Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #286
milresq
2002 WJ 

Mind Blowing

Where to being.
Battman Thank You Thank You Thank You. BZ on a Excellent Thread!!! By the way LOVE the trailer.

I've been on the site for sometime looking around for inspiration for my built. I bought a 02 WJ Overland OH 2 years ago with the intent of exploring with it. {Still a work in progress} I never did a search for a thread like this, just happened to stumble across it. After a lot of wasted time on other threads. A lot of what was said here is what I've been thinking since before I got my jeep and some other thing although I disagree with gave me food for thought.

A few things no one mentioned and I would like to add. Head lamp for working at night. Spark plugs and coil packs. An First Aid Kits although mentioned, some people have no idea how to really use it. How about a course in basic first aid and CPR. Or even better Wilderness first aid. The Red Cross or REI can help you there.

Life Proof, Thank you for your 10 Commandments. Hope you do not mind, I took it and changed it a little. All the info is there just organized it and shortened it. One page 8x10
ArmyRN read your thread on the AK trip Great Read.

I know the thread is about the jeep Build/Journey so before getting back to the topic so to speak. Someone misspelled Marine, you would think being a marine you could spell it. FATFINGERS

I noticed a trend.
I would like to Thank You All, for YOUR BLANK CHECK.
GOD BLESS YOU BROTHERS.
Hope to see you on the trails.

Battman
Life Proof
MrB
Big Jon
Viet Vet67
ArmyRN
CCGRUNT0331
Sorry if I missed anyone.
Fireman
Policeman
EMT
And to those who Served but could not come Home. GOD BLESS YOU

Funny, common sense is not all that common & You can't fix stupid!!!

2002 WJOE Stocker
milresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #287
milresq
2002 WJ 

Figures I would not load

TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SURVIVAL
1. STAY CALM - STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

If you are driving a vehicle, remain with it. Relocate only to reach safety and / or water.
2. HOLD ON TO A SURVIVAL ATTITUDE and AVOID INJURY.
Discipline is essential to survival. Your most valuable asset in any life threatening situation is a positive mental attitude. If you aren’t certain you can live, you will die.
3. THINK LIKE A RESCUER.
If you must leave your last know position, do things that will make it easier for your rescuers to find you:
a. Have a CLEAR goal in mind – go in one direction with care.
b. Leave a CLEAR trail with notes and directional signs.
c. On the notes, give you name, date, time, direction and reason you are going.
Water
4. USE YOUR HEAD, NOT YOUR SWEAT. DRINK THE WATER YOU HAVE AS YOU NEED IT.
Never ration water!!! Drink what you have as you need it.
5. CONSERVE YOUR SWEAT, NOT WATER.
Rest by day, work on shelter and signals during morning/evening. Rub your body with urine and other liquids to keep cool.
6. DON’T EAT ANYTHING!!!
a. All food is water demanding. Water is drawn out of your system to process/ digest what you eat.
b. No salt or salt tabs – they will dehydrate you.
7. KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED.
Breathe through your nose to minimize water vapor loss.
NOTE {Yelling at a helicopter is something that could kill you, if you are malnourished and/or dehydrated. If you have ever flown in a helicopter, you know you can barely hear the guy right next to you yelling in your ear. Pilots and any passenger onboard will not hear you from the ground.
GET TO OPEN GROUND!!! Wave/ use signals but don’t exhaust yourself by yelling.}
8. MOVE ONLY WHEN ABSOULUTELY NESESSARY AND ONLY AT NIGHT.
If your position is unendurable, change location during the cooler night hours. Move only when you know you can get there safely by doing the following.
a. Have a CLEAR goal in mind – go in one direction with care.
b. Leave a CLEAR trail with notes and directional signs.
On the notes, give you name, date, time, direction and reason you are going.
c. Change your line of movement only after you have left a sign or marker.
Go slowly and carefully – Do not overexertion your self.
9. PROTECT YOUR BODY.
When in the sun and heat remember to,
a. Keep your clothes on. Loosen but do not remove them.
b. Keep your boots/shoes and head gear on.
c. Relax in the deep shade and keep your eyes protected from glare.
d. If in the open with no shade near by, use anything available to make shade.
10. MAKE A FUSS WHEN YOU HEAR OR SEE OTHERS NEARBY.
a. Signal by any means at hand. Use a shaving mirror to reflect the sun. Wave a Brightly colored item.
b. Make marks in the sand or lay out rocks large enough to be seen from the air. SOS or HELP.
c. Start a fire – smoke by day, flame by night.

Get INVOLVED it’s YOUR RESCUE!!!

But conserve your body water.

It's the same but different. Oh first beer is on me!
2002 WJOE Stocker
milresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #288
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate your kind words to myself and all other service members. I have never lost a brother by my side but I've met some that aren't here today to drink anymore. So ive had mine for them and wish everyone else a safe and memorable holiday.

As far as redoing the commandments, I'm glad you made it your own. That's what I wanted people to do, adapt and overcome to fit the needs of the user.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #289
longtro
1994 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the thread! I want my jeep capable for the long haul.
AND Good on Gas!
Tim
longtro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #290
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

One thing I rarely see on the expedition type boards is this:
Take a spare battery for your vehicle!!

