Engo E10000 Winch Review - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Engo E10000 Winch Review

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #91
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just killed my second engo. The first one I thought was a defect. Yet here we are 12 pulls later and the second one did the same thing the first one did. Both times it happened with no load on the winch. The springs in the clutch break and get caught in the gears and bind everything up. And surprise surprise Engo will not return a call or email about the warranty on my less than 6 month old winch. It seems this is becoming a common issue as a quick web search turned up lots of people having the same exact issue. I am now eating crow. I am gonna give superwinch a shot. On quadratec there is a sale. $3000 for a 9500 pound one.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #92
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Just killed my second engo. The first one I thought was a defect. Yet here we are 12 pulls later and the second one did the same thing the first one did. Both times it happened with no load on the winch. The springs in the clutch break and get caught in the gears and bind everything up. And surprise surprise Engo will not return a call or email about the warranty on my less than 6 month old winch. It seems this is becoming a common issue as a quick web search turned up lots of people having the same exact issue. I am now eating crow. I am gonna give superwinch a shot. On quadratec there is a sale. $3000 for a 9500 pound one.

Do you mean $300.00?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #93
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross

Do you mean $300.00?
Oops damn auto correct. Yes I meant 300

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #94
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Siva, pretty sure you bought this from us. Let me get involved with it. I can say despite your experience that we have less problems with Engo than any other budget winch out there and the chances of this happening are slim as can be. There was a very small number of winches that had an issue with the clutch brake, but that has been addressed. No need to go out and spend more money on another winch. Shoot me a PM with your phone number.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #95
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris
Siva, pretty sure you bought this from us. Let me get involved with it. I can say despite your experience that we have less problems with Engo than any other budget winch out there and the chances of this happening are slim as can be. There was a very small number of winches that had an issue with the clutch brake, but that has been addressed. No need to go out and spend more money on another winch. Shoot me a PM with your phone number.
Thanks Chris. That's above and beyond considering per written warranty you no longer have any obligation at this point. You are correct I got this winch through you a few months ago. I have put some really hard pulls on this winch and it never flinched. I still can't say its not disheartening that it did this with no load but if it is a known issue that has/is being rectified that would definitely make me willing to give it one more shot as other than this one issue the winch has been awesome. One pull was hard enough to where it trashed a 3 year old 750 amp battery but the winch still didn't flinch. It had really impressed me up to this point.

Unread 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #96
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well Chris got it taken care of and the replacement ships Monday.

Unread 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #97
brunkhorse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add my 2 cents on this winch:

I received it for my birthday around June 2012. Like the OP my box also came beat up but everything was fine and undamaged. I even have the same front bumper as the OP (Smittybilt XRC) so I also had to take it off to get to the mounting holes. Quality was decent but you can definitely see a difference when comparing to my bro's Warn winch. However I park on the street in NYC and didn't want an expensive winch that could be possibly stolen or vandalized.

A few issues I found right away during install:

-The hook that came with the winch was downright awful. It was misshapen so it could not clip onto a D-ring. The bend was not big enough so the end of the hook was too close to the be beginning and the gap was not big enough. I also could not attach it to the looped end of the steel cable again cause the gap was not big enough. I ordered a hook from a different manufacturer and solved that issue.

-The fairlead roller is not the standard width as all other rollers I've dealt with are. It is not as wide by a good 1.5-2 inches. Didn't realize this until I tried to attach the Tuffy EZ flip license plate holder that is supposed to clip onto the fairlead.

Issues that have arisen in the last 10 months:

-I reused the hook pull handle that originally came with the winch. 2 months in the elements and it literally disintegrated in my hands as I pulled on it to unspool the winch.

-3 months out in the elements and the winch looks 20 years old. The Engo logo faded as well as the solenoid box. The clutch lever began to rust. Winter wasn't even close yet it was the end of summer... To be fair I did not put a cover on it. They have one available but after seeing the quality of the pull strap for the hook I opted not to buy it.

I got to put the winch in action maybe 4 or 5 months after I installed it. I used it to extract a Land Rover Discovery and a Nissan Pathfinder. Both were pretty easy extractions so I didn't really count them as a real test. The winch handled them with ease.

Finally about 2 weeks ago I had a chance to really test the winch. High centered in a mud hole in about 3 feet of water. Hooked up my remote and my buddy grabbed the hook. I began to unspool but the cable stayed put. I was confused cause the spool was spinning but it wasn't letting the cable out. Embarrassed I ended up getting pulled out of the mud hole via my rear D-rings. Came home and finally got the cable to come out. The end of cable that was attached to the spool had come apart. It was no longer attached to the spool which explained why it was just spinning while the cable stayed put. It was the 3rd time I had used the winch. I don't think I even let out more than 50% of the cable ever so there's no way it failed cause I let out too much. See attached picture.

