Easy to install Kc HiLites? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Easy to install Kc HiLites?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Easy to install Kc HiLites?

I'm thinking about getting 2 Kc 100 watt HiLites but I was wondering how hard they are to install. quadratec says they are easy, but I don't know much about electronics or wiring or any of that stuff. Do they come pre-wired or have instructions? I was planning on mounting them on my windshield

KC HiLiTES 6" Round SlimLite Series Driving 100W Super White Halogen

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
I'm thinking about getting 2 Kc 100 watt HiLites but I was wondering how hard they are to install. quadratec says they are easy, but I don't know much about electronics or wiring or any of that stuff. Do they come pre-wired or have instructions? I was planning on mounting them on my windshield

KC HiLiTES 6" Round SlimLite Series Driving 100W Super White Halogen

I put KC SlimLights in my '06, on the stock front bumper. No problem, all the wiring came with the kit from Q'tec. Probably less than an hour. Ran the switch to the center of the dash, and pulling the dash and getting the switch installed took the longest.

Good project for a summer afternoon. I shouldn't think you'd have many problems.

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Does it have instructions and everything for like installing the switch and stuff? I have tons of tools in my garage, but without my dad here I don't know much about anything mechanical or electrical.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
KennyTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I put KC Highlighters on my bumper and they were a snap. KC also uses a cool switch that is better quatity than most I've seen.

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Does it have instructions and everything for like installing the switch and stuff? I have tons of tools in my garage, but without my dad here I don't know much about anything mechanical or electrical.

Instructions for wiring came with my kit, and were easy to follow.

No instructions on how to mount the switch in the Jeep, of course - they can't possibly outline everyplace that you could mount a switch in a T.J.

You can read up on it -

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical.asp

and

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrica...6/switch-1.htm

and

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrica...ogswitch-1.htm

I figure the two hard parts for you -

1. Running the wires through the cowling to the inside of the cab; look in the electrical forum here and you'll see several threads if you search on "cowl". Here's one with pics:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/windshield-mounted-hellas-524557/

2. Installing the switch. You'll have to decide where to mount it. Getting the dash apart is really easy, Rocky529 posted this in another thread:

"There is a long piece that runs along the length of the dashboard (has the defroster grill as part of it). Gently pry that up, and take it out. Next, you will see 2 screws holding on the radio/HVAC bezel. Unscrew those. That bezel also pops out...Btw, the smoker's package on '03+ TJs consist of an ashtray that sits in one of the cupholders, not part of the bezel anymore."

It's a fairly simple installation - really not electrical experience is needed with the instructions.

If you plan to wire to the factory fog lamp switch instead of the Qtech switch, search the electrical forum and you'll find some helpful hints there.

I'm attaching a small photo of my switch panel. Check my gallery for a better photo.

HTH

switchpanel007_612x408.jpg

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.” - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

Unread 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

FmrVette Hey thanks for all your help. I have a yj, so would it be much different for getting the wires through the cowl and dash fairly similar? And could you resize that pic, its super small.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
FmrVette Hey thanks for all your help. I have a yj, so would it be much different for getting the wires through the cowl and dash fairly similar? And could you resize that pic, its super small.
Wow, everything I've been able to find is for the TJ.

Here's a site you might like for YJ reading:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/mods.html

but nothing on how to run the wiring thru the cowl of a YJ.

Maybe post over in the YJ tech forum and ask?

I'd have to assume it wouldn't be all that much different; I had a 95 YJ but never ran electrical through the cowl. The dash, of course, would be different - but still shouldn't be much of a trudge. Jeeps are really pretty basic vehicles.

On the pic, I can upload a bigger one when I get access to my files (they're on a computer I don't have with me right now) but you can get a good look if you go to my gallery and click on the photo - it will enlarge for a better view.

Unread 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrVette View Post
On the pic, I can upload a bigger one when I get access to my files...
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.

Pics:
resized-switch-panel.jpg   switch-panel-007_734x490.jpg  

Unread 04-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that looks really good. Im going to put off on the lights for now, this weekend im getting a new front bumper, and then 2 weeks after that (when I get paid) im probably getting my cb

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
Unread 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
TooHiCat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I just bought some new rocker switches to put into the dash of my 06 tj. Where are the bolts located that need to be removed to pull of the center dash console?
TooHiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
gmp211
2002 WJ 

I was worried about installing mine too. But the harness comes complete and all you have to do is connect the fuses and relays (easy), connect the battery, ( super easy) and then run the wires (hardest part, I did it 3 times until I found a way I liked), and mount switch. (idiot proof).

KC did a good job on their kits, I must say.
Unread 09-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
reesemoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You guys like the slim lights or somthing else?

www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-roxy-860189/
reesemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
1988YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nahh man this should be easy for you. The brackets for the windshield dont require any drilling so you just need a allen wrentch. And the wiring part is easy too. I have 4 on my roof and i just ran it down the door and threw the fire wall and hooked it directly to the batterie. You should not have any problems on this.
1988YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.