Discussion on Lift Installation Tips - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Discussion on Lift Installation Tips

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #91
ARChoo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I broke a bolt off at the right rear upper shock mount. Tried to remove it by drilling a hole into the bolt and turning with an ez-out. The ez-out broke in the bolt. After much cursing and soul searching I did the only thing that I could. I cut a hole in the tub to access the welded nut and dremmeled it off.

The hole is still there. I think I'll make a removable access plate for it.

ARChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #92
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

you could have just taken off the body mounts up to just in front of the doors, then jacked up the body and stuck your dremel in there...no need to cut the tub next time!

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #93
ARChoo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
you could have just taken off the body mounts up to just in front of the doors, then jacked up the body and stuck your dremel in there...no need to cut the tub next time!

Now you tell me!

Should I tack weld the nut and washer to the frame or is it ok like it is?
ARChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #94
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I left it as it is with the new hardware...I figure if I ever have to get at it again, I only need to lift the body enough to get a socket on it.

The reason it was tackwelded in the first place was just to make it the same effect as a nutsert. But the bolts are small enough and weak enough grade 5 hardware that they just rust and snap...I broke all 4 of them

As for your hole, I would just weld a plate over it and then paint it and call it a day. I doubt anyone will ever even notice it once you patch it up.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #95
JEEPINIT05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I put aa 3" BDS lift in a 97 TJ and you will want-pb Blaster, spring comp., my pitman arm puller broke and had to use a cut off tool to cut the pitman arm off of the steering box. (Be careful you don't have to cut all the way through, cut 80%-90% and take a hammer and chisel and it will pop right off!) also make sure your transfer case will go into 4lo before you go wheelin.....LOL
JEEPINIT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #96
bstizzle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

3 in lift with stock shocks

is it okay to use stock shocks with a 3 in lift kit? i dont have enough money right now for shocks so i was going to buy the coil ubolts and add a leaf kit and then use stock shocks would that be bad or could it be done untill i have enough money for good shocks?
bstizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #97
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

this is a test
[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]TO DO:[/B]
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #98
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
this is a test
You FAILED

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #99
LAX33325

New JK

I just got a new JK 4dr. i want to lift it and but larger tires on it but i dont really know how big of a lift/tires to but on. i going to be driving it everyday. any advises? i was thinking 2.5''-3.5'' with 33's or 35's
LAX33325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #100
spudneck

buy replacement leaf spring bolts

if your rig had stock springs on it for many winters of salted roads like mine, just buy the new spring eye bolts kit when you buy your lift. i was able to reuse my fronts but had to use a sawsall to cut of the rear ones. they were rusted to the inner bushings and no amount of PB or hammering would get them out. it's easier to just buy a bunch of metal blades and cut them suckers off.
spudneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #101
claminitials

do i have to change my drive shaft to put a 4.5 inch lift kit ?
claminitials is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #102
claminitials

do i have to change my driveshaft to put a 4.5 inch lift kit on my xj ?
claminitials is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #103
johndrivs

Hi.. claminitials.,

Each jeep is different, but mine (98 XJ) requires me to wear the shirt of the cases about 1 / 2 "to get rid of the small wave transmission line. Some say that you should use a track bar bracket, or bar reloating Adjustable track, but I did not.

garage door sensors, universal garage clicker
johndrivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #104
80Jenegade
1980 CJ7 

I'm new to the whole jeep thing so don't tear me up to bad by asking this. I have recently bought my girlfriends dad 1980 CJ-7 Renegade and want to lift it but am also concerned about cost. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of a full suspension overhaul with new springs and shocks or if the spring block lift kits would give me what I'm looking for.If I go the spring block way, would I still need a drop pitman arm and a transfer case drop kit? I plan on doing mild off-roading such as trail riding and such and am going to run 33'' Mickey Thompsons. I would appreciate any suggestions.
80Jenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #105
rdh8fan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJinSD View Post
WOW, we did mine in 6 hr. with 2 guys and 12 beers. It's not hard at all, a tj may be differant but $1,600 in labor is more than the lift. I must be in the wrong business.$$$
IDK about the quality of the lift itself, but the 4X4 shop where I live (Montgomery, AL) is advertising a 4" lift installed for $1595.
rdh8fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.