Driving around the trails in 4 Low. How long is too long? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Driving around the trails in 4 Low. How long is too long?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
televisionary

Driving around the trails in 4 Low. How long is too long?

I tend to keep it in 4 low as soon as my tires get off pavement. I hit long stretches of dirt roads in between climbs/creek crossings and the like. I just hate having to stop before the hairy stuff to put it in 4 low. Will I cause any damage doing this for up to 3 hours a trip?

televisionary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
paulp575
2007 JK Wrangler 

Re: Driving around the trails in 4 Low. How long is too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by televisionary
I tend to keep it in 4 low as soon as my tires get off pavement. I hit long stretches of dirt roads in between climbs/creek crossings and the like. I just hate having to stop before the hairy stuff to put it in 4 low. Will I cause any damage doing this for up to 3 hours a trip?
My experience has been that as long as your tires have some slippage, it should not matter.

I have had previous 4x4s in 4Hi for long periods of time as long as the surface I was driving on was not solid enought to eliminate any slippage.
I personally would not keep it in 4Hi any longer than necessary, just to be safe!
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
AZG23

its sucks alot more gas than if you just use 2wd for the easy stuff..

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

with that 4:1 low range, i'd put it back into 4H for the easy stuff.

but no, its not going to hurt anything, you''ll just have sky high rpms

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by televisionary
Will I cause any damage doing this for up to 3 hours a trip?
It's just gears. Your question is not really different that "Is it bad to stay in 2nd gear a long time?" I've been in 4lo for a whole day of off-roading, even leaving it there in 4lo and 5th at 3500 rpm on more open stretches, with no problems.
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Time itself is not a factor but you do not want to run high RPMs or higher gears (3rd or higher) for extended periods of time.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
BradG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer
Time itself is not a factor but you do not want to run high RPMs or higher gears (3rd or higher) for extended periods of time.
What's wrong with using a higher gear while in 4LO? Too much torque for the tranny?
BradG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
paulp575
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG
What's wrong with using a higher gear while in 4LO? Too much torque for the tranny?
You got it
=====================
Spokane WA
=========
Member of:
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB): http://www.nitrailblazers.org/
Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance: http://www.wohva.org
EA WA ATV Association: http://www.ewatv.org/
paulp575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
AZG23

seems lazy to me to not wanna shift outta 4 lo...while it can be beneficial to run 3rd gear lo...its not meant to be used for cruising..thats what 2wd or if needed 4 hi is for

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
peteyg

My Jeep has spent whole weeks in 4-lo. Doesn't hurt anything. If you have the Tera-Low 4:1 kit, then you cannot run above 2500 RPM in 3rd, and you can't use 4th or 5th at all. The planetaries in the 4:1 kit can't take it.
peteyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can, I just don't like running my RPM's up that high. It just doesn't feel right.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
AZG23

and sux down MORE gas....Id rather conserve what I can when out in the middle of nowhere.

Unread 02-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG
paul's wrong. The trans has no clue what happens to the torque after it exist it's output shaft (t-case input).
Unread 02-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
paul's wrong. The trans has no clue what happens to the torque after it exist it's output shaft (t-case input).
Uh yeah it does, why do you think your engine RPMs increase on acceleration. Think about what you said and post again.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ
Uh yeah it does, why do you think your engine RPMs increase on acceleration. Think about what you said and post again.
Ok, this is the post again. The RPMs increase because you push the right pedal. If you really mean, "Why do they increase so fast?", it's because in a low gear setup, including the t-case in Lo, the motor does not have to move the 3-4k mass of truck as far. The motor has a torque curve spec that is unchanged by what is behind it (max MOTOR torque will not change with gear selection). The torque value does indeed get multiplied by any gear change device further downstream of the motor, but each of those only deals with the torque it is handed from 'above'. I stand by my assessment. If you still stand by yours, thats fine too. I think the others reading all this have enough of our respective points to decide for themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.