A failed alternator can shut you down in a place you don't want to stay, fuel injected vehicles will drain a battery relatively quickly, having a fully charged spare battery can be the difference between driving out and walking out. A solar charger can also put some juice into the dead battery, giving you more range. And make sure the batteries are securely anchored, a roll over can turn a battery into a bludgeon, and under the hood it can do a lot of damage. It's generally possible to restart a rolled vehicle with minor work, impossible if the battery is empty because a hole got punched through it.
I usually carry at least a powerful jump box whenever I go anywhere. But if I was planning on being out for a few days you can bet there is a spare battery stashed somewhere.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #291
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
One thing I rarely see on the expedition type boards is this:
Take a spare battery for your vehicle!!

A failed alternator can shut you down in a place you don't want to stay, fuel injected vehicles will drain a battery relatively quickly, having a fully charged spare battery can be the difference between driving out and walking out. A solar charger can also put some juice into the dead battery, giving you more range. And make sure the batteries are securely anchored, a roll over can turn a battery into a bludgeon, and under the hood it can do a lot of damage. It's generally possible to restart a rolled vehicle with minor work, impossible if the battery is empty because a hole got punched through it.
I usually carry at least a powerful jump box whenever I go anywhere. But if I was planning on being out for a few days you can bet there is a spare battery stashed somewhere.
Sounds like a spare alternator would be better to carry than a spare battery. If your out that far and need that much power, the spare battery will drain just as quickly as the first one did. Although, I do like the idea of the solar charger.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #292
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post

Sounds like a spare alternator would be better to carry than a spare battery. If your out that far and need that much power, the spare battery will drain just as quickly as the first one did. Although, I do like the idea of the solar charger.
If you're going to carry a spare alternator, keep it under the hood ...mounted, and hooked up as a weldernator. You'd be able to stick weld parts if needed, and if you use an old Ford large case, all you'd need to hook it back up as a normal alternator is to run a line to the battery and plug in a voltage regulator (which you could already have mounted and ready to go in the engine compartment).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #293
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Spare alternator does you no good if the battery can't turn the motor over, you could run long enough on a spare battery to get you to a safe area.
I guess you could carry both..... You'll notice I didn't mention a spare belt, probably a good idea, but, if you check your belts properly during routine maintenance, and replace as needed, you shouldn't break one. The idea is to just get you moving again, a good powerfull battery(I installed a battery spec'd for a crown vic, 800 CCA's and 150 minutes of reserve time-enough to get me out or safe) But I had to modify the battery tray to carry itTodays serpentine belts are tough, but at least the older V-belts could be cobbed together, over the years I've used rope, wire and even pantyhose to get me home, can't do that with a serp belt. I guess it's a case of suspenders, belt, or both.....
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #294
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
Spare alternator does you no good if the battery can't turn the motor over, you could run long enough on a spare battery to get you to a safe area.
I guess you could carry both..... You'll notice I didn't mention a spare belt, probably a good idea, but, if you check your belts properly during routine maintenance, and replace as needed, you shouldn't break one. The idea is to just get you moving again, a good powerfull battery(I installed a battery spec'd for a crown vic, 800 CCA's and 150 minutes of reserve time-enough to get me out or safe) But I had to modify the battery tray to carry itTodays serpentine belts are tough, but at least the older V-belts could be cobbed together, over the years I've used rope, wire and even pantyhose to get me home, can't do that with a serp belt. I guess it's a case of suspenders, belt, or both.....
If you have a standard transmission, you can always roll/push start it (doesn't take much juice for the ignition to work). I agree with the idea of a big battery (I run a 1000/850 in my Jeep), but for an expedition vehicle, what good is making it another few miles? About a month ago, the alternator in my Charger R/T failed while my wife was driving it. It only went about six miles before she shut it off, but it wasn't able to restart itself after. Granted, that car is very electronics heavy, but even if you got two or three times as far, what possible good does that do? If you're that close to help, you could save yourself the weight and space and just walk it. If you're going to be far enough out for it to matter, you need to plan on solving the problem instead of planning on treating the symptoms.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #295
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo

I had an alternator go bad 2 hours away from home in my sedan and i had AAA coverage so i called them out to see what went wrong. They said it was the alternator and told me to buy a new battery, drive home, and return it, which discount auto parts actually did. AAA mechanic told me that a brand new battery, never used before, can last up to a few days of driving without any alternator. Ofcourse there are many variables to this though.

And those solar chargers work pretty good, i have used a $15 one thats about 12"x4" to start a cabin cruiser sea ray with a 350 v8 in it many times. After a few hours in the sun it charged from a completely dead state up to starting the motor.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #296
Grecy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Guys,

My name is Dan Grec, I drove from Alaska to Argentina in my stock 2000 TJ Wrangler from 2009 - 2011.

I blogged the entire way at http://theroadchoseme.com where you can read about all my stories and see all my photos. You can see I didn't take much stuff, and had an amazing adventure.

