Expedition Jeep Topic - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Expedition Jeep Topic

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #271
tulman22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^ interested to see those 10.

Unread 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #272
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
I admire your preparedness. But 3 crescent wrenches? 3 vise grip? 4 plier? Full 1/2, 3/8,1/4 long and short socket? Haha, my god that's alot o stuff. Some pretty awesome pics - much envy. Cheers.
the toolset basically evolved as wanting to have everything i needed to do nearly any maintenance on the jeep at a friends garage back when i was living in an apartment. there have been plenty of times where i just couldn't quite accomplish a certain task without a specific tool. keeping a "emergency" kit and a "full" kit just wasn't practical, so i just take the whole shebang with me. i fully admit it's overkill!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #273
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Little late to the party but I love the guys that don't carry full socket sets because they think a cresent wrench is going to do it all. I have little to no use for them in auto repair. In my experience the head is always too big to fit into tight areas, and when you can get it on something it usually rounds off what your trying to turn.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #274
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ plus 1, right tool for the right job. my wife always complains about me having dozens of sockets/wrenches/drivers that are 99% the same, but i always tell her its that 1% that makes it worth it

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #275
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I personally don't carry my tools just to fix my jeep. There is no better feeling than being the guy who comes through in a pinch.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #276
Mike934

Very interested in the 10 comandments. And smith, please don't delete any of your pics don't wanna loose those ever. Very good setup showing what goes where and what you actually have.
Ill be coming similar for a tool set. Currently I have a smallish 100 odd piece craftsman set.
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #277
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

lol sorry, just haven't remember to do it. i'll get it up today

SEMPER FI
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #278
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good thread. We do two big trips a year into the National Forest system for two weeks. I typically carry 10 extra gallons of gas, 5 gallons of water, dried foods, wet wipes, spare spindle, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, 0* sleeping bag, my entire tool box, lots or rope, a bunch of tarps, various strength tie downs, shovel, survival knife, a small blow torch, two snatch blocks, chain, extra d-rings, foul weather gear, flash boil kit and two GPS units. A winch and lockers are a must. I'm on 35's and have a belly up system all of which saved me from getting stuck in two feet of snow deep into Gila NF last winter.

aTX427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #279
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
^^^^ plus 1, right tool for the right job. my wife always complains about me having dozens of sockets/wrenches/drivers that are 99% the same, but i always tell her its that 1% that makes it worth it
Exactly. I carry my entire tool box when we overland. I probably have 5-6 crescent wrenches with me. Something always breaks along the trip and preparedness is the key.
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #280
Mike934

I'm building mine for a expo rig currently. It's litterally torn down for a complete build currently. Dirtbound winch bumper up front with a lovely 12k warn I picked up off craigslist new in its box for 725 I also intend to go to him directly for a "customized" tire carrier. Also will be running 3 hella 500s and a pair of rigid pods like him as well.
It's a basic 3.5" RE springs, custom 3.5" deaver leafs 11 total, hd offroad no lift shackle relocation boxes & stock shackles. 7100s up front, re mono tubes rear. Upper and lower currie adjustables, may swap to a long arm. Iro double sheer track bar. Progressive poly rear bumps and prothane coil inserts up front.
Plated middles with HD offroad stiffeners. Custom front and rear stiffeners from 10 gauge thickness. Cmpelete bumper to bumper plating. 2x6 rocker replacements, custom made roof rack (still in the process of being built) that houses a 50" led bar and 2 side facing pods for camping or trail lights, lights already bought. TNT steering spacer, Durango box, stock pump with a small cooler. Crown HD steering, with a goferit insert on the driver side..no sway bars md feels great because the 7100s, believe the valving is 275/100.

