Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Discussion on Lift Installation Tips

130K views 125 replies 100 participants last post by  Remacal 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought after all of us have installed various brands/types/sizes of lifts, that we should have a discussion regarding tools you wish you had to help you install your lift. Use this thread to list pieces you really wish you had and what vehicle and lift you were trying to install.

When I was installing my BDS 3.5" on my YJ, I really wished that I had tall tall jackstands with a wide platform underneath and a taller floorjack for the axle. Also various deep-socketed large size wrenches would have been nice.

Tips: Don't bother with a pickle fork when trying to remove your pitman-arm, just get one of these:: Pitman arm puller
autozone carries a different version of this that is wide-jawed and can ben used for ball-joints as well. makes it much much easier..

Installing leaf spring axle shims is easier when you have two or more clamps to hold the pack together so you can unbolt the center stud and position the shim underneath it.

You don't *need* two people to install a lift, but it sure is handy to have a 2nd person with his own set of tools, makes certain bolts easier to install and remove, as well as bolting skid plate pans back to the frame.

See less See more
#52 ·
can i rent jackstands at any hardware store like home depot or do they only have them in auto parts stores. also, do they rent floor jacks? one more thing. when you intalled the lift, did you have to take it to the off road shop to get it aligned and checked out?

#54 ·
i've got a question. i'm trying to put on new shackles and the spring doesn't want to line up straight with the shackle. the shackle end swings out to the side. any ideas on how to align the spring up to i can bolt on the new shackles?

#56 ·
Don't know if it was said... but if you have the little clips between the axle and shackle to keep the springs together...makes sure you point the bolt towards the center of the vehicle.

I bought a Jeep with a lift on it and someone left a bolt with threads sticking out, and it chewed the hell out of hte tire...

#58 ·
I just wrapped up my RE 2.5" lift on my 93 YJ. What an adventure. Having a friend to help is a big PLUS. I live in AZ so rust was not a problem, in fact every single bolt came off with little persuasion. I don't have air tools but I do have an electric rattle gun. That thing helped tremendously.
A couple of things...

Remember that parking/emergency brake line. You might have to re-route it so you don't pull it out by the roots when you articulate down.
On the front don't forget your vacume lines to the front differential. I had to re route those also.
When installing boomerang style rear shackles from the RE kit make sure the knee of the boomerang is pointing forward... we got to do that one twice. :)

If you do not have a garage try the back patio. :) Mom did not like it at first, then she came out and saw the jeep half lifted. She liked it after that. :)

TRY NOT TO LAY UNDER THE JEEP. If at all possible work from the sides and not under it. I don't trust anything to hold that jeep up except its own tires.

When you are working with the little tiny brake line connectors use a small hammer to bang the wrenches, don't try and muscle it... you might round it off. (not speaking from experience or anything) :brickwall

Most off all, HAVE FUN, drink a beer. Kick back. YOUR LIFTING YOUR JEEP. :thumbsup:

#60 ·
I recently installed a 3" teraflex on my 02 TJ with my dad and uncle at my uncles house. We had an air compressor so we could impact the lugs and other nuts on. That saved us a lot of time. YOU NEED a spring compressor. cinching them down with the impact is even faster. When you install the coils step on the axle to droop it. that helps. take your time on the rear upper shock mounts, we stripped one out and had to get another. We werent working that hard, and it took us around 6.5 hours with many breaks in-between. On a TJ dont bother with the drop pitman arm, it would screw your front end up horribly. I got quoted 650 by a shop, which was more than the lift. the guy said he shot a coil spring by accident so i really didnt want him wrenchin on my TJ.

#61 ·
smurison14 said:
YOU NEED a spring compressor
No you don't. They can be extremely dangerous, and they are completely unnecessary. I would not recommend them due to the potential safety concerns, and they're certainly not required by any means.

We install coils up to RE 5.5"s, which really net closer to 7" of lift, w/o spring compressors w/o any problems.

#63 ·
smurison14 said:
how do you do that? we could barely get 3" springs in when they are compressed and someone is stepping on the axle. Unless you disconnected all the brake lines and control arms and dropped the axle on the ground that would be the only other way i guess.
I suppose stock control arms could present a problem for 3"+ coils, but we generally don't recommend nor install 3"+ lifts w/ stock control arms or stock brake lines. Most of our 3"+ kits include offset control arms and/or long arms which will allow for enough droop to get the coils in and out. If your control arms are binding to the point that you can't install the coil springs w/o really compressing them, that alone should indicate there's a problem. Most shocks for lifted applications will allow the axles to droop far enough that the springs will unseat a little, or they will at least reach their fully uncompressed length. If your control arms are limiting your flex before the shocks max out, that's something that should be addressed in my opinion, as that will put more stress on your control arms and brackets than there should be.

