ok, finaly. it took forever to type so i hope yall enjoy it, print it off, put in your glovebox, share with others, whatever.
OF SURVIVAL IN THE DESERT
WHEN LOST OR STRANDED
1. HOLD ON TO A SURVIVAL ATTITUDE. Your most valuable asset in any life threatening situation is a positive mental attitude. if you aren't certain you can live- you will die.
2. STAY WHERE YOU ARE - STAY CALM. if you are driving a vehicle, remain with it. Relocate only to reach saftey and water.
3. MOVE ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY AND ONLY AT NIGHT. If your position is unedurable, change location during the cooler night hours. Move only when you know you can get there safely by doing the following.
a. Leave a clear trail with notes and directional signs.
b. On the note, give your name, date, time, direction and reason you are going.
c. Proceed in a specific direction, change your line of movement only after you have left a sign or marker.
d. Go slowly and carefully - beware of overexertion.
4. CONSERVE YOUR SWEAT, NOT WATER. Rest by day, work on shelter and signals during evening/morning. DRINK as often as you need water. Rub your body with urine and other liquids to keep cool.
5. PROTECT YOUR BODY. When in the sun and heat remember to:
a. Keep your clothes on. loosen but do not remove them.
b. keep your boots/shoes and head gear on.
c. relax in deep shade, keeping you eye protected from glare.
d. if in the open with no shade nearby, use anything available to make shade.
6. MAKE A FUSS WHEN YOU HEAR OR SEE OTHERS NEARBY.
a. signal by any means at hand. use a shaving mirro to reflect the sun. wave a brightly colored item.
b. make marks in the sand or lay out rocks large enough to be seen from the air: SOS or HELP.
c. start fire - smoke in the daytime and flame at night.
d. get invloved in your rescue but convserve your body water.
(this isn't part of the comandments but yelling at a helicopter is something that could kill you if you are malnurished and/or dehydrated. if you ever flew in a helo then you know you can barrely hear the guy right next to you yelling in your ear. so the pilots or any passenger will not hear you from the ground. just wave and use signals but don't exhaust yourself by yelling. back to the commandments....)
7. DONT EAT ANYTHING!
a. all food is water demanding. water is drawn out of your system to process and digest what you eat.
b. no salt or salt tabs - they will dehydrate you.
8. KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED. Breather through your nose to minimize evaporitive water loss.
9. THINK LIKE A SEARCHER. Do things that will make it easier for your rescuers to find you:
a. leave a clear trail with notes and directional signs.
b. on the note, give your name, day, time, direction and reason you are going.
c. have a goal in mind - go in one direction with care. AVOID INJURY.
10. USE YOUR HEAD, NOT YOUR SWEAT; DRINK THE WATER YOU HAVE. never ration water! drink what you have as you need it. discipline is essential to survival