Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #16
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by battman View Post
Dual Warn winches... when one just isn't enough.
So much for unimpeded airflow to the radiator.
And a healthy solar panel on the hood - pretty unique.

chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #17
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Dual Warn winches... when one just isn't enough.
So much for unimpeded airflow to the radiator.
And a healthy solar panel on the hood - pretty unique.
This is one of those rigs where you just sit back and wonder..."How much is really invested?" But, regardless its a tough expo rig!
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

All great things brother. You got yourself a rig that works for you and is set up for your type of travels.

The only thing about your rig I am not a fan of is the 2in body lift. I say 1.25 minumum (body lift added to help with tummy tuck). Again, this is just my thoughts...

Your HAM radio is a smart choice ....it could help you in a situation where your CB or cell phone is a no go.

The only thing I have not seen with your Jeep is GPS. Just something I noticed. Even a cheap TomTom or Garmin. I have a mounted GPS unit that also is battery charged for when you hike away from your rig. Anywhere I go (drving or hiking) I also take lamintated/waterproof maps...I try to plot points and such to keep myself on track.

Again...nice rig!
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #19
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Earlier on in this thread we touched on carrying extra fuel. On long hauls in the back country this is important. Here is a little information to help get the wheels spinning.

I am a big fan of the Scepter 5.3G/20L Military style Fuel Cans. My local NAPA sells Scepter 5.3G/20L Military style fuel cans. They are currently on sale for $14.99 (40% off) and they have stock (okay less stock since I left than before).

If your local NAPA does not have them…a little research online will go a long way.

Note: These are not the TRUE Scepter military fuel cans. They are the commercial Scepter products loosely based on the old IS GI military fuel cans made out of steel.

When choosing a fuel can one thing comes to mind, “durability”. You don’t want to pick up some cheap fuel cans and have them leaking all over the place. Some well made fuel cans also come “childproof”.

Furthermore, when choosing a fuel can think about the conditions that you will put them under. To make the point a little clearer, here are some quick notes reference brands of fuel cans from some research I have done.

Scepter plastic cans - I like the long clear nozzle, and overall these cans work really good. What I have found is sometimes the gasket on the cap will separate and make them a little leaky (not pouring out leaky…just sometimes damp around the spout. In extreme heat they also swell up, and sometimes leading you to use an oil filter wrench to get the cap off. But overall, a great can for the price and the quirks are hit or miss with each can purchased. Lots of folks use these ($34.00).

Wedco traditional spout cans - I like the metal construction, stays true to it's shape better in heat. love the cap mechanism, never fails, can always be opened with a rock or whatever is around if you can't do it with your hands. Spout is ok, no real issues, but could use a little added length. (price for these cans is not going to break the bank $43 bucks.)

New CARB Wedco cans - thanks uncle-sam for ruining our lives. Spout is a PITA but can be rigged. cap does not hold as well as scepter or original Wedco (might often find that they pop a thread loose after sitting in sun on roof rack a few days, then leak).

Blitz metal "jerry cans" – Straight cursing comes with these cans…if you like to curse, like to drop f-bombs buy these….straight PITA

Regular hardware store plastic cans – I would only but water in these …wouldn’t mount one to a Jeep if you paid me.

So there you go…just a little info on Gas cans. Hope it helps!

Note/Tip/Admin Note/whatever you want to call this – Waters cans and gas cans look the same. Most of the time one says WATER and the other FUEL or GAS. Some people use gas cans for water…its not uncommon…I have seen it. The key here is not to fill gas in a can that is designed for water even though it looks the same as the gas can. Sure, the look and feel are the same, but they are truly different. For instance Wedco water cans have a food safe liner. From what I understand they are also not as thick as the gas can. I also recommend from experience that using plastic cans for water is better than using metal cans. Rust is not something you want mixed in with your evening meal (may sound stupid…but it’s a little common sense that will go a long way).
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've been building up my rig for long distance on and off pavement travel, so I guess that counts as an "Expedition Jeep". My philosophy when building the Jeep has been to protect the people first (first aid kit, fire extinguisher, training, CB, cage in the not too distant future, GPS etc) protect the investment second (armor and recovery) and then enhance the performance (lift, tires, axle upgrades etc). There's a lot that can be done in a stock Jeep.

