drilling lexan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > drilling lexan?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
mYJ

drilling lexan?

I installed a lexan scoop on the cowl vent a couple of weeks ago. It came with only double (not so) stick tape. Sooner or later it will come flying off so I want to mount it with screws. Anything special I need to know before I take the drill to it?

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lexan drills like plexiglass, it's not tricky to drill. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drill a small pilot hole first. But for that kind of add-on, I think I'd rather keep an eye on the double-sided tape and replace it on a semi-regular basis rather than drill into the cowl so sheet metal screws could be screwed into it. You can drill holes in a lot of areas on a Jeep for functional offroad items but the cowl would not be an area that I would drill into for a lexan HVAC scoop. You may find later that things like lexan hood scoops won't appeal to you as much as it does now.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
mYJ

Thanks on the drilling tip and good point on the drilling through the cowl Thing is you never notice that slight rounding of the body until trying to tape something thats flat down onto it. I think I'll run some clips out from under the cowl vent screws and attach there.

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2004, 11:26 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try using a heat gun on the vent to form it so it better matches the curve on the cowl. Just make sure not to use the heat gun's highest heat setting, it'll probably start melting it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
Unlimited

Use water to keep the bit and material cool, and make sure the piece is secured very good so it does not try to spin when the bit breaks through the material.
Patience is the key or you will crack the piece from the hole to the edge of the scoop.
Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Hoxviii

Before you drill it put a piece of masking tape on both sides, it's less likely to crack like that. Also, is it going to be clear or painted? If it's gonna be clear, heat the screws before you install them. it'll melt the lexan as it goes in and will get rid of that "white" look of teh screw hole.

Justin

Remember, anywhere a car can go a 4x can go, only slower and more deliberately. The ONLY advantage of a 4x is to be able to go where the car can't.
Hoxviii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.