a Harbor Freight folding tow bar and brackets (and battery powered drills and such) in case we find something we want to tow home (like another flat fender Jeep). A dual battery set-up is also in the works; we pulled a factory second battery tray from a gen-2 Dodge diesel truck's engine bay at the local junkyard.

When we head out I'll start a new thread (like I did for our last adventure) and will post a link to it on this thread. We'll let you know how the truck concept performs.
I guess a follow-up is in order to the above ( http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/e...l#post19568457 ).

On the truck we got the roof-rack installed, Posi-lok (perma-lok) installed, vacuum switch replaced with an electric switch (for 4WD dash light), CO2 tank carrier mounted, etc. All set to go.

So we were planning on taking the truck to Alaska/Canada this summer and finalizing plans for August/September, but instead this summer the Army's got me PCS'ing from Ft Campbell KY to Ft Hood TX. So it's a no-go this year; hopefully next year.

So as a consolation prize (but I was wanting to go anyways) we're taking the TJ and redone trailer to the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler, PA in June.

The trailer is a modified 4' Harbor Freight type trailer that's had the tongue extended and a diamond plate tub (with hinged lid) installed on the frame with a wider axle and larger (205/75/15") tires. It's my little expedition trailer, and weighing in at 560 lbs dry it's perfect for pulling behind a four-cylinder Jeep TJ (hint-hint Mr. 4x4mickey). If you're planning on any kind of extended trip with a TJ you really need to get some sort of trailer.

Here's the build thread for the trailer (with lots of other folks' trailer builds and ideas):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/ (long thread, but lots of good info for building a little harbor freight type 4' trailer)
trailer-essentially-done-027.jpg   jeep-trailer-front-house.jpg  
bantam-logo_png_pagespeed_ic_nhhv1pfiax.png

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #344
armyRN
Web Wheeler
 
armyRN's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 2,224
This is how the trailer looked when we took it to Alaska/Canada for a couple weeks:
alaska-anchorage-005.jpg   alaska-20remainder-20of-20trip-20012.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #345
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition
 
DunmerBoy's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo
If I had a 97 TJ I wanted to use for getting off the road to take pictures, yet keep it as capable and as reliable as possible here is what I would do. 1) Despite what many here will tell you, the closer to stock you are the more reliable you are. 2) Lift - I would stick with 2" lift or less. Probably OME med springs with Bilstien 5100 or 5160 shocks. Id also use the OME rear track bar relocator bracket to center the rear axle, I would keep the stock front track bar as its the best you will get for a 2" lift. 3) For tires I would find some JK Rubi takeoffs. Those 255/75R17 tires will nicely tuck under a TJ with a 2" lift. They are a fantastic tire in many conditions and they give you a solid 32" load range C tire. Remember that this tire is only 1/2" shorter than those big fat 33x12.5R15 tires that a lot of guys run. So you only give up 1/4" of clearance under the diffs but the tire should be lighter and can be run with less lift. Its a win win. You will need some adaptors to run the JK wheels. However, I tend to prefer using adaptors that maintain a hub centric wheel over buying aftermarket wheels that are not hub centric. 4) Get a winch if you will be out all by yourself. Self recovery could become very important 5) Skid plates - Don't forget to cover the oil pan and transmission. You don't want to loose them on the trail. 6) Snorkel - If you are doing a lot of water crossing consider a snorkel. However, I think if you are crossing water that deep you would be better off to find another route around it. Crossing deep water is looking for trouble, especially if you are alone. 7) CHeck out expeditionportal.com. There are a lot of like minded people over there who want a very capable vehicle and are not concerned about having the proper 'look'.
One other thing to add is "smart" weight use. Like skids are important weight to add but using alloy or aluminum wheels is a good call. Also a hitch mount winch so you can use it front or back as well as reducing drag from it all the time
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
We are a group of individuals that worship a box shaped unibody that's been out of production for over 13 years. There's no shame to be had here. :D
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.