D30, sleeved, gusseted and mini sids. 4.56s with a trutrac and 760x joints with full circle clips. Looking for chromos.
Ford 8.8, tubes welded & trussed. 4.56s, Aussie locked, disk breaks 31 spline & chromos.
Wheels are stock 15x7, 4" back spacing Bronco ii wheels. These look like American outlaw II's but are much cheaper and plentiful. Weigh 18lbs each. Tires are 33x10.5s

Paint will be flat tan with white he rises ceramic coating on the roof. Easy to touch up and cost pennies. Ceramic paint for the desert, to help keep it cool.
Stroker motor being built currently as well because the current motors knocking. Stock 96-99 cam, 1.7 yella terra rockers, ported head, sbc 1.94/1.50 valves, .038 quench, 9.2:1 compression. Using 232 crank & .060 over bore which makes it a 4.2l. Hit the main upgrade points...rollmasert billet dual roller, Johnson hylift lifters. The motor was ment to be close to stock but more efficient and the weak points fixed. Also was ment to have more oomph & run on 87 octane. Should put out close to 300ftlbs to carry the extra weight. It's a ax15 and np242. I pulled the 231 and put in a 242 because the full time option for snow or crazy rain..fits the expo theme better I think.

My biggest concern is weight so far but I feel I've been sparing I guess. Ive done this with a stock rig for 3 years now and am finally doing a full build from scratch. But the Bumpers, plating, rocker replacement & a low profile roof rack will have me probably 600lbs heavier than stock alone. The deaver leafs were probably 50 lbs heavier than the omes that came off the rig to..just alot of weight adds up. Once my basic is covered ill go to interior mods. I always felt you need a good base before anything such as axles, bumpers, recovery, frame plating ect. I've over landed..camped & weekend to 4 days trips really in a basically stock rig for 3 years. Upgraded as I saw fit and am now going all out. I wrecked the re 3.5" leafs, the ome 3.5s were still "soft" and sagged with gear and spares. The deavers I dreamed about and hen deemed 100% needed! The rides about the same as the omes yet I've had 600lbs of work out plates and only lost 3/4". The deavers have 4 more leafs as well, 7 vs 11.

I will say weight, keep weight in mind and keep it low! If you add 1000lbs like me & then add a load of gear, gas, food. water and people, your gonna be pushing your max weight the vehicle can handle....and weight positioning. I run no sways but semi stiff shocks to carry the weight & help control body roll, so I think about weight positioning. Remember you can always run a hitch carrier basket type deal vs roof rack and to boot you'd get more mileage since there's no extra drag on the roof . Also if you go out alone and don't have a winch, get real friendly with your high lift, it got my out numerous times. Also think where you will be, the desert doesn't always have ALOT of "winching" points so a winch isn't always ideal and can be wasted wait..I feel like that currently..wasted weight...had I not got a deal on my dirtbound bumper I would have a simple bumper with a receiver so I can run a "removeable winch". Capable to move it front to rear is nice, as well as not hucking an extra 100lbs around for daily driving is nice. Take it off leave it at home and when you got out on a trip, hook her up!

Also think of your "aux lighting". LEDs tend to freeze over is snow. So led head lights may not be your best bet although very cool! I have a led light bar and will have 3 55w halogen hella 500s. The halogens get hot enough to melt snow that builds up on the lens, so incase a blizzard or something I still have spare aux lighting if needed!
Last thing, KISS. Keep it stupid simple. Stock, off the shel replacement parts! I wanted currie steering but the wait time for tres suck..so I did the v8 zj steering. Simple stuff like that matters.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #281
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ten commandments

ok, finaly. it took forever to type so i hope yall enjoy it, print it off, put in your glovebox, share with others, whatever.

TEN COMMANDMENTS
OF SURVIVAL IN THE DESERT
WHEN LOST OR STRANDED

1. HOLD ON TO A SURVIVAL ATTITUDE. Your most valuable asset in any life threatening situation is a positive mental attitude. if you aren't certain you can live- you will die.

2. STAY WHERE YOU ARE - STAY CALM. if you are driving a vehicle, remain with it. Relocate only to reach saftey and water.

3. MOVE ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY AND ONLY AT NIGHT. If your position is unedurable, change location during the cooler night hours. Move only when you know you can get there safely by doing the following.
a. Leave a clear trail with notes and directional signs.
b. On the note, give your name, date, time, direction and reason you are going.
c. Proceed in a specific direction, change your line of movement only after you have left a sign or marker.
d. Go slowly and carefully - beware of overexertion.

