Dynomax Cat Back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Dynomax Cat Back

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 10-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dynomax Cat Back

Plan on buying this soon, was wondering if there is any gain in power or fuel economy? Heard some people say yes, some people say no, etc.

I know it sounds good and is cheap.

befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

all the exhaust will do for you is make it sound better. I RARELY ever here of increases fuel economy, but maybe a tiny bit of power gain (not enough to notice)

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

None that you are likely to notice, with any exhaust really.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
alecmcmahon

it sounds nice, i went with the dynomax cat back last year... I ripped the tail pipe off in the woods, then later rippped then the muffler broke off at the welds, roadside treasure somewhere. now im running a 25 dollar muffler i found at a 4wd shop, sounds the same if not better.
Unread 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really theres no real gain in horsepower? I dont get that, how come? I mean other cat backs on other vehicles give you a gain in horse power.
Unread 10-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
alecmcmahon

Why do you think putting a different muffler on would give you a horse power boost?
Unread 10-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
Why do you think putting a different muffler on would give you a horse power boost?
Excuse me, never really thought about it. Thought it was more free flowing then stock, plus the diameter was larger also.

Hm, well was under the impression that cat backs give you a gain in horsepower. Then how do you gain horsepower from the 4.0, doesnt it basically have headers now.. and upgrading from 2.5'' to 3'' will cause a loss in torque correct.

School me.
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

im pretty sure increasing the diameter can mess with the backpressure and decrease the torque. There really isnt any big way to increase horsepower from what I've heard excepts getting an LS1 engine swap

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The head in the 4.0L is so restrictive, that even opening up the sir ways doesn't yield much gain... mostly because the camshaft duration is so short. These things are out of breath at 5000rpm... if you could get a .500/.500 with 242 dur @.050, im sure it would breath pretty heavy.

I've removed the air box and intake tube and run the engine hard under load with just the throttle body and let me tell you, it wants to breath hard, it really does. I've been messing with engines for going on 17yrs now and I can hear a work horse trying to come out of its shell. If there was a 200cfm head available, I bet 300hp would be cake with this hoss.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by befumo View Post
Excuse me, never really thought about it. Thought it was more free flowing then stock, plus the diameter was larger also.

Hm, well was under the impression that cat backs give you a gain in horsepower. Then how do you gain horsepower from the 4.0, doesnt it basically have headers now.. and upgrading from 2.5'' to 3'' will cause a loss in torque correct.

School me.
Not a problem, if your looking for more power & you have bigger tires, IMO the most effective way is to re-gear.
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nah just have 30 inch tires and 3.73s with automatic. Just want a little more power, nothing major.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.