I sent Engo an email with the serial number and they did send out a replacement cable free of charge. Just installed it tonight with my bro's help. With him telling me "You should've gone with the Warn bro" the whole time haha. I still don't feel I've really "used" this winch. I haven't pushed it anywhere near it's limit. Sadly the issues I've seen don't really give me much confidence that it will come through when I need it the most. Maybe in time I will change my mind and edit this review accordingly. Do I recommend this product to you? I'm really on the fence but right now I would be leaning towards "No". If I could do it again I probably would've just sprung the extra money on the Warn. If I had to buy another "budget" winch I think I would go with Smittybilt or even the Quadratec winches. The old adage "you get what you pay for" definitely applies in this case.
brunkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #98
brunkhorse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a picture of the frayed cable end.
forumrunner_20130424_005947.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #99
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That winch (OP's top photos) looks exactly (EXACTLY!) like my 14 yr old Warn M8000. The Engo controller looks like crap, like the simple Warn toggle, but the winch looks the same.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #100
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

I haven't been here in awhile because I traded my TJ about 6 months after getting the winch. I will tell you that I put that winch through hell in the 6 months that I had it. I winched my buddies f-150 out of a lot of stuff with that winch. It got me out of a few sticky situations. I recently just bought a 2013 JK and I'm starting over. Whether I go with Engo again or not I don't know. I am just getting out of college with a good job lined up. I will have a little bit more money to spend this time around. I will say though, I trusted my Engo winch to work everywhere and every time I needed it.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #101
HighlakeTJ

year nhalf mines going like champ
HighlakeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #102
brunkhorse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The issues I've had haven't been with the motor or solenoid it's been with the other parts that came with it. Did you have no issues with your hook or fairlead?
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #103
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had mine covered for most of the time that I had it so that wasn't much of an issue. It was also in Colorado for about 5 of the 6 months I used it. Rust isn't much of an issue here either. My hook was a little narrow if I remember right, but not so bad that I wouldn't fit around a d-ring. This was my first winch so I the fairlead never crossed my mind.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #104
chevellian
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Engo 10000lb winch experience.

I bought an Engo 10000S electric winch from Truck Addons in June of 2012. I was impressed by the Engo winch performance in the Fourwheeler magazines winch shootout. The price was very attractive at $460 to my door.

My experience with the winch has been less than stellar. I used the winch for the first time about 2 months after purchasing it, I winched a TJ out of a bad spot. the winch worked great, slow and noisy, but got the job done. The second pull came about one month later, I rescued my own TJ from a precarious position on a steep hill. The winch worked as before and I felt pretty good about the money I saved.

About two months later things took a turn for the worse. I was going to respool the rope at a local spot, freespooled the rope out and engaged the winch, hit the button, nothing. I had no power at all. After opening the solenoid box I found there was about a half inch of water in it and the solenoids were trashed. I replaced the solenoid pack with new and sealed the top bolt holes and sides of the box with silicone. The winch was now working again. I didn't use it for some time after that.

A couple of weeks ago I was called by a friend to help get his truck unstuck. I hooked up and started pulling, the winch sounded a little worse than normal and it only pulled for about 15 seconds, then it was dead. The solenoids were clicking but the motor did not turn. I barely got tension on the line when the winch quit.

I tested the winch motor by bypassing the solenoids, motor did not run in either direction. I decided to investigate. I removed the winch from my Jeep and tore it down. This is what I found:

Water had pretty much gotten into every possible place in the winch. The brushes are dogfast, I cant even move them by hand. There is rust everywhere. The picture of rusty water in that lid was poured out of the gearset side. There was no gasket at all between the motor and sideplate. The gasket between the gearset and sideplate was a thin paper gasket that looked to have been installed incorrectly as it was partially inside at one bolt hole.

I don't wheel that hard, mostly rocks. I don't think I ever had the winch submerged, and If I did it wasn't for long. I tend to stay away from deep water and mud. The winch was subject to rain and washings at the car wash, I did not have a winch cover on it. I can't comment on the hook because I put a safety thimble on from the get go. I don't understand how this winch could be this bad after a year.

I contacted Engo through e-mail on Friday(joel@engousa.com). Joel replied back on Monday stating that the winch would be covered under warranty and asked for the serial number and my phone number so he could call me. A week went by and no reply. I called Engo and Joel answered the phone, (dumb luck?) he told me they would ship a new motor out the next day. One week later I had a new motor on my porch.

I completely rebuilt my winch with the new motor and cleaned and re greased the planetary gear set. I used rtv for the gaskets. Also decided to remote mount the solenoids under the hood at this time. Winch is in good working order now.

Thought for sure the winch would get a workout yesterday as I ran my first red trail. We ran Crawldaddy at Rausch Creek and to my delight I didn't need the winch

In conclusion I am not very impressed with the Engo 10000. I bought a cheap winch and that is what I received. Customer service was pretty good, they took care of my issue with only slight prodding. Can't say that I would recommend the winch to anyone.

Sorry for the book, but I wanted to be accurate. This was my experience I hope yours is better.

Rob
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #105
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Well I just got an Engo 10KS winch and I am putting it on today. I'll let you know if there are any issues and keep this review updated.

Hey Jerry, as a mod, could you remove all the Warn argument parts of the thread that don't have anything to do with reviewing the Engo winch? It takes up a lot of space and is really discouraging to read through.

Edit 1: got the bumper painted and the winch installed. No problems what so ever. The diagrams could have been better, but if I had a question, all I had to do was RTFM. It was pretty plug and play.

I picked up the 10K, synthetic rope, wireless remote and cover for $442 shipped to my door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.