4. CONSERVE YOUR SWEAT, NOT WATER. Rest by day, work on shelter and signals during evening/morning. DRINK as often as you need water. Rub your body with urine and other liquids to keep cool.

5. PROTECT YOUR BODY. When in the sun and heat remember to:
a. Keep your clothes on. loosen but do not remove them.
b. keep your boots/shoes and head gear on.
c. relax in deep shade, keeping you eye protected from glare.
d. if in the open with no shade nearby, use anything available to make shade.

6. MAKE A FUSS WHEN YOU HEAR OR SEE OTHERS NEARBY.
a. signal by any means at hand. use a shaving mirro to reflect the sun. wave a brightly colored item.
b. make marks in the sand or lay out rocks large enough to be seen from the air: SOS or HELP.
c. start fire - smoke in the daytime and flame at night.
d. get invloved in your rescue but convserve your body water.

(this isn't part of the comandments but yelling at a helicopter is something that could kill you if you are malnurished and/or dehydrated. if you ever flew in a helo then you know you can barrely hear the guy right next to you yelling in your ear. so the pilots or any passenger will not hear you from the ground. just wave and use signals but don't exhaust yourself by yelling. back to the commandments....)

7. DONT EAT ANYTHING!
a. all food is water demanding. water is drawn out of your system to process and digest what you eat.
b. no salt or salt tabs - they will dehydrate you.

8. KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED. Breather through your nose to minimize evaporitive water loss.

9. THINK LIKE A SEARCHER. Do things that will make it easier for your rescuers to find you:
a. leave a clear trail with notes and directional signs.
b. on the note, give your name, day, time, direction and reason you are going.
c. have a goal in mind - go in one direction with care. AVOID INJURY.

10. USE YOUR HEAD, NOT YOUR SWEAT; DRINK THE WATER YOU HAVE. never ration water! drink what you have as you need it. discipline is essential to survival

SEMPER FI
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #282
cwadej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 2000 TJ is slowly being transformed into my expo vehicle. I read almost everything over on ExPo. I'm building a trailer that will get the RTT. My jeep pulls it just fine. 20 gallons of water on board, 15 gallons of fuel, stove built in. Then tons of cargo space. Still very much a work in progress.
cwadej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #283
aTX427
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
I'm building mine for a expo rig currently. It's litterally torn down for a complete build currently. Dirtbound winch bumper up front with a lovely 12k warn I picked up off craigslist new in its box for 725 I also intend to go to him directly for a "customized" tire carrier. Also will be running 3 hella 500s and a pair of rigid pods like him as well.
It's a basic 3.5" RE springs, custom 3.5" deaver leafs 11 total, hd offroad no lift shackle relocation boxes & stock shackles. 7100s up front, re mono tubes rear. Upper and lower currie adjustables, may swap to a long arm. Iro double sheer track bar. Progressive poly rear bumps and prothane coil inserts up front.
Plated middles with HD offroad stiffeners. Custom front and rear stiffeners from 10 gauge thickness. Cmpelete bumper to bumper plating. 2x6 rocker replacements, custom made roof rack (still in the process of being built) that houses a 50" led bar and 2 side facing pods for camping or trail lights, lights already bought. TNT steering spacer, Durango box, stock pump with a small cooler. Crown HD steering, with a goferit insert on the driver side..no sway bars md feels great because the 7100s, believe the valving is 275/100.

D30, sleeved, gusseted and mini sids. 4.56s with a trutrac and 760x joints with full circle clips. Looking for chromos.
Ford 8.8, tubes welded & trussed. 4.56s, Aussie locked, disk breaks 31 spline & chromos.
Wheels are stock 15x7, 4" back spacing Bronco ii wheels. These look like American outlaw II's but are much cheaper and plentiful. Weigh 18lbs each. Tires are 33x10.5s

Paint will be flat tan with white he rises ceramic coating on the roof. Easy to touch up and cost pennies. Ceramic paint for the desert, to help keep it cool.
Stroker motor being built currently as well because the current motors knocking. Stock 96-99 cam, 1.7 yella terra rockers, ported head, sbc 1.94/1.50 valves, .038 quench, 9.2:1 compression. Using 232 crank & .060 over bore which makes it a 4.2l. Hit the main upgrade points...rollmasert billet dual roller, Johnson hylift lifters. The motor was ment to be close to stock but more efficient and the weak points fixed. Also was ment to have more oomph & run on 87 octane. Should put out close to 300ftlbs to carry the extra weight. It's a ax15 and np242. I pulled the 231 and put in a 242 because the full time option for snow or crazy rain..fits the expo theme better I think.

