Excellent Paint Scratch Fixer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Excellent Paint Scratch Fixer

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent Paint Scratch Fixer

Lots of pro & con reports on Meguires "Scratch X 2.0".
I believe most negative comments come from not using it properly! The directions are not excellent.
I found this 'How to use it' testimonial on line and it has worked miracles for me........

"Notice I do not say 'Scratch X' is a scratch remover?
You cant "remove" what isnt there! A scratch is a void.
Im an auto detailer. I have used Meguiars products for 20 yrs and Scratch-X (2.0) is great.
YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

Scratch-X is NOT an abrasive polish. It is more of a glaze. Scratch-X is a "finesse product".
It will save your butt on almost ANY size scratch or blemish that isn't through the base coat of color.
The product "burnishes" the paint back into shape rather than rubbing it away - this is what makes it SOOOO good in the right hands.

-Use a microfiber cloth. Anything else will put more scratches in the finish then you are trying to remove.
-Create a little pad for yourself so you can apply pressure without hand cramping.
-Put a nickle size dallop on the center of your "pad".
-Rub......rub against the scratch criss crossing the scratch line. DO NOT GO WITH THE SCRATCH.
-When you feel the pad drying out, put more product on. Dont rub dry.
-Hard pressure and elbow grease is only at first, lighten up your pressure when you see the scratch starting to disappear. FINESSE.

For DEEP scratches it will be impossible to "level" the scratch or make it disappear. Instead, you will soften the hard edges and smooth it out so it is "invisible" from 3 feet away.
This is "minimizing" or "concealing" the scratch.
I have removed or concealed the most HEINOUS blemishes and cuts in fresh clearcoat.

Remember, FINESSE. If this is something you dont possess, seek a professional detailer.
This is a great, great product."

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, interesting and thanks for the tip. Itís not something that I will be doing to my Jeep but Iím sure it will be very useful to others.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

I've got some pretty bad scratches and I'd like to try this out. Sounds good.
Unread 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I think I'm about 50/50 ratio of paint on vehicle to paint left on sagebrush branches. I might just give this a shot.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
mrclark25
1994 ZJ 

i got a scratch on my jeep from going through a tree to avoid 2' (yes, 2 feet) deep ruts on a trail.

if i try this, ill probably post before and after pictures.
mrclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclark25 View Post
i got a scratch on my jeep from going through a tree........
.... sounds funny.
As stated, if not scratched down to bare metal, should do alot to hide it!

Last Friday, two of us found a 4 wheeler/ATV trail through the woods. Great trail with a lot of challanging climbs but very narrow (for TJ's).
I had one bad scratch, down the whole side of my hood, from a broken off, 1" branch . Took me 30 min, just on the one scratch, to remove sharp edges and blend in the gouge.
But like the dealer quoted above says.... would not notice it unless you got 2-3 feet away and were looking for imperfections.

I leave the dried cream, that gets spread out on either side of the scratches, till the next day to wash it off..... giving the scratch itself a chance to "set up". Don't know if this helps or not??

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
ShowroomShine
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post

I leave the dried cream, that gets spread out on either side of the scratches, till the next day to wash it off..... giving the scratch itself a chance to "set up". Don't know if this helps or not??

RJ
Does nothing, I'm also an auto detailer. Simply wipe it off after you are done using the product.
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I second Maguiars for taking out scratches on top of the fenders.

Especially if you have been mudding or it's winter and you have to rest tools there...even with a fender cover you're getting scratches. The turtle wax version will also work. Use a kitchen sponge (not the kind with the Brillo side) and wrap it in the microfiber towel...it's easier to work with than the microfiber covered sponges. A mesh covered bug remover sponge is a good size too...covered with a microfiber towel. Make sure to shake the product really well...it's like mustard or ketchup it separates.

Quadratec has touch up paints in jeep colors...easier than getting at the dealer for older colors. A scratch down to bare metal needs paint. The rust oleum scratch fix kit had everything you need to putty, prime...etc.
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Lots of pro & con reports on Meguires "Scratch X 2.0".
I believe most negative comments come from not using it properly! The directions are not excellent.
I found this 'How to use it' testimonial on line and it has worked miracles for me........

"Notice I do not say 'Scratch X' is a scratch remover?
You cant "remove" what isnt there! A scratch is a void.
Im an auto detailer. I have used Meguiars products for 20 yrs and Scratch-X (2.0) is great.
YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

Scratch-X is NOT an abrasive polish. It is more of a glaze. Scratch-X is a "finesse product".
It will save your butt on almost ANY size scratch or blemish that isn't through the base coat of color.
The product "burnishes" the paint back into shape rather than rubbing it away - this is what makes it SOOOO good in the right hands.

-Use a microfiber cloth. Anything else will put more scratches in the finish then you are trying to remove.
-Create a little pad for yourself so you can apply pressure without hand cramping.
-Put a nickle size dallop on the center of your "pad".
-Rub......rub against the scratch criss crossing the scratch line. DO NOT GO WITH THE SCRATCH.
-When you feel the pad drying out, put more product on. Dont rub dry.
-Hard pressure and elbow grease is only at first, lighten up your pressure when you see the scratch starting to disappear. FINESSE.

For DEEP scratches it will be impossible to "level" the scratch or make it disappear. Instead, you will soften the hard edges and smooth it out so it is "invisible" from 3 feet away.
This is "minimizing" or "concealing" the scratch.
I have removed or concealed the most HEINOUS blemishes and cuts in fresh clearcoat.

Remember, FINESSE. If this is something you dont possess, seek a professional detailer.
This is a great, great product."
I have a lot of trail rash and tried the original scratch-x and it didn't seem to do much.

I will try the "scratch-x-2" and use it like you suggested.

Thanks.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.