I love helping other people get out there on the road, especially jeepers, so please feel free to fire any and all questions you have my way

With that in mind, I created WikiOverland, the Encyclopedia of Overland Travel to answer all the logistical questions you'll have - entering each country, paperwork, camping, bribery, maps, etc. etc. - it's all there, and it's being constantly updated by people on the road right now.

I'm very happy to answer specific questions, or to help anyone out in any way I can.

-Dan
Grecy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #297
jpdude999
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's really Sundowner's fault...

I started thinking about this while reading Sundowner's build thread, so it really is his fault. At least that's what the wife will get told when I start spending money. On my Jeep. I'm currently spending all my money on my house, but the light at the end of that particular tunnel is getting fairly bright. I really like the idea of something like his hard deck (what a difference a vowel makes!!) but with an LJ, making the long reach in would be a bit of a bear. That got me thinking about using either a drawer setup or a sliding platform so that access to gear would be easier on the back. My back, that is. My over 50 back.

Fast forward a bit, and I was cruising the interwebs checking out all of the options for offroad, expedition, Jeep trailers, or whatever moniker you feel like giving them. Some of the nicer, more expensive trailers had some cool slide outs containing things like sinks and stoves, as well as extra storage and counter space. I do like the idea of the trailer, but also like the idea of not having to rely on one and still be somewhat self sufficient. Now I'm wondering if it would be feasible to incorporate the slide out system into the back of the LJ. Utilizing the entire back sans seat, I would have around 4 feet to work with (rough guestimate, the Jeep is at home, haven't measured it yet). This would let me have either 2 4' x 18" sliding cabinets, or 1 4' x 24" cabinet with room left over for some storage.

There are obviously lots to be considered, careful plans to be drawn up and promptly dismissed, pre-killed monkeys to be reanimated and killed again, but this just came to me during the night. I searched and found this thread, but didn't see this idea addressed, so I though I'd bounce the idea off'n y'all. I made a few quick, crude drarings to illustrate the variables. The 2 counter system could be hinged and either end, depending on how complicated and/or open you wanted your kitchen. The single slider would be much easier, and more basic.

Thoughts?
jeep-kitchen-closed.jpg   jeep-kitchen-open-ver-1.jpg   jeep-kitchen-open-ver-2.jpg   jeep-kitchen-open-ver-3.jpg  
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #298
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdude999 View Post
I started thinking about this while reading Sundowner's build thread, so it really is his fault. At least that's what the wife will get told when I start spending money. On my Jeep. I'm currently spending all my money on my house, but the light at the end of that particular tunnel is getting fairly bright. I really like the idea of something like his hard deck (what a difference a vowel makes!!) but with an LJ, making the long reach in would be a bit of a bear. That got me thinking about using either a drawer setup or a sliding platform so that access to gear would be easier on the back. My back, that is. My over 50 back.

Fast forward a bit, and I was cruising the interwebs checking out all of the options for offroad, expedition, Jeep trailers, or whatever moniker you feel like giving them. Some of the nicer, more expensive trailers had some cool slide outs containing things like sinks and stoves, as well as extra storage and counter space. I do like the idea of the trailer, but also like the idea of not having to rely on one and still be somewhat self sufficient. Now I'm wondering if it would be feasible to incorporate the slide out system into the back of the LJ. Utilizing the entire back sans seat, I would have around 4 feet to work with (rough guestimate, the Jeep is at home, haven't measured it yet). This would let me have either 2 4' x 18" sliding cabinets, or 1 4' x 24" cabinet with room left over for some storage.

There are obviously lots to be considered, careful plans to be drawn up and promptly dismissed, pre-killed monkeys to be reanimated and killed again, but this just came to me during the night. I searched and found this thread, but didn't see this idea addressed, so I though I'd bounce the idea off'n y'all. I made a few quick, crude drarings to illustrate the variables. The 2 counter system could be hinged and either end, depending on how complicated and/or open you wanted your kitchen. The single slider would be much easier, and more basic.

Thoughts?
if you hadn't seen this thread already, it may give you some more things to think about: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...storage-system

i recommend quality lock-in/lock-out slides be used, something like this: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,43614,43620
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #299
jpdude999
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
if you hadn't seen this thread already, it may give you some more things to think about: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...storage-system
104 pages, I've got some reading to do, looks good at a quick glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i recommend quality lock-in/lock-out slides be used, something like this: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...=3,43614,43620
I can't believe I hadn't thought of Lee Valley. I have one of their catalogs under my coffee table. 190 bucks for the 4' slides, I guess I had better get a spreadsheet going along with my plans...

Thanks for the links! If I ever get this thing built, I'll trundle over to the land of "it's a dry heat" and show it off to you. Or better yet, you can come out to Sandy Eggo and Ill buy you a Ballast Point ale.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #300
DunmerBoy
TJ <3's Reddit

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone here have a good suggestion for extra Gas storage on a closed jeep ie Cherokee, GC? I've seen the roof rack but it sticking up like that seems like it would cause a pretty good amount of drag and i wouldnt trust it not to fall over on some less than level terrain.
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.