Differential problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Differential problems

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
mitch23

Differential problems

Hi you guys, I am new to the forum. I own a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 with 140,000 miles on it. It had always been a good/reliable vehicle without any mechanical failures ....until now.

I had recently noticed a high pitch whine with acceleration. Took it to my mechanic (has always been very reliable in the past, not the cheapest but does quality work) who popped open the diff. and basically told me everything was shot, everything even down to the carrier. The car has a Dana 44 diff. in it which from what he told me, are notorious for these problems. I have been quoted $1800 for parts and labor, which I think have a 100,000 mile warranty.

Is this reasonable? I know, I could go the used parts route, but I would rather nip it in the bud and not risk it happening again in 6-12 months. Thoughts?

mitch23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
ZEEROX1TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Goto junkyard find new axles there. They should bolt right on. Way cheaper.
ZEEROX1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

First of all, front diff or rear diff? If rear diff, 2WD or 4WD? The Dana 44a is very uncommon in inline-6 Grand Cherokees, only found in *some* of the I6s with tow package, and I6 models with QuadraDrive (or the very uncommon SelecTrac w/ special-order rear LSD).

The aluminum Dana 44 in the WJs aren't awful but they do tend to have some case flex issues that can lead to bearing failure and/or abnormal R&P wear.

$1800 is a LOT of money for a vehicle that is only worth $6k on a good day. I would go used. www.car-part.com to find an axle. Also, be sure to visit us over in the WJ forum, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ - we can help you with DIY repairs, maintenance, modifications.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take a picture of the innards so an impartial third party can tell you what's what. I'd be very surprised if a carrier was "shot", especially if all you have is a whine. Sounds like just a bearing...they're probably going to replace the pinion bearing and pocket the rest.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana 44 , differential

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.