Engo E10000 Winch Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Engo E10000 Winch Review

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

Engo E10000 Winch Review

After being told that my Quadratec Q9000 was going to be backordered for more than a month I cancelled my order with Quadratec and decided to go with Engo. When I called Chris at Jeepaddons.com, he was out of Engo E9000s for about a month also. He did however have the E10000 for $309. I figured I would spend the extra $20 for the E10000. He also offered me the wireless controller for another $20 but I declined for the time being (I will most likely order it at a later date). I placed my order last Monday, and received it today after the long trip it took from Oregon. The shipping weight was 88lbs. After the long walk from my campus mailroom to my Jeep I unboxed it and this is what I found. Sorry for the large pictures, I don't know how to make them smaller.

The box was pretty beat up which kind of concerned me.
2012-03-20_09-35-41_923.jpg

After tearing into it, everything seemed to be ok
2012-03-20_09-39-39_511.jpg
It came with a wireless remote, but I assume there is an antenna needed to make the wireless controller work.
2012-03-20_09-39-53_888.jpg

2012-03-20_09-44-52_743.jpg

2012-03-20_12-03-29_511.jpg

The install took about an hour, but I had to remove my whole bumper to get to some of my mounting holes.
2012-03-20_12-03-36_996.jpg

I have spooled it twice, once because it loosened up when I cut the zip tie holding the line in place for shipping, and the second time to get it nice and tight. The second time I spooled it by pulling my girlfriend's Yaris across the parking lot with the the emergency brake on. It was pretty quiet while running. It stayed pretty cool despite the long pull I put on it.

My intial reactions are that it seems to be very well built. The powder coating seems to be very good. I slipped with a knife a couple times during installation and knicked it with no ill effects to the finish. The selenoid box seemed to be sealed pretty well, but I will probably add some silicone where it is needed for the added protection.

I am very pleased with my purchase at the moment. Only time will tell how it holds up. I am nothing more than a weekend warrior who will use it probably once or twice a weekend. during the summer, and a few times in the winter to pull my dad's Aerostar out of the ditch (he has very bad luck with this kind of thing). Once I get a couple of good winches on it, I will post the results.

bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
jayconderman

309$ good deal, sure you won't have any problems with it. Just another version of mile marker/harbor freight models. I have had good luck with them
jayconderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm sorry to hear that man. Have you tried to call chris and see what he has to say?
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Incidents like above are why I never recommend any Chinese made winch.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Jerry, it's not the winches fault the customer service dept will not ship him a serviceable winch.
If it fails out on the trail the first time out then it's the winches fault.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
So then you don't recommend Warn? And I always thought you were a fan of warn. Alot of their parts are from China and Iirc some parts are assembled there. To be able to say made in U.S.A. only 51% needs to be assembled here in the u.s. Engo is a good winch. I was unlucky and got a lemon for a winch it happens with warn sometimes I am sure. I will give Warn credit as they would have made it right immediately instead of fighting with people but as much as they charge for a winch they can afford it. Does Warn make a good winch? Yes but I feel they are held way higher than they should be. There are some new winch companies out there its gonna be awhile before they are proven because they are new but I am willing to bet atleast one of them have quality comparable to Warn. Don't get me wrong I am not getting down on Warn but I am not swinging from their sac eithier. If everybody felt that way Warn would be the only manufacturer. You think they are expensive now If they had a monopoly what they charge now would have nothing on what they would be charging. I am gonna go out on a limb here and say there are other winches out there that quality wise are as good as Warn. I like the Engo winch itself. It's the customer service that I have issue with. I will again give Warn credit there. Their customer service is second to none but again for what they charge it better be. I like many others cannot afford a Warn so I will go with something I can afford and will revisit it and maybe replace it when I have the money if the one I have is giving me problems. Yes I am fighting with customer service to get a damaged winch fixed but once its done I am sure I will get many years of service out of it. Also the reason its not working has nothing to do with where it was made. The box was tore up and a whole punched through the solenoid box. That means it was mishandled and a Warn would have the same issued if it was dropped multiple times and god knows what else. I always like to learn and will listen to anything someone's got to say about something. If it makes sense I will research it further. If it makes no sense it goes in one ear and out the other. It makes no sense to me why there are so many warn annoys. Most not all but most witches will last and work a long time with proper maintenance. Warn owners are probably a lot better about maintenance because they pay so much more for it.

