Discussion on Lift Installation Tips - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Discussion on Lift Installation Tips

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 01-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #46
texasjeep05

how much is lobor for an install of a lift

texasjeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #47
Haik
supaJEEP

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
how much is lobor for an install of a lift
4x4 shop says they can have mine in complete in 20 hours, $80 an hour.

if it wasn't my daily driver, I'd find a way to do it myself

-SOLD- White Jeep Club Member #8675309

Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Lift Kit - Advance Adapters SYE w/ Custom driveshaft
35" SuperSwamper Boggers - SMF rear bumper w/ swingout tire carrier
Cobra 75 WX ST - Firestick II 5' - PIAA 520 - PIAA 525 - 488 Gears - Detroit Locker
SMF front
bumper w/ bull bar - Warn 9500ti winch
Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #48
YJinSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik
4x4 shop says they can have mine in complete in 20 hours, $80 an hour.

if it wasn't my daily driver, I'd find a way to do it myself
WOW, we did mine in 6 hr. with 2 guys and 12 beers. It's not hard at all, a tj may be differant but $1,600 in labor is more than the lift. I must be in the wrong business.$$$
YJinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #49
Haik
supaJEEP

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
WOW, we did mine in 6 hr. with 2 guys and 12 beers. It's not hard at all, a tj may be differant but $1,600 in labor is more than the lift. I must be in the wrong business.$$$
a full kit with long arms in 6 hours? I wonder if I'm being jerked around!!

And yea, I'm in Canada, for us a lift is a couple bucks more than what you'd pay in the states.

... sucks but what can ya do?

-SOLD- White Jeep Club Member #8675309

Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Lift Kit - Advance Adapters SYE w/ Custom driveshaft
35" SuperSwamper Boggers - SMF rear bumper w/ swingout tire carrier
Cobra 75 WX ST - Firestick II 5' - PIAA 520 - PIAA 525 - 488 Gears - Detroit Locker
SMF front
bumper w/ bull bar - Warn 9500ti winch
Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #50
YJinSD

Sorry you didn't say what kind of jeep it was or what kind on lift, but for $1,600 I think I could do it myself or find someone who has to lend a hand. Good luck.
YJinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #51
benjeeper

with a 4 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift and a shackle lift, what else would be involved to make it all work. Brake line lengths, drivetrain lengthening, gearing etc?
benjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #52
genakab
1998 TJ Wrangler 

can i rent jackstands at any hardware store like home depot or do they only have them in auto parts stores. also, do they rent floor jacks? one more thing. when you intalled the lift, did you have to take it to the off road shop to get it aligned and checked out?
genakab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #53
redrock4x4

Here's some good tips/notes we've pieced together over the years:

http://redrock4x4.com/tech/rr_install_notes.pdf
redrock4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #54
crosscheck17
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i've got a question. i'm trying to put on new shackles and the spring doesn't want to line up straight with the shackle. the shackle end swings out to the side. any ideas on how to align the spring up to i can bolt on the new shackles?

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

"The box said 'Required Windows 95 or better'. So, I installed LINUX."
crosscheck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 02:35 AM   #55
Srhmn8r

Have a buddy that's a mechanic at a dealership and has free use of the shop on Saturdays

Those big lifts and air tools really make things easier. And we didn't need spring compressors.
Unread 06-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #56
Luksi

Don't know if it was said... but if you have the little clips between the axle and shackle to keep the springs together...makes sure you point the bolt towards the center of the vehicle.

I bought a Jeep with a lift on it and someone left a bolt with threads sticking out, and it chewed the hell out of hte tire...
Unread 06-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #57
Achped
1985 CJ6 

Just finished my lift.

Please, do yourself a favor. TAKE YOUR TIME. My buddy and I must have wasted THREE hours backtracking on 2 big mistakes we made (Trac bar bracket and forgetting a bump stop)
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 04:20 AM   #58
GotYJ?

I just wrapped up my RE 2.5" lift on my 93 YJ. What an adventure. Having a friend to help is a big PLUS. I live in AZ so rust was not a problem, in fact every single bolt came off with little persuasion. I don't have air tools but I do have an electric rattle gun. That thing helped tremendously.
A couple of things...

Remember that parking/emergency brake line. You might have to re-route it so you don't pull it out by the roots when you articulate down.
On the front don't forget your vacume lines to the front differential. I had to re route those also.
When installing boomerang style rear shackles from the RE kit make sure the knee of the boomerang is pointing forward... we got to do that one twice.

If you do not have a garage try the back patio. Mom did not like it at first, then she came out and saw the jeep half lifted. She liked it after that.

TRY NOT TO LAY UNDER THE JEEP. If at all possible work from the sides and not under it. I don't trust anything to hold that jeep up except its own tires.

When you are working with the little tiny brake line connectors use a small hammer to bang the wrenches, don't try and muscle it... you might round it off. (not speaking from experience or anything)

Most off all, HAVE FUN, drink a beer. Kick back. YOUR LIFTING YOUR JEEP.
GotYJ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #59
DisIllusionist
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you are installing a SYE, do yourself a favor and have a new speedo gear o-ring ready. The old one will probably be damaged and will not seal properly.
DisIllusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #60
smurison14

I recently installed a 3" teraflex on my 02 TJ with my dad and uncle at my uncles house. We had an air compressor so we could impact the lugs and other nuts on. That saved us a lot of time. YOU NEED a spring compressor. cinching them down with the impact is even faster. When you install the coils step on the axle to droop it. that helps. take your time on the rear upper shock mounts, we stripped one out and had to get another. We werent working that hard, and it took us around 6.5 hours with many breaks in-between. On a TJ dont bother with the drop pitman arm, it would screw your front end up horribly. I got quoted 650 by a shop, which was more than the lift. the guy said he shot a coil spring by accident so i really didnt want him wrenchin on my TJ.
smurison14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.