My Engo 10000lb winch experience.
I bought an Engo 10000S electric winch from Truck Addons in June of 2012. I was impressed by the Engo winch performance in the Fourwheeler magazines winch shootout. The price was very attractive at $460 to my door.
My experience with the winch has been less than stellar. I used the winch for the first time about 2 months after purchasing it, I winched a TJ out of a bad spot. the winch worked great, slow and noisy, but got the job done. The second pull came about one month later, I rescued my own TJ from a precarious position on a steep hill. The winch worked as before and I felt pretty good about the money I saved.
About two months later things took a turn for the worse. I was going to respool the rope at a local spot, freespooled the rope out and engaged the winch, hit the button, nothing. I had no power at all. After opening the solenoid box I found there was about a half inch of water in it and the solenoids were trashed. I replaced the solenoid pack with new and sealed the top bolt holes and sides of the box with silicone. The winch was now working again. I didn't use it for some time after that.
A couple of weeks ago I was called by a friend to help get his truck unstuck. I hooked up and started pulling, the winch sounded a little worse than normal and it only pulled for about 15 seconds, then it was dead. The solenoids were clicking but the motor did not turn. I barely got tension on the line when the winch quit.
I tested the winch motor by bypassing the solenoids, motor did not run in either direction. I decided to investigate. I removed the winch from my Jeep and tore it down. This is what I found:
Water had pretty much gotten into every possible place in the winch. The brushes are dogfast, I cant even move them by hand. There is rust everywhere. The picture of rusty water in that lid was poured out of the gearset side. There was no gasket at all between the motor and sideplate. The gasket between the gearset and sideplate was a thin paper gasket that looked to have been installed incorrectly as it was partially inside at one bolt hole.
I don't wheel that hard, mostly rocks. I don't think I ever had the winch submerged, and If I did it wasn't for long. I tend to stay away from deep water and mud. The winch was subject to rain and washings at the car wash, I did not have a winch cover on it. I can't comment on the hook because I put a safety thimble on from the get go. I don't understand how this winch could be this bad after a year.
I contacted Engo through e-mail on Friday(email@example.com). Joel replied back on Monday stating that the winch would be covered under warranty and asked for the serial number and my phone number so he could call me. A week went by and no reply. I called Engo and Joel answered the phone, (dumb luck?) he told me they would ship a new motor out the next day. One week later I had a new motor on my porch.
I completely rebuilt my winch with the new motor and cleaned and re greased the planetary gear set. I used rtv for the gaskets. Also decided to remote mount the solenoids under the hood at this time. Winch is in good working order now.
Thought for sure the winch would get a workout yesterday as I ran my first red trail. We ran Crawldaddy at Rausch Creek and to my delight I didn't need the winch
In conclusion I am not very impressed with the Engo 10000. I bought a cheap winch and that is what I received. Customer service was pretty good, they took care of my issue with only slight prodding. Can't say that I would recommend the winch to anyone.
Sorry for the book, but I wanted to be accurate. This was my experience I hope yours is better.