Engo E10000 Winch Review - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Engo E10000 Winch Review

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 04-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseblfrk09 View Post
Read the shootout and you will actually understand what is going on...
I've read it. Thank-you.

My winch that died was not an Engo. It was the brand new 5hp series wound winch from a company with a name that starts with an "S", and ends with a "T". You can fill in the rest.
Who knows, you may have great luck with your winch, and I hope you do.
Oops, never mind.
They have not been out long enough to have any real world, long term reliability data. The specs seem very close to my previous winch though.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #47
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
As far as the battery consumption, that doesn't concern me.
Why not Ross? We all know even at high idle, battery drain is going to happen. I watched a friend's Mile Marker fail to recover a stuck 1/2 ton during an 80ft pull through deep mud. Battery strength went down to around 12.2V IIRC. And failed to start the Jeep once he shut it off (to this day I don't know why he turned it off to begin with). Those long hard pulls made me think twice about amp draws.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #48
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even though it didn't survive...
Yup. Think about it this way. By having it break the gears out of it at 8 tons, you know it's way overbuilt for its 4.75 ton rating. The remarkable thing is the motor, even at the fastest loaded pull speed (and still the coolest as well), was still pulling at 8 tons, and strong enough to rip apart quality gearsets. Whilst it did ultimately fail at 168% of its rated duty, it makes a pretty good point and shows all its cards about how well it really is built. If nothing else, take away that it is overbuilt by an excessive margin, not by a perfectly acceptable 10 or 20%, but like all things, it will eventually fail.

The real hero of the test IMO, was the T-Max. It was rated for the same load, and stalled at the same 8 tons, but worked totally fine afterward. It was a bit slower, a bit noisier, was probably packaged by a 9 yr old, and as a newer brand, doesn't have the track record behind it that Warn does, but based soley on performance, I'd call it the winner. We don't really know if it was a fluke, or that is an accurate representation of T-Max standards, or what sort of circus might come after a breakdown. Overall though, not having owned either brand, and based only on the data in the test, I'd pick the T-Max. Only time would tell if it was a better choice though.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #49
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Why not Ross? We all know even at high idle, battery drain is going to happen. I watched a friend's Mile Marker fail to recover a stuck 1/2 ton during an 80ft pull through deep mud. Battery strength went down to around 12.2V IIRC. And failed to start the Jeep once he shut it off (to this day I don't know why he turned it off to begin with). Those long hard pulls made me think twice about amp draws.
I haven't had that problem. I also have not shut my jeep off after long pulls. Even if one pulls longer than the other maybe the increased speed would make up for it but probably not. I suspect the reason the Warn draws more power is because it pulls faster. For me I would rather have the faster pulls.

The longest pull I did was a couple hours. We used two jeeps and each had a winch so there were breaks. My buddy had a s Smitybilt so my breaks were very l o n g as I waited on him. Neither one of us turned off our jeeps. Towards the end we stopped using the Smitybilt because I could move, winch and reset faster than he could just winch.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #50
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I got a 10,000 pound one a month a.d a half ago. It arrived damaged fought with them for 3 days they decided it was just the solenoid even though I told them the winch itself seems damaged too. So another week and I get the solenoid. Now the motor tried to spin but can't cause the gears are bound up so bad that hitting the button for literally a second to try to bump it and the positive wire terminal on the motor started smoking and melting the plastic boot. I paid for this winch 5 weeks ago. It has yet to work. Now I have to call and probably fight them for another week and then they will probably want me to take it apart again for something that won't fix it eithier. So a month and a half with a broken winch and counting. Glad yours worked though. Their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with ever.
a month and a half ago?? you got it 2 weeks ago. this guy lies so much.
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #51
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
You better recheck your dates. You might want to spend 5 minutes on Google to she how many reviews match mine. Now as I have told you before don't be a keyboard cowboy. Come say it to my face instead of hiding behind your keyboard. It is hilarious though that your butt hurt over something that doesn't involve you. You have been following me around all day its said. Get on with your life. You want to order from them order from them no skin off my back. If it goes good great for you if it doesn't remember what you read. A t minute Google search will validate everything I said.
you are right, i will drive to maryland and say it to your face
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #52
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I haven't had that problem. I also have not shut my jeep off after long pulls. Even if one pulls longer than the other maybe the increased speed would make up for it but probably not. I suspect the reason the Warn draws more power is because it pulls faster. For me I would rather have the faster pulls.

The longest pull I did was a couple hours. We used two jeeps and each had a winch so there were breaks. My buddy had a s Smitybilt so my breaks were very l o n g as I waited on him. Neither one of us turned off our jeeps. Towards the end we stopped using the Smitybilt because I could move, winch and reset faster than he could just winch.
I've had to winch my TJ off the trail three times when I couldn't start the engine before starting to winch myself. Once when the steering box blew its seal while I was doing Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley (below pic) and twice more from bad ignition coils. All three times involved winching my TJ over rocks to get it off the trail so others could pass me during my repairs. With just one battery in my TJ, I was able to start the engine after making repairs without needing a jumpstart. That's not to say you can do long hard pulls without the engine running but just doing a normal Jeep pull isn't necessarily going to drain the battery either.

