Door handle stuck and won't open. Need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Door handle stuck and won't open. Need help!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
SexySE

Door handle stuck and won't open. Need help!

I've got a set of full steel doors on my YJ and the outside door handle on the driver's side is stuck in the "open" position. It won't go back flush with the door. The door can't be opened from the outside but can be opened from the inside. Not sure what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

SexySE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
YJGEEWA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your going to have to tear into that door and either lube up the handle from the inside, or change out the outside handle all together. It happened to me and I had to replace the handle. It's a great way to prove you have patience, Good Luck.
YJGEEWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
YJGEEWA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So how did it go did you get it all figured out?
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
pumpykins

I have 95 cherokee the divers door is sprung , someone closed with the door lock and now it won't open. any help would be great
pumpykins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
miked02

I have this same problem. Anyone figure out how to do this?
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 32x11.50R15
Mickey Thompson Classic II Rims 15x8
BDS 2" Suspension, 1" Body Lift
miked02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
bluesspeed
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you guys are going to have to take the inner door panel off and probably even the glass something may just be hung up or something could be broken but u will need to get in there to find out
bluesspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
guitarADDict18
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have had this problem multiple times over the past year. I put new handles on my '92 yj for the third time, and they are already broken again. The problem is simply that the handles wear out. After less than a month of new handles I am already replacing them again. I am beginning to doubt I am installing them correctly, but they work fine once they are on. Anyone know of any installation guides out there?
guitarADDict18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

One thing to be careful of........ If your handles are breaking, especially if it's repeatedly, make sure you grease the latch itself. Have had a similiar problem and after greasing the latch all was good.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
muskegonjohn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarADDict18 View Post
I have had this problem multiple times over the past year. I put new handles on my '92 yj for the third time, and they are already broken again. The problem is simply that the handles wear out. After less than a month of new handles I am already replacing them again. I am beginning to doubt I am installing them correctly, but they work fine once they are on. Anyone know of any installation guides out there?
Check out:

http://dailydriventj.com/trim_painting.shtml

the author starts out talking about painting the paddles but then describes, very well, how to take the paddles out. The problem is the replacement paddles are cheaply made where the paddle connects to the rod on the inside of the door. I had to reinstall my factory paddles because the replacements kept skipping. The result was an open paddle and no open door.
muskegonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You have to make sure the latch mechanism works smoothly and easily. Then you can repair the yj or cj handle by bending the tab back over the lever on the handle, then i welded a rod on the lever so it would not bend back over the other lever, once you get the handle out you will see how it works.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Jeepin94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Stuck Door

I just got a 94 YJ with full hard doors and they worked fine until I locked the drivers door and now I can't get it back open. I have the soft panel and the small steel panel off the inside of the door and see that all the linkage for both inside and outside handles along with the lock button are still moving but will not disengage around the door pin. I lubed everything up and still nothing, I did notice that the door lock won't turn with the key. Anyone know what happened? I just bought it yesterday.
Jeepin94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just had this same thing happen to me (YJ full doors). I opened them up and used wd40 on the moving componants and put it back together. They work well for me now.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.