Do not buy the Bestop Safari Bikini Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Do not buy the Bestop Safari Bikini Top

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
hnifong

Do not buy the Bestop Safari Bikini Top

We purchased the Bestop Bikini® Tops - Safari Style top last year. We have had nothing but issues with this top. I wrote to them for help on the issue asking them… How much should the safari bikini top be flapping. I understand a slight amount of flapping, but it is so bad that it is almost hitting my 7 year old in the backseat. It flaps to the point that I no longer want to use it. I have tightened the straps down to the point they make indentions in the bars. Is there any suggestions that can be given to make the flapping less?

The response I get is two lines saying yes it flaps and we apologize.

So I am buying another bikini top and it will NOT be from Bestop. This evening one of the straps actually came off and my son (on his 8th birthday) was scared out of his mind!!!!!!

DON’T BY FROM BESTOP!!!!!!!!

hnifong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You are going to run into the same issue no matter what safari you buy. Unless you figure a way to strap the rear section down like the front. You can also do the home remedy for rain puddles on both front and rear sections. This will reduce the flap by making the top tighter but no matter what you are going to get flap noise.

That sucks about the strap though. Again you are going to have the same thng with whoevers safari you buy. My suggestion is put your soft top back on and just take out the windows. Or get the bowless soft top. It attaches at the rear in a different manner.

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
02ws666
2003 TJ Wrangler 

or get a spiderweb shade. does not use the windshield channel at all. AND you can have the spiderweb shade on at all times, even with the stock softtop on. its perfect IMO. check em out

http://www.spiderwebshade.com/products/

I see you are from Frisco, so if you ever want to come by and see mine, im in little elm off of eldorado just before the toll bridge over the lake. i am SO happy i bought mine. Doesnt flap much either. let me know if youd like to come see it, can even take you for a ride to show it does not flap much.
02ws666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your first post, and you complain about a product that a zillion of us here use every day, and from a company making the best soft top stuff around. .... and then you condemn their whole product line.

Also, please fill out your profile so we know what vehicle and mods you have.
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

By the Rockhard rear support bar for their bolt on cage kit. Attach the rear of your flapper to that.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

"User Has Not Filled Out Jeep Information"

I have that top on my YJ with a TJ family style roll bar. The rear straps can be a pain to keep tight and I know what you mean by the sag and flap.
I use foot long rubber bungies to fix the problem.One hook on the strap on one side of the roll bar, around the bar and catching the upper seat belt mount post ( I dont have rear seat belts ) and back up to the strap on the other side of the bar.
Both sides and its solid tight with no flap

hope this helps

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ws666 View Post
or get a spiderweb shade. does not use the windshield channel at all. AND you can have the spiderweb shade on at all times, even with the stock softtop on. its perfect IMO. check em out

http://www.spiderwebshade.com/products/

I see you are from Frisco, so if you ever want to come by and see mine, im in little elm off of eldorado just before the toll bridge over the lake. i am SO happy i bought mine. Doesnt flap much either. let me know if youd like to come see it, can even take you for a ride to show it does not flap much.
x2

I love my spiderwebshade.
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

What color is it? If you no longer want to deal with Bestop, I will buy it fom you. On second thought, since you're so fed up with one of the best companys out there regarding Jeep parts, why not just send it to me for free? I will put it to good use....
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
"User Has Not Filled Out Jeep Information"

I have that top on my YJ with a TJ family style roll bar. The rear straps can be a pain to keep tight and I know what you mean by the sag and flap.
I use foot long rubber bungies to fix the problem.One hook on the strap on one side of the roll bar, around the bar and catching the upper seat belt mount post ( I dont have rear seat belts ) and back up to the strap on the other side of the bar.
Both sides and its solid tight with no flap

Ah-yup. Pretty much the same thing for me. Re-adjust the back straps every couple weeks or so if the flapping gets to be an issue again. Here's a pic of the bungies in action. See that nice tight rear edge?

Makes my safari top an instant "No-Flapping Zone".

Unread 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No flap with this top at all.
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Ah-yup. Pretty much the same thing for me. Re-adjust the back straps every couple weeks or so if the flapping gets to be an issue again. Here's a pic of the bungies in action. See that nice tight rear edge?

Makes my safari top an instant "No-Flapping Zone".

Thats how mine looks. If I remember I will take a picture

Unread 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnifong View Post
We purchased the Bestop Bikini® Tops - Safari Style top last year. We have had nothing but issues with this top. I wrote to them for help on the issue asking them… How much should the safari bikini top be flapping. I understand a slight amount of flapping, but it is so bad that it is almost hitting my 7 year old in the backseat. It flaps to the point that I no longer want to use it. I have tightened the straps down to the point they make indentions in the bars. Is there any suggestions that can be given to make the flapping less?

So I am buying another bikini top and it will NOT be from Bestop. This evening one of the straps actually came off and my son (on his 8th birthday) was scared out of his mind!!!!!!

No response?

Unread 04-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnifong View Post

YOUR ISSUE MUST BE USER ERROR !!!

I've never had 1 issue with any of my Bestop Bikini's or Safari and I ran my Safari Year round when I lived in Texas ! If you look at the pic it's nice and tight and never flapped Take the rear straps and run them under the bolts for the rear seat belts that are attached to the rollbar and back up to the strap and tighten it up mine never flapped when I had them that way !

Unread 04-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
YOUR ISSUE MUST BE USER ERROR !!!
I agree. He either didn't run the straps around the seat belt bolt, or if he did he is just really anal about any flapping at all. Rather than ask us all what we do and how it works, he decided he had the world figured out, there was nothing else to learn, and wanted to help us all out with his revelation.

His next revelation will probably be to never to do a SBC swap, since the instructions are too confusing and there is no tech support.
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I agree. He either didn't run the straps around the seat belt bolt, or if he did he is just really anal about any flapping at all. Rather than ask us all what we do and how it works, he decided he had the world figured out, there was nothing else to learn, and wanted to help us all out with his revelation.

His next revelation will probably be to never to do a SBC swap, since the instructions are too confusing and there is no tech support.
Or he will tell us the D35 was the best axle ever put under a Jeep

Tags
bestop , bikini top , safari top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.