Ok I got my flame suit on for when the warn annoys get all up in a tissues because I refuse to swing from Warns nuts.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
So then you don't recommend Warn? And I always thought you were a fan of warn. Alot of their parts are from China and Iirc some parts are assembled there.
The only part in a Jeep size Warn winch that comes from China is the remote control, the winch itself is manufactured in Oregon. None of the Warn Jeep size winches are manufactured anywhere but in Oregon. The electric motor comes from Bosch but that's the only significant part not manufactured in Oregon.

Warn's smallest winches made for use on ATVs are made in China but all of the Warn Jeep size (6,000 lbs. and up) winches we use are completely manufactured in Oregon. Pirate 4x4 forum put out a 3-part video of their tour of Warn's manufacturing facilities and if you had ever seen it, you wouldn't be trying to claim the Chinese connection.

You are correct that Warn isn't the only manufacturer of quality winches suitable for use on our Jeeps, Ramsey is another U.S. manufacturer of high quality winches and Superwinch's X9 and S9000 winches (none of their other winches though) are U.S. made high quality made winches as well. I'm happy with any of those. I'll pass on ANY Chinese made winch. And not solely for quality reasons. The other reasons include our U.S. economy and keeping American manufacturing healthy. China is laughing all the way to the bank with our negative balance of payments between us and China. Yep, keep on buying those 100% Chinese made winches for our Jeeps, it's helping the Chinese economy.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You are correct that Warn isn't the only manufacturer of quality winches suitable for use on our Jeeps, Ramsey is another U.S. manufacturer of high quality winches and Superwinch's X9 and S9000 winches (none of their other winches though) are U.S. made high quality made winches as well. I'm happy with any of those. I'll pass on ANY Chinese made winch. And not solely for quality reasons. The other reasons include our U.S. economy and keeping American manufacturing healthy. China is laughing all the way to the bank with our negative balance of payments between us and China. Yep, keep on buying those 100% Chinese made winches for our Jeeps, it's helping the Chinese economy.
It's a global ecomomy, JB. Superwinch is a US company. While not a publicly held, they're just as interested in profit as any company responsible to their stock holders. If products can be made with the same QC elsewhere as you would expect in a domestic assembly line, then does the product suffer? I don't think where something is made dictates it's quality. The choice of material and the demands on how it's put together do.

On a personal note. I'd like to see our US companies be able to survive while manufacturing at home. I'm not smart enough to know the answers that would bring them home.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

10 years from now if your China made winch needs to be rebuilt what are you going to do?
Well lets see, I paid $300 for the winch, the parts for the rebuild cost $250. (if you can even get them)
Heck I can buy another winch for $50 more.
This is the end result folks and why buying products that are made overseas should be avoided.
These products are made to use untill they fail.
They are too cheap to rebuild, so they go in the garbage.
Hey we are a throw away society right?
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

My winch is better than your winch. Oh yeah well my winch farts in your winches general direction.

I am glad people are doing winch reviews. Yes Id love a warn, cant afford one so i took my coupon to harbor freight and didnt wait a moment for shipping. I used it more in 3 months than most use em in 3 years. I must have rescued 20 or more poeple on day. But one day while pullin a suburban out and turning the suburban around, the winch broke. Not really its fault so much as my spotters and the idiot suburban that required my winch to make up for incompetence. The cable piled on one side of the drum and eventually broke a cross bar on the winch(would not have happened with a 8274). One of these days i'll attempt to repair it.

Main point is I like reading reviews of different options out there. Even if warns are the best they are toys compared to serious industrial pto style winches.

