Engo E10000 Winch Review - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Engo E10000 Winch Review

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #76
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseblfrk09 View Post
Is abrasion really an issue with synthetic? I am in the rocks a lot when I am home for the summer in colorado. I can imagine that when winching I could be wincing across some nasty stuff. Jerry you said you have had yours for awhile have you ran into abrasion issues? I know they make abrasion sleeves, but how often are they actually used?
90%+ of my wheeling is on the rocks but I haven't yet been in a situation where I had to drag my line over rocks. So far, in 7 years of synthetic rope use for primarly rock crawling, I've yet to have the need to use my rope's abrasion sleeve to protect it. It happens, but so far it hasn't happened to me. My Viking rope came with an abasion sleeve pre-installed just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
I think I'm going to sell that HF10k to one of my employees... I was looking at some of the new Warn winches, and I don't understand the differences between all the different models, like the XP, M, XD, TI, CTI, etc. I know the VR's are the new entry level units, and I know about the Endurance, and PowerPlant winches... but all the rest... I don't get what makes one better than the other besides the -S winches have Spydura... Little help Jerry.

*** I didnt know I could click on each series on Warn's site... makes a little more sense.
Hah I can't keep up with all of them either, I have to click on them myself so your knowledge on those various winches is now fresher than mine. Once I selected the 9.5xp to replace the HS-9500i that was on my stolen Jeep, I haven't been on the Warn site all that much. I sure miss that HS-9500i.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #77
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Size-wise, I'd only go for 3/8" synthetic, 5/16" synthetic just doesn't have enough of a safety margin to suit me. 3/8" synthetic would be fine for any winch up to about the 12K capacity. Brand-wise, I'm a big fan of Viking at www.winchline.com due to knowing the two guys who own it (both are Jeepers, one I have wheeled with) and the quality of the two 3/8" Viking winch lines I have owned over the years. Pretty much everyone local I respect is running a Viking 3/8" line.

Just for grins, this Jeep is owned by Jon who is half-owner of Viking. It's an amazing Jeep built for him by Blaine Johnsond, I took the second pic of it while having the pleasure of wheeling with Jon on a trail in Johnson Valley called Sunbonnet.
Jerry their website is now http://vikingoffroad.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseblfrk09 View Post
Is abrasion really an issue with synthetic? I am in the rocks a lot when I am home for the summer in colorado. I can imagine that when winching I could be wincing across some nasty stuff. Jerry you said you have had yours for awhile have you ran into abrasion issues? I know they make abrasion sleeves, but how often are they actually used?

I have had to use the sleeve and a blanket due to contact with the ground on a up hill pull.
You may use the sleeve and you may not, all recoveries are not the same.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #78
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Jerry their website is now http://vikingoffroad.com/
Creature of habit, I'll have to start using their newer URL. The www.winchline.com website I gave above is still up and running though.

Unread 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #79
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not trying to stoke the fire here just offering my own experience and avenue I went down. Maybe it can be a viable option for others if they can find a good deal. I don't care what winch anyone runs nor do push anything on anyone. I did my own research and decided what I wanted to do.

Like a lot of folks I couldn't throw down the money for a brand new Warn winch but I picked up a used one from a guy a buddy and I have dealt with a lot of craigslist for jeep parts. It was $300 and it got me out of a lot of sticky situations. I ended up heating it up a good bit and decided to rebuild it after charring the varnish on the windings. Which is why I agree with TSE below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
10 years from now if your China made winch needs to be rebuilt what are you going to do?
Well lets see, I paid $300 for the winch, the parts for the rebuild cost $250. (if you can even get them)
Heck I can buy another winch for $50 more.
This is the end result folks and why buying products that are made overseas should be avoided.
These products are made to use untill they fail.
They are too cheap to rebuild, so they go in the garbage.
Hey we are a throw away society right?
If you want to see my rebuild just click the link in my sig. You can see the condition of my winch when I took it apart and I lay out the cost for the parts that I ordered from Warn out of Oregon. I enjoyed rebuilding it and I hope I can find an old M8274 that I can rebuild and install.

Good luck with the Engo. I debated about the synthetic rope but I couldn't justify the cost of it versus a new steel wire. I could have bought (3) steel lines for the price of the synthetic and I'm sure the wire I bought will work fine for years to come.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #80
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
90%+ of my wheeling is on the rocks but I haven't yet been in a situation where I had to drag my line over rocks. So far, in 7 years of synthetic rope use for primarly rock crawling, I've yet to have the need to use my rope's abrasion sleeve to protect it. It happens, but so far it hasn't happened to me. My Viking rope came with an abasion sleeve pre-installed just in case.