My biggest concern is weight so far but I feel I've been sparing I guess. Ive done this with a stock rig for 3 years now and am finally doing a full build from scratch. But the Bumpers, plating, rocker replacement & a low profile roof rack will have me probably 600lbs heavier than stock alone. The deaver leafs were probably 50 lbs heavier than the omes that came off the rig to..just alot of weight adds up. Once my basic is covered ill go to interior mods. I always felt you need a good base before anything such as axles, bumpers, recovery, frame plating ect. I've over landed..camped & weekend to 4 days trips really in a basically stock rig for 3 years. Upgraded as I saw fit and am now going all out. I wrecked the re 3.5" leafs, the ome 3.5s were still "soft" and sagged with gear and spares. The deavers I dreamed about and hen deemed 100% needed! The rides about the same as the omes yet I've had 600lbs of work out plates and only lost 3/4". The deavers have 4 more leafs as well, 7 vs 11.

I will say weight, keep weight in mind and keep it low! If you add 1000lbs like me & then add a load of gear, gas, food. water and people, your gonna be pushing your max weight the vehicle can handle....and weight positioning. I run no sways but semi stiff shocks to carry the weight & help control body roll, so I think about weight positioning. Remember you can always run a hitch carrier basket type deal vs roof rack and to boot you'd get more mileage since there's no extra drag on the roof . Also if you go out alone and don't have a winch, get real friendly with your high lift, it got my out numerous times. Also think where you will be, the desert doesn't always have ALOT of "winching" points so a winch isn't always ideal and can be wasted wait..I feel like that currently..wasted weight...had I not got a deal on my dirtbound bumper I would have a simple bumper with a receiver so I can run a "removeable winch". Capable to move it front to rear is nice, as well as not hucking an extra 100lbs around for daily driving is nice. Take it off leave it at home and when you got out on a trip, hook her up!

Also think of your "aux lighting". LEDs tend to freeze over is snow. So led head lights may not be your best bet although very cool! I have a led light bar and will have 3 55w halogen hella 500s. The halogens get hot enough to melt snow that builds up on the lens, so incase a blizzard or something I still have spare aux lighting if needed!
Last thing, KISS. Keep it stupid simple. Stock, off the shel replacement parts! I wanted currie steering but the wait time for tres suck..so I did the v8 zj steering. Simple stuff like that matters.
I would forget that heavy equipment and look for lightest weight materials possible for add-on's, armor, etc, because it does add up fast. In my picture above, I had a 2.5" lift that was sagged down 2.5" because of the weight. I have since sold all the heavy parts and replaced them with aluminum; e.g., bumper, fenders, racks, winch mount, synthetic rope, an aluminum fairlead and full hard doors for full soft doors, which saved nearly 1,000 lbs.

I also changed what I pack, how much and the material as well in an effort to keep weight to a minimum. Gear weight and placement is critical if you do any kind of climbing, especially if you find yourself in an off camber situation. I have since reevaluated camp gear, clothes and cook wear. Anything that can be fit into a compression bag is getting compressed for space savings. I have a big rack on top, but it's aluminum and reserve it for lightweight items and/or the things I need to retrieve quickly; e.g., shelter, rescue and recovery.

In the near term, I plan on replacing my rock guards with aluminum, going to aluminum wheels and changing out my hood for one made from Lexan. As you can tell, I am big into weight savings and efficiency.
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #284
DeafJeep

Good advice for when I move back to Texas.
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #285
theksmith
2003 WJ 

if you're in AZ next weekend, be sure to come by the Overland Expo 2013! my rig and i will be there at the Offroad Passport exhibit (location #72).

we're also going to be camped the whole time in the forest nearby, feel free to join us - info here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2607
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.