P.S I used 2 cjs and a suburban all tied together to free two half ton chevys today. Who needs a winch when you have good folks and alot(alot) of straps.
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think the biggest problem here is budget. I've had enough back and forths with JB about Chinese stuff, and honestly, there's never anything productive out of it. To me, $300 is not a lot of money. I drop $500 or $600 on guns (another hobby of mine) all the time, so in my head, if I have to buy a $300 winch every 4 or 5 years... it's not that big of a deal. The further logic is this... I can buy 4 of those cheapies over a period of 15-20yrs, and be exactly where I would be with an expensive winch off that bat, assuming that it wouldn't need to be rebuilt or grease packed during that time.

Where JB and I agree though, is Chinese winches really do suck at life. They are slow, loud,tolerances are a mile wide, quality and reliability are questionable at best, parts are stupid hard to find, and often when you call a tech support line, and select English (because you need to), you often get someone who can't speak English making the experience that much more frustrating. The shipping game is a circus, and then there's the whole supporting the Chinese economy mess. Whilst I have my own opinions on what ultimately drives an economy, the fact is this: You buy a product with US funds, that over a series of transactions, ends up in China.

Bottom line: You will get what you pay for. Going into the wild blue yonder with a Chinese made winch verses a domestically made winch, is sort of like being stranded in the wilderness with a Hi-Point verses a Glock... The Glock is a signifcant investment, but piece of mind in a life or death situation that it will fire in any condition you could be in, is totally worth the $400 price gap. Some people feel the same way about winches, especially if they go into some really remote areas. The piece of mind that the winch will pull no matter what, is totally worth the $500-$1000 price gap.

Just to be fair, I bought my first ever winch back in 2009. It's a HF 10,000. When I bought it, my budget was much lower than it is now, and it was a huge part of my purchase. It's never been covered, it's been submereged several times, covered in dirt, mud, snow, soap, you name it. It still works just fine though, which as it turns out, is pretty lucky considering my abuse. When it dies, I won't be replacing it with another cheap winch though, I'll be dumping some money into a much higher quality unit, mainly because to a Jeep enthusiast, it increases the resale value in the event I try to sell it.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well so much for it not becoming a pissing match. Now all the Warn annoys are here may as well close the thread.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Well so much for it not becoming a pissing match. Now all the Warn annoys are here may as well close the thread.
I don't see this at all. No one has said anything about Warn being the be all end all in this thread. I think the Warn advocates are just as tired of saying it as the non-Warn advocates are tired of hearing it.

I actually was just looking through an old winch test in FW from July '11, where it was reported that when submereged the Warn 9.5xp polluted the water with a bronze substance. They didn't talk about what it was, or if it was an isolated incident.

Jerry: Ever heard of that or have any idea what that may have been? Some kind of grease?
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff

I don't see this at all. No one has said anything about Warn being the be all end all in this thread. I think the Warn advocates are just as tired of saying it as the non-Warn advocates are tired of hearing it.

I actually was just looking through an old winch test in FW from July '11, where it was reported that when submereged the Warn 9.5xp polluted the water with a bronze substance. They didn't talk about what it was, or if it was an isolated incident.

Jerry: Ever heard of that or have any idea what that may have been? Some kind of grease?
They haven't said it yet but have implied it. Give it a few more post and it'll be brutally obvious. It started with the finesse made comment. Just cause something is made in China doesn't make it junk for starters. Secondly my winch issue has nothing to do with where its made it has to do with customer service as it arrived broke. That's what started all this. It would be easier if everyone said you use yours I will use mine. They will all fail sooner or later period. If they didn't warn would not need to sell rebuild kits.

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff

They haven't said it yet but have implied it. Give it a few more post and it'll be brutally obvious. It started with the finesse made comment. Just cause something is made in China doesn't make it junk for starters. Secondly my winch issue has nothing to do with where its made it has to do with customer service as it arrived broke. That's what started all this. It would be easier if everyone said you use yours I will use mine. They will all fail sooner or later period. If they didn't warn would not need to sell rebuild kits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.