Engo 9000s winch install and first impression. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Engo 9000s winch install and first impression.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Engo 9000s winch install and first impression.

First these top bolts need to be unbolted. I left one of them in on the drivers side, but took both of them out on the passenger side.

Then I unbolted these lower bolts. there is only one on each side and I removed both of them.

Then I swung the bumper and winch plate outwards so that I could easily get to the underside to install the bolts that will hold the winch in place.

These slots in the winch are designed to hold square shaped nuts.

These special nuts slide into place in the previously mentioned slots.

This bolt on the botom of the winch motor is for the ground wire... this is the first stupid thing I came across with this winch design... I think it's stupid because there is no way to connect or disconnect this wire after the winch has been bolted into place. I would've already had the winch bolted to the bumper but I saw this bolt and decided to look at the instructions and see what it was for, otherwise I would've had to unbolt the winch later on to install the ground wire... This is the perfect example of an egg head engineer sitting at a computer some where drawing up designs when he doesn't have any real world experience actually putting things together...

And then there is this little wire... it also gets hooked up to the bolt underneath the winch motor, which is only accessable when the winch isn't mounted... so I figured I'd take it loose here, and then reattach it to the solenoid control box later on... bad idea... as soon as I unscrewed the screw I heard something fall inside the box and rattle around... ghey....

Here are both of the ground wires attached to the motor:

The square nuts installed in their slots:

The winch mounted to the bumper and winch plate:

This is how the hawse fairlead attaches:

Installed:

The bumper and winch plate bolted back in place:

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the winch hook, and attached it to a 3/4" shackle:

Then I installed the solenoid control box... and came across a pretty stupid problem... The mounting brackets for the solenoid control box are pressing into the winch line, and that's with the line nice and spooled how it comes from the factory... it could only get worse when actually used in the field and it doesn't spool up perfectly like it came... this is a huge oversight in my opinion! Unless I somehow wound up with an extra 50 ft of line this shouldn't be like this:

After installing the solenoid box, I had to take the cover off to fix the wire that I unscrewed earlier:

This little nut is what came loose inside:

It held a ground wire on the inside of the case:

In my eyes that's a very crappy design... IMO if there is a fastener on the outside of something that can be undone, then what ever it attaches to should remain in place once said fastener is loosened... there shouldn't be parts that fall off inside if a screw comes loose... What if I wasn't the one that loosened said screw, but it just shook loose while I was wheeling? What if the nut rattled around and shorted something out, or what if the loose wire inside did? This is just the beginning.. I found even more once the hood was up so to speak...
This Screw holding one of the solenoids down, is screwed into a nut that has come completely detached from the plastic it used to be seated into:

This is the ONLY screw holding both of the solenoids in place in the control box... and it's loose allowing everything inside to slop around:

The other solenoid doesn't have any screws at all holding it in place, and the bracket the screws would be in doesn't even line up with the nutserts in the plastic:

These are the tabs that were digging into the winch line:

I marked where they needed to be to hold the solenoid control box in place, but still be out of the way of the winch line, then I took a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel and cut about an inch off. You can see in this pic the line where the brackets used to be digging into the winch line:

Now it's finally time to attach all of the power cables:

And the solenoid pack is installed using these Philips screws in the back:

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's how I routed the wires through the grill:

Then I ran them over towards the passenger side, and then into the engine compartment in a factory provided hole underneath the headlight:

Here are the cables attached to the battery:

My wiring run... it's really simple on my Jeep because I don't have all of the factory stuff to go around:

The final product:

I plugged the included winch control cord into the winch and triggered it out and then in and it worked correctly both ways.

Final thoughts:

1. It was pretty cheap for what it is price wise.
2. It has some pretty quirky installation issues.
3. I needed to modify it just to make sure it didn't malufnction when I used it... not everyone would've noticed the control box digging into the winch line.
4. The build quality of the electrical side of this winch is sub par... mechanically and visually seem to be ok.
It didn't take me long to make some simple mods to it, but it shouldn't have needed any mods to start with. As long as it works well on the trails I think I can forgive the wierd wiring and questionable control box wiring... but would I recommend it to anyone at this time? Absolutely not... Smittybilt, Quadratec, and several other brands make similar winches in a similar price point, and even though they're looked down on by some, they do make products that perform well for the price they cost. The Engo winch was supposed to be the bang for the buck champion though, so I'll see how well it does in the wild and I'll update this thread sometime in the future with what I find.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't say that I would mount that solenoid there personally. That plastic box is far from water tight and that mounting bracket looks like it was bought at the dollar store and matched up to a recipe card box.

Hope it works out for you anyway....I know there was a quite a few people here calling out accolades from information they found on the web on that Engo and probably part of the reason you got it.

I did the same thing when I got my Superwinch epi9.0 and they were pretty new to the scene...got to say personally I think that it is the best bang for the buck as far as winches. It has performed like a top notch Warn but was not as much coin.

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to call it like you see it as compared to trying to justify something you bought as great because you bought it.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Can't say that I would mount that solenoid there personally. That plastic box is far from water tight and that mounting bracket looks like it was bought at the dollar store and matched up to a recipe card box.

Hope it works out for you anyway....I know there was a quite a few people here calling out accolades from information they found on the web on that Engo and probably part of the reason you got it.

I did the same thing when I got my Superwinch epi9.0 and they were pretty new to the scene...got to say personally I think that it is the best bang for the buck as far as winches. It has performed like a top notch Warn but was not as much coin.

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to call it like you see it as compared to trying to justify something you bought as great because you bought it.
I'm going to leave the solenoid box mounted where it is supposed to be mounted according to the instructions for now. Once the warranty on the winch has expired I'll think about modifying the mounting to under the hood somewhere. I decided on the Engo from an article that 4 wheeler magazine did where the Engo appeared to do really well in their tests. I used to have a Milemarker SI12000 12k winch that I used to run on my old F350, but it was really heavy, and way overkill for a Jeep, plus I wanted to switch over to synthetic line. The old winch plus cable was over 100lbs, this new winch with synthetic line is only 60lbs. Hopefully it does what I need it to do out on the trails!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates on the review of the winch?
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo_dave View Post
any updates on the review of the winch?
x2!
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
Any updates on the review of the winch?
Yeah, I loved it so much I bought a second one for one of my other Jeeps and actually removed a Ramsey winch to install the Engo and sold the Ramsey. I never had any kind of failure, and it worked well after getting soaked in water, ran through the mud, wheeled in snow storms, etc. I ended up selling the Jeep it is on so it's gone on to a new owner now, but I still give it two thumbs up!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
geode
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So, how did you tighten the aluminum fairlead. The bolt head pretty much fills the entire hole it's recessed into so you can't fit a socket or wrench on it.
geode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So, how did you tighten the aluminum fairlead. The bolt head pretty much fills the entire hole it's recessed into so you can't fit a socket or wrench on it.
Use a large flat head screwdriver and put a little sideways pressure on the bolt head to prevent it from spinning and tighten the nut down on the other side with a wrench. Once the nut has compressed the lock washer and is starting to try to spin the whole bolt you have it tight enough that it won't back loose on you.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
geode
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's kinda what I was thinking. Loctite or no... Thanks.
geode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking. Loctite or no... Thanks.
I didn't use Loctite, I just used to lock washers. Being as how it's almost impossible to get a socket on that bolt, and even if you did by using a super thin wall socket, imagine trying to break it free if it was locktighted?

2006 LJ SOLD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.