On some of the arguments above from those who claim they want their winch to be able to be pull more than their winch is rated for, be aware that the typical 5/16" wire rope only has a 9.8K minimum breaking strength and it can and will break at loads under 10K lbs. Milemarker's old Milemarker vs. Warn video showed that quite well. Even 3/8" wire rope can and does break at loads under 15K lbs, it's minimum breaking strength is only 14.4K lbs.

Cool video on that at

Rope specs at http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=197

The below pic is cool in that a friend was photographing my TJ after a climb up Sledgehammer when the steering box blew its seal, you can see it puking its power steering fluid. Which is why I couldn't start the Jeep for the winching episode, that would have forced the PS pump to run dry.
steeringboxspraying.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #53
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I've had to winch my TJ off the trail three times when I couldn't start the engine before starting to winch myself. Once when the steering box blew its seal while I was doing Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley (below pic) and twice more from bad ignition coils. All three times involved winching my TJ over rocks to get it off the trail so others could pass me during my repairs. With just one battery in my TJ, I was able to start the engine after making repairs without needing a jumpstart. That's not to say you can do long hard pulls without the engine running but just doing a normal Jeep pull isn't necessarily going to drain the battery either.

On some of the arguments above from those who claim they want their winch to be able to be pull more than their winch is rated for, be aware that the typical 5/16" wire rope only has a 9.8K minimum breaking strength and it can and will break at loads under 10K lbs. Milemarker's old Milemarker vs. Warn video showed that quite well. Even 3/8" wire rope can and does break at loads under 15K lbs, it's minimum breaking strength is only 14.4K lbs.

Cool video on that at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJ3Q...dYzUrnig2TI53o

Rope specs at http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=197

The below pic is cool in that a friend was photographing my TJ after a climb up Sledgehammer when the steering box blew its seal, you can see it puking its power steering fluid. Which is why I couldn't start the Jeep for the winching episode, that would have forced the PS pump to run dry.
How did you end up getting the steering box fixed? I can't imagine that's a common thing for folks to carry spares of lol.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
How did you end up getting the steering box fixed? I can't imagine that's a common thing for folks to carry spares of lol.
No kidding. I was shocked when Blaine Johnson sent his wife Kat back down Sledgehammer and she came back 45 minutes later with a bagged and tagged rebuilt Tommy Lee steering box to match what I had. That is why we call Blaine's collection of spare parts 'The Magic Parts Box' since it always seems to have whatever is needed. We all carry lots of spare parts though, those trails require them. That is fellow JF moderator Joe Dillard giving me a much needed hand and moral support.
joe-jerryrepairingsteering9.jpg   steeringboxonsand90k.jpg  

Unread 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #55
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post

The funny thing is that you started the argument that the Warn only broke after pulling 16.5k lbs. So you are saying that Warn is better because it pulled more before exploding, but I am the stupid one for claiming that I want a winch that doesn't explode if stalled out? What exactly happened to this quote Jerry?

"On some of the silly arguments above from those who claim they want their 9-10k winch to be able to pull 12,000 lbs. without breaking should be aware..."

Why did you edit this?
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #56
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The funny thing is that you started the argument that the Warn only broke after pulling 16.5k lbs. So you are saying that Warn is better because it pulled more before exploding, but I am the stupid one for claiming that I want a winch that doesn't explode if stalled out? What exactly happened to this quote Jerry?

"On some of the silly arguments above from those who claim they want their 9-10k winch to be able to pull 12,000 lbs. without breaking should be aware..."

Why did you edit this?
I've said what I wanted to say, I'm don't feel the need to waste any more time with you since all you like to do is spin things to what suits you... which is why I already pegged you as The Spin Doctor earlier... a title I've never before bestowed anyone. There are some people worth the time and trouble of discussing things with, others just aren't.

Unread 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #57
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am aware of all the safety issues that go along with winching, and I would never overload my winch. Rather my argument was that if my winch should be overloaded I would like that it worked afterwards.
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #58
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am aware of all the safety issues that go along with winching, and I would never overload my winch. Rather my argument was that if my winch should be overloaded I would like that it worked afterwards.
With this, I'm done with you... should you ever have the need to load a winch to 16,500 lbs that would break the Warn 9.5xp, be my guest. Not to mention your winch cable would snap before that point.

Sayonara, go practice your spin techniques with someone else.

Unread 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #59
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just take things for what I read. I just hate people who think that they are superior because they have more money and can buy an over priced winch. These type of people will never give credit where it is due because if you don't have the "best" then you aren't worth talking too. I started this thread to give honest feedback about a product that I purchased. Yes it may not be the brand that you recommend because it doesn't have a name. I am trying to give it a name. So why do you have to come in and tell me that what I bought is inferior? In my opinion, if you aren't here to ask questions about the product, or share your experiences with this product, then you shouldn't even be posting here.
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #60
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

It is people like you that make this forum obnoxious to even post in. Yes you are full of very useful knowledge, and this is a place to share that knowledge. Yes you think yours is best, but do you have experience with an Engo? Not many people do, and I am trying to alleviate some of the false beliefs that a Warn is your only option if you want a good winch. There are people like me that can't afford $1200 for a winch but still enjoy wheeling. These people need a good reliable winch just as well as you do. They would like info on this product, not someone saying it sucks because it isn't a Warn. So on that note why don't you go post somewhere else where your knowledge and input is actually needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.