I decided to go the trailer route instead of using a roof rack and I've been very happy I did. I can put myself and up to three other people in the TJ and all the equipment and supplies go into the trailer. The trailer has a steel lid that can be locked against both two and four legged predators. I can drop it in camp for a day of wheeling if I like, and it doesn't raise the center of gravity, eat up mileage or make noise on my daily commute. It also cost roughly the same as a quality rack. In the long run, I'd like to outfit it with a roof top tent as well as a small auxiliary electrical system for lighting, a fridge etc. The only time I've had a problem with it is on two occasions I had to make what would have been a three point, 180* turn for a closed and narrow trail. I couldn't make that tight a turn with the Jeep/trailer combo. I ended up having to unhook, turn the Jeep around, pull around the trailer, turn the trailer and reconnect. I suspect that as I get better at pulling the trailer, I'll learn to handle this sort of problem better.

Cheers,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #21
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The most I have done that would be considered an "expedition" would be a 6 day/5 night trip to the North Maine Woods. I brought 10 gallons of fuel with me on top of a full tank of gas. I think the total trip was about 600+ miles and we stopped at an "outpost" to fuel up again. (Gas was $1 more than market price because it's in the middle of no-where )

I went up again Labor Day for 4 days/3 nights and made roughly the same route but more direct, brought 5 extra gallons with me. That trip was about 400 miles.

The "extras" I carried were 2 spare tires, gas, extra parts I don't usually bring, shotgun, bear pepper spray, and obviously the usual camping supplies with food and 5 gallons of drinking water.
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103 View Post
I've been building up my rig for long distance on and off pavement travel, so I guess that counts as an "Expedition Jeep". My philosophy when building the Jeep has been to protect the people first (first aid kit, fire extinguisher, training, CB, cage in the not too distant future, GPS etc) protect the investment second (armor and recovery) and then enhance the performance (lift, tires, axle upgrades etc). There's a lot that can be done in a stock Jeep.

I decided to go the trailer route instead of using a roof rack and I've been very happy I did. I can put myself and up to three other people in the TJ and all the equipment and supplies go into the trailer. The trailer has a steel lid that can be locked against both two and four legged predators. I can drop it in camp for a day of wheeling if I like, and it doesn't raise the center of gravity, eat up mileage or make noise on my daily commute. It also cost roughly the same as a quality rack. In the long run, I'd like to outfit it with a roof top tent as well as a small auxiliary electrical system for lighting, a fridge etc. The only time I've had a problem with it is on two occasions I had to make what would have been a three point, 180* turn for a closed and narrow trail. I couldn't make that tight a turn with the Jeep/trailer combo. I ended up having to unhook, turn the Jeep around, pull around the trailer, turn the trailer and reconnect. I suspect that as I get better at pulling the trailer, I'll learn to handle this sort of problem better.

Cheers,
Adam

Adam,

By acknowledging that safety is first and foremost I would bet that your rig in the end will be top notch.

Trailers and Roof Racks are really the only two options for a Jeep wrangler….especially if you have more than 2 people in the vehicle for the trip and your lugging every ones gear. I have been going back and forth with the idea of building or buying a trailer. I think the trailer will have to wait though because I just purchased a new roof rack.