Hah I can't keep up with all of them either, I have to click on them myself so your knowledge on those various winches is now fresher than mine. Once I selected the 9.5xp to replace the HS-9500i that was on my stolen Jeep, I haven't been on the Warn site all that much. I sure miss that HS-9500i.
I have had my HS 9500i for over 10 years now. I have never run across another winch that I would rather have. I got mine by accident. I was on my way to get a lesser exp Warn. I was excited. I had just gotten back from a deployment bought the jeep and within a few days I was getting my winch. When I got to shop in Nashville they didn't have the winch they said they did, they only had a HS 9500i. They cut me a hell of a deal so I got the HS9500i and have never thought about replacing it.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #81
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Size-wise, I'd only go for 3/8" synthetic, 5/16" synthetic just doesn't have enough of a safety margin to suit me. 3/8" synthetic would be fine for any winch up to about the 12K capacity. Brand-wise, I'm a big fan of Viking at www.winchline.com due to knowing the two guys who own it (both are Jeepers, one I have wheeled with) and the quality of the two 3/8" Viking winch lines I have owned over the years. Pretty much everyone local I respect is running a Viking 3/8" line.

Just for grins, this Jeep is owned by Jon who is half-owner of Viking. It's an amazing Jeep built for him by Blaine Johnsond, I took the second pic of it while having the pleasure of wheeling with Jon on a trail in Johnson Valley called Sunbonnet.
Thanks Jerry.
One last question. I have a roller fairlead now do I need to swap to a Hawse or will I still be able to run the roller? I am kind of afraid or pinch points with the roller.

That is one sick Jeep!!!!

*EDIT* Nevermind the above. I see on your site that you are running a roller with your synthetic line........ should have looked there to begin with..........

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #82
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only real caveat with using a roller fairlead with synthetic rope is the rollers have to be smooth and free of any burrs from having been previously used with wire rope. If the rollers aren't perfectly smooth, smooth them with a file so they won't damage the synthetic rope. No worries about the synthetic getting caught in the corners, it won't do that any more than wire rope does.

Unread 04-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #83
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My last trip to Rausch, my buddy's Cherokee died about a mile from the parking lot. Not bad terrain to tow him on, but we had to get him up a slight hill with a couple of rock ledges sorta like stairsteps. I got up on the flat part at the top, but since we had to get him winched up onto the flat part completely (since he had no power), I needed to be back from the edge a bit. This had my steel winch line making a downward bend as it laid over the top rock ledge. I had never had to run a winch line like that before, and I wasnt sure what to expect. All I could imagine was if that had been a synth line, I would have been scraping the crap out of it. For the record, I'm on a Warn M8000 with a 100' of stock steel line. I want to go to synth line, so I guess I should be looking at 3/8, but not sure how much I can fit on the spool of an M8000.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #84
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

80' of 3/8" should be about right. I think that is the length I am running on my 9.5xp too IIRC.

Unread 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #85
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #86
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I kinked/replaced three wire ropes in about five years, my replacement 3/8" Viking synthetic was still good five years later when that Jeep was stolen two years ago.
Agree with this. Viking is what everyone around here uses (we sell it too). Couple that with the safety thimble and you get what I consider the be the best out there. I went synthetic after kinking two steel cables within a year and will never go back.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #87
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What's the deal with thimbles anyway? You have to buy the thimble and figure out how to splice it in or what? I have no experience or understanding of these things. I'm used to having a standard hook, that I can snap onto a D ring of whatever I am winching, so I guess you just put the D ring through the thimble and then put the D ring backon like normal?

Unread 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #88
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you get the winchline from Viking and order the Safety Thimble, Thor will splice it on for you... at least he did for me without asking. Otherwise it is a simple process to splice the rope back into itself using the directions that come with it. I've done it twice and it took me 15 or so minutes. It's easier than it may seem, you're not actually unraveling the rope to splice it into a loop or anything like that.

And yep, you attach a D-ring/shackle just as you described. You don't need a shackle if the Safety Thimble (invented/developed by mrblaine) is being placed over an up-facing bumper hook.

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #89
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you again Jerry.

Unread 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #90
liv2ryde

Engo 10000S mounted on a RR XHD
Easy install, Works great!
2011 Cosmos Blue Wrangler Sport w/ Factory tow package, auto, 3.73 gears & Trac-Loc, 15x8 MB Wheels Black Chaos 5 3.75" backspacing -19mm offset, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, Bestop Supertop or Factory Freedom top, full factory doors or Bestop Element tube doors with skins, mirrors, and 1/2 door soft tops
liv2ryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.