Do you leave your fire extinguisher in your Jeep year round? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Do you leave your fire extinguisher in your Jeep year round?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Do you leave your fire extinguisher in your Jeep year round?

I've put off buying a fire extinguisher for my Jeep for too long. If not for myself, I should carry one in case somebody else needs one.

What's been keeping me from buying one and going with it is that I can't find much info on if it's fine to store one outside in my Jeep year round. In the winter temperatures can get down to -40F for periods of time. Summer gets up into the 90F range tops. Will any old fire extinguisher I find at the hardware store be fine in those conditions?

While I know it's best to change the out from time to time, it's going to go unused for most of it's life. Can somebody suggest one that will be reliable?

Unread 06-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thats not really a Jeep question, so this isn't the best place to ask. I'd look/search the net for general info on extinguishers.
Unread 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Don, I did look and I wasn't able to find much info. Fire extinguishers don't have it written on the packaging either. I figured I'd check what everyone's experiences have been.

Oh well, I'll call up a few companies on Monday and see if they can provide me with details.
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you read the label? Mine says +120 to -40.
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My Jeeps and my garage all have their own fire extinguishers. They live outside all year around in Minnesota weather. I tested one that was 8 years old and that I thought needed replacing simply due to old age. I functioned perfectly.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Like Don said.... try the local Yellow Pages

http://www.yellowpages.com/new-berli...protection-inc
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've always left mine in the Jeep, winter, summer, parked in garage, or outside. Summers get hot down here.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

the problems with fire extingushers living outside year round is more of a quality of build issue. the cheaper extingushers with plastic valves can leak over time when the tank expands and contracts due to temperature changes. this really isnt a problem with high quality extingushers with metal valves.

stick with high quality extingushers and you should be just fine.

i went with triangle fire company 5lb Purple K mounted to my seat. company was great to work with when i placed a large order for my club.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My mil spec coldfire extinguisher is good for -50. Not that I'll ever have my jeep out anywhere it is that cold, but I could and still put a fire out. Lol
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I leave mine in the jeep year round. It doesn't get cold but in Phoenix the temps in the car can get pretty hot.

As a previous poster said. Don't get one with plastic parts.

Also, if you do come across someone and their car is on fire your best bet is to hand them your extinguisher and let them spray it. That way it is their decision and they can't sue you for messing up their car. Exception to this rule is if someone is trapped in the car, then just go for it.

And FYI, a small extinguisher is only good for a small fire. If the front of the car is engulfed in flames it probably won't do much good. If there is someone in the car then certainly try, if nothing else it might tone down the flames for a short period of time.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I burned up my YJ once.

Once you go through that, you pretty much never forget your extinguisher.

Mine were out in -30 degree weather in Chicago this winter, and in 100 degree weather last summer.

They all read charged.

Find a place that sells them as their main business, give them the use you anticipate, and they will tell you what you need.

Many you find in department stores or big box stores are crap.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a engine fire once not in a jeep, long ago. I was about to take my shirt off as it was just on the carb. The wife grabs the fire extinguisher and pulls the trigger. The one thing she did not know, you have to point it at the fire. It was pointed at me thanks hun..........
Unread 06-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I had a engine fire once not in a jeep, long ago. I was about to take my shirt off as it was just on the carb. The wife grabs the fire extinguisher and pulls the trigger. The one thing she did not know, you have to point it at the fire. It was pointed at me thanks hun..........
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

At Rausch creek today. a fuel fire in a Toyota. Apparently some extinguishers were used. No details though.
image-1762203422.jpg

image-1169219900.jpg

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
dahreno

Don't ever go without an extinguisher, they are cheap insurance. So what if you have to change it every couple of years. Just do it. The life you save could be mine ! LOL !
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.