Do I need an alternator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Do I need an alternator?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 08-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do I need an alternator?

I just upgraded my battery to an Optima Red top. I currently have a winch, aux lights, and a stereo w/sub connected. I'd noticed whenever I turned on my aux lights my voltmeter would drop. Also, when I ran my winch, my volts essentially went to 0. Hence the upgrade. Well, I swapped out batteries and started my Jeep. Turned on headlights, aux lights and A/C and my volts STILL dropped to about 8. Of course, when I give gas, my volts go back up to normal. Does this mean my alternator is bad or is something wrong with my battery?

rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage4order View Post
i just downgraded my battery to an optima red top.
fify
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
fify
Can't complain for the price I paid. And switching from a bottom-of-the-line Duralast, I think it's pretty hard to downgrade...
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Alternators do not put out max amps at idle. If your demand is more than the alternator can output, then the battery takes up the slack... for a little while. But the voltage will drop under heavy demand at idle, that's normal. The more current you demand, the more the voltage will drop.

Also, you need to understand that an alternator has 3 windings, each producing 1/3 of the alternator's rated output. If one winding goes bad (blown diode) the alternator will continue to produce 14 volts, but only 2/3 of the amps. So if you're asking more amps than the alternator can supply, the voltage will drop.

So first, get your alternator tested.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage4order View Post
Can't complain for the price I paid. And switching from a bottom-of-the-line Duralast, I think it's pretty hard to downgrade...
I bet that Duralast would live longer than most Optimas these days.
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Really??? I didn't realize they were THAT bad.
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Alternators do not put out max amps at idle. If your demand is more than the alternator can output, then the battery takes up the slack... for a little while. But the voltage will drop under heavy demand at idle, that's normal. The more current you demand, the more the voltage will drop.

Also, you need to understand that an alternator has 3 windings, each producing 1/3 of the alternator's rated output. If one winding goes bad (blown diode) the alternator will continue to produce 14 volts, but only 2/3 of the amps. So if you're asking more amps than the alternator can supply, the voltage will drop.

So first, get your alternator tested.
That kind of sounds like my problem. As soon as I turn anything on my volts drop noticably. Even if it's just my headlights.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.