Either way I would much sooner unbolt the stock control arms, and/or track bars than use spring compressors. I have used compressors in the past, and I've also had one let go, and it's not a fun thing. We avoid them at all costs now. It doesn't take long to unbolt the arms and bolt them back up, and it's MUCH safer.

With that said if I'm lazy or in a hurry and I can't get a coil in all the way there are a few tricks. First of all remove the bump stops if you haven't already and the cups, hold them inside the spring when installing, and then bolt them back up once the coil is installed. That alone gives you quite a bit of room. If that's not enough, have someone stand on the end of the axle and watch your fingers. If that's still not enough, take a breaker bar and put it between the coil and the lower spring perch. If you do it just right, you can lift up on the breaker bar and the coil spring will compress and slide into position at the same time.

#64 ·
Yea i agree the stock control arms were the limiting factor, but this was my first lift and i couldnt afford the new control arms. Hopefully i can get my currie j arms on with little effort. the rear coils we needed the compressor, but on the fronts we could have done without. live and learn. thanks

#67 ·
Performed a 4" Superlift Superride lift on my '06 Golden Eagle this weekend. No spring compressor. But it don't hurt to have a friend with a huge two bay shop, lift and the miracle tool...a hydralic tranmission lift. We had the jeep head high all weekend and used the transmission jack to support or compress everything. It was a Godsend!

Also air tools are handy. Pitman Arm pullers are nice to have ready.

The genius that writes up the instructions stating it's a four to six hour job with basic tools is on crack! I don't claim to be a NASCAR pit crew but two of us spent about 10-12 hours on my Jeep and the partner is a full time mechanic.

#68 ·
OkieEagle said:

The genius that writes up the instructions stating it's a four to six hour job with basic tools is on crack! I don't claim to be a NASCAR pit crew but two of us spent about 10-12 hours on my Jeep and the partner is a full time mechanic.
X2. Took me and 2 buddies who are full and part time mechanics respectively 10.5 hours to put on my 3" Full Traction Eco. Kit.... still haven't done the t-case drop either

#69 ·
Lots of awesome info so far everyone.

I have a 94 YJ and am thinking about this,http://www.rcjeepliftkits.com/products/YJ/Jeep_YJ_4in_lift_kit.html as a fathers day gift to myself from the family. Id like to run with 35" rubbers and wheel semi hard.
The questions I have about this lift are:
Is it easier to drop the transfer case or put on a SYE? The parts Im alittle usure about are the driving linkage and transfer case. I think I can do the lift but I dont think I have the experiance to do the SYE or sterring system if any needed to be done.
Will the brake lines need to be replaced or reloctaed with this system either? I am thinking fo a 1" body lift aswell, the body mounts know are shot so I figure may as well get them.
I have trusty 17" jack stands and a garage. I can get some air tools and impact wrench. I got the list of tools and stuff recommended in this thread, but is there anything else I should be thinking about doing or buying?

Thanks in advance.

#70 ·
if you have an 03-06 tj with an auto (42rle), it's a lot easier to get front springs on if you unbolt the stock transmission skid from the frame so that it hangs down. that way it doesn't rub on the driveshaft when you jack up the rotors to get the new springs in/out

it took me a little while to figure that out and not in any of the write-ups since most of those are on older tjs (i've since replaced it with a skid row skid).

and a breaker bar is probably one of the most commonly used tools in my box, it works much better for getting bolts off than a socket wrench. box wrenches are also much easier to use than a crescent wrench for holding nuts still (especially control arms, that 21mm one was worth every penny after trying to get a control arm bolt back on by myself with an adjustable wrench)

#71 ·
Just finished up putting on an RE 3.5 standard kit.

Suggestions:

1. PB BLASTER ... this stuff makes things a LOT easier!!
2. Factory shocks can be a PITA to get off. We had to take a 4" grinder and square off the shaft of the shock and put a wrench on it to turn the nut off the top which wound up breaking on both front shocks.
3. TALL jackstands
4. Estimate the amount of money you will spend on the lift and tires etc and add about $300-800 or more.
5. An extra set of hands helps immensely!
6. Read everything you can on installs, suggestions, and ask loads of questions on jeepforum.com.
7. In my experience putting on this lift.. what I thought would be easy was hard and what I thought would be hard was easy.

Finally... just get your hands dirty, do it yourself, save money on the installation, and you'll feel great that you did it yourself.!!

#75 ·
I am getting ready to install a 3" Skyjacker on my ZJ. I should have no problems getting the new coils and shocks in place right? I'm also installing 2" coil spacers, new lower control arms, a steering stabilizer, and installing replacement (longer) track bars. Anything in particular i might need or should watch out for?

p.s. The 2 friends that are helping me are both certified Crysler mechanics from the local jeep dealership so i've already got that covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.