Roof Racks are roof racks and most designs are the same in the long run. The key to a roof rack is organization and above all stabilizing the needed gear. It would really suck to be driving down the road or trail and loose a needed item. Just for some laughs here is a quick story. “A buddy of mine took his girlfriend on a long trip out west. She had never done anything like this before. On some back path she asked him to grab her book out of her bag that was stowed away on the roof rack. 5miles later (after getting the book for her) the trail got messy and off camber and after 17 miles of this they decided with dusk closing in to stop for the night. During set up of camp he noticed that there was some open space on the roof rack and a strap that had been unbuckled….of course he turned to his girl friend and asked her if she had gotten anything down…knowing damn well it wasn’t her. What came off? Answer – That’s right…his chicks bag. The only bag she brought…with everything she needed. Him telling this story over beer and a camp fire had me laughing till I cried. Of course the next day he planned to go 17 miles back up the nasty trail to find the bag….but before he even got a start on the day another rig pulled up and had the bag. The funny part about the whole thing was how the other rig discovered the bag. They stumbled upon a bag being rummaged through by critters right on the trail….the rig told them there was women’s clothes/products sprawled everywhere….”

Key to this obviously is always making sure your gear is secure.

Trailers can be a bear on cretin trails if not constructed right. But building one is pretty simple..just takes time. Trailers are a great asset to an expo rig…but most expo owners pay close attention to the weight and size of the one they use.

For those of you that are interested in buying a pre-made trailer for cheap….check out Harbor Freight…these little trailers are cheap and with a little time and effort could be turned into a solid homemade off road trailer.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1283958271
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #23
GhostKnife

I love those pop up suv topper tents, but man o man 4k for the tent, Whew. a little too much.
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Building and setting up an expo rig:

Building and setting up an expo rig:

Lets sum things up a little:

When it comes to starting your expo build there are a couple of things to keep in consideration. I will point out a few which I hope will help folks to make a more educated decision:

Important Questions:

1. What will be the purpose of your vehicle: Expedition, Trail Ride, or Multifunctional?
2. What % will be on pavement and what % off-road?
3. Fuel efficiency, how important is it for you? For example, if it’s an expedition rig you want it to be fuel efficient.
4. Tire and suspension: The lift totally depends on the size of tires you desire. The most commonly used size for expeditions are 33” or max 35” as they are capable and not too bad in fuel efficiency.
5. Remember to re-gear your differential to match your new tire size. For example, if you install 35” tires, you should re-gear to 4.56 or 4.88 which also depends on engine size.
6. Body armor is always required: rock rails, front and rear bumpers, skid plates for engine, transmission, transfer case, and fuel tank.
7. Lighting is very important for an expedition vehicle and there is a wide range of lights available.

What is the most common size lift on an expo Jeep?

This varies across the board. But most Expo Jeeps have 2 to 5in of total lift. Running 31-35in tires depending on lift (most commonly 33 and 35’s).

Things to carry in your rig at all the times:

Fire Extinguisher
First Aid kit
Kleenex Pack
Flares
Jack Lug Wrench
Heavy leathers Gloves
Recovery Straps
D-Rings
Universal Fan Belt
Radiator Stop Leak
Valve Stems
Cores Tire Plug kit
Zip ties
Jumper Cables
Fuses
Baling Wire
Duct Tape
JB- Weld
Head Lamp
Tire Pressure Gauge
Letherman or Similar
Energy bars
Water 1 Gallon (per person in vehicle)
Space Blanket
Sunscreen
Bug Repellent
Electrical tap

Tools:

Box and open wrenches
Hammers
Hex-Head wrenches
Various Size Ratchets
Assortment of Sockets
Vise Grips
Pliers
C- Clamps
Screwdrivers
Spindle socket
Hi-Lift Jack
Max Ax
Ratchet Straps
Air compressor or CO2 tank
Multimeter
Tarp
Coveralls
Latex Gloves

Fluids:

Engine oil filter
ATF
Gear oil and pump
Power Steering Fluid
Brake Fluid
Grease and Grease Gun
Starter Fluid
W-40
Silicone
Oil-Absorbing Mat
Small Container and Funnel
Extra Fuel

Parts:

Service Manual
Fuel Filter
Butt Connectors
House Clams
U Joints
U-Joints Straps or U bolts
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
GhostKnife

Your gunna need a expedition vehicle to follow your vehicle with all those parts lol. Great list though!
Unread 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #26
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Im sorry I really am but if your thinking of turning your TJ into an expedition vehicle, your wrong, there isnt enough room for spare...everything, you can only pile so much on top, and to top it all off dont kid yourself, Chrysler didnt build most of our Jeeps to last, thats why the aftermarket market is so huge, and a tent on top says nothing of expedition... all that space for cargo up top is now gone, it all depends on where your taking the rig but to prepare it for every continent is absurd, cant be done, those 4door JKs you mentioned tried to go from Paris to New York, I cant even be certain they finished because they had so many problems and that was with a BIG checkbook. Im not dogging your ability to explore and by all means get out there! I for one have always wanted to take my jeep from hometown to tip of South America, could happen... yes... but more likely you cant bring every part that might break, spread loading it over 3 vehicles, still didnt work... What will get you and whatever vehicle you choose (Landrover Discovery 90 for me if I had a choice) through the wilderness is experience, preparedness, optimism, and a never quit attitude, you might end up hoofin it to your destination, but its the journey right? thanks for reading, sorry for any offenses, and Jeep On!
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
Im sorry I really am but if your thinking of turning your TJ into an expedition vehicle, your wrong, there isnt enough room for spare...everything, you can only pile so much on top, and to top it all off dont kid yourself, Chrysler didnt build most of our Jeeps to last, thats why the aftermarket market is so huge, and a tent on top says nothing of expedition... all that space for cargo up top is now gone, it all depends on where your taking the rig but to prepare it for every continent is absurd, cant be done, those 4door JKs you mentioned tried to go from Paris to New York, I cant even be certain they finished because they had so many problems and that was with a BIG checkbook. Im not dogging your ability to explore and by all means get out there! I for one have always wanted to take my jeep from hometown to tip of South America, could happen... yes... but more likely you cant bring every part that might break, spread loading it over 3 vehicles, still didnt work... What will get you and whatever vehicle you choose (Landrover Discovery 90 for me if I had a choice) through the wilderness is experience, preparedness, optimism, and a never quit attitude, you might end up hoofin it to your destination, but its the journey right? thanks for reading, sorry for any offenses, and Jeep On!

Your response is worth every word. However, all this information is to help guide...learn by other mistakes and share with others the information you have compiled. To quote you "What will get you and whatever vehicle you choose (Landrover Discovery 90 for me if I had a choice) through the wilderness is experience, preparedness, optimism, and a never quit attitude, you might end up hoofin it to your destination, but its the journey right?" Everything here is to help those in seeing what is needed, seeing what works and doesnt work. Seeing what others have done. Ask any other person on a site like expeditionportal.com (the pirate4x4.com of the expo world) what is needed and what makes an expo rig an expo rig (even if its a week long trip 400 miles deep into the woods in Maine). You will be given a list of (5) 4x4 loads of things needed. But having all that information at hand you can weed through and gear up depending on your trip and your abilities.

Thanks for commenting though....
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #28
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

my pleasure! thanks for being an understanding OP, for example, I routinely (once every 2 months) go down the beach 40-50 miles to fish for sharks, there is NOTHING around that hasnt been there a thousand years or just washed up on the beach, I take extra fuel, kayak, surf and light tackle, coolers, bait, food, grill, tent, shade, the list goes on, and I do agree all this info at the ready makes checklists 10x faster and for that I applaud your reasoning and initiative in starting such a useful thread
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #29
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
Really like your rig, man. Glad you posted larger pics, I had seen it in your avatar and wanted to get a closer look. Great job!
taormina92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #30
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I often head to the beach for a weekend her back east...people must think I am nuts when I pull up fully loaded down....but almost everytime I am there someone comes by asking if I have something (parts,tools, etc). Going prepared is never a bad thing....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.