Did I ruin my winch cable? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Did I ruin my winch cable?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
See post #6. Not one wire, almost one complete strand.
I'll believe that when he posts a photo.

Unread 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Why was my post deleted? It was offering a cheap solution to the OP.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielatc4w View Post
We could debate strands and wires but its really irrelevant. What is relevant is a winch cable snapping. The safety of my friends, passengers and family would take priority over a $200 winch line. Do yourself a favor and get a new line.

Relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtuO-Mh9Lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NnL83UpuQ

Relevant but NSFL (Gore - Winch Cable injuries).

http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/Topic354076.aspx

Awesome lessons. Interesting note though, no one was winching in either video. The second one had the added effect of alcohol too, cables and alcohol do not mix well.
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
1926.1413(a)(2)(ii)(A)
This document is for cranes and derricks used in construction... Anything used in overhead lifting has massive safety factors applied (meaning they've got a lot bigger cable diameter for a given rating). This absolutely is not applicable to a recovery winch. Also, recovery winches typically use much finer wires. This is great for flexibility, but would make welding it exceedingly difficult without damaging the surrounding strands.

Recovery winches come from the factory with a bare minimum cable size that basically has no safety factor. I do agree with you that you should upgrade to something stronger; however, welding on a 5/16" cable and going back to business as usual is dangerous. The best possible outcome is still bad. Personally, I use 1/2" synthetic. I can still easily spool 100 ft. of it on my 8274 and I don't have to worry about it (for the record, I have no intention of welding the synthetic rope either).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm speaking with some degree of ignorance: there is a bit of a difference between someone welding cable in compliance to OSHA regulations and inspections, & the rest of us welding a used and abused winch line in our garage.
Assuming it is possible to repair a winch line in this manner- knowing what heat can do to metal, I would not trust myself to do it properly.
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
This document is for cranes and derricks used in construction... Anything used in overhead lifting has massive safety factors applied (meaning they've got a lot bigger cable diameter for a given rating). This absolutely is not applicable to a recovery winch. Also, recovery winches typically use much finer wires. This is great for flexibility, but would make welding it exceedingly difficult without damaging the surrounding strands.

Recovery winches come from the factory with a bare minimum cable size that basically has no safety factor. I do agree with you that you should upgrade to something stronger; however, welding on a 5/16" cable and going back to business as usual is dangerous. The best possible outcome is still bad. Personally, I use 1/2" synthetic. I can still easily spool 100 ft. of it on my 8274 and I don't have to worry about it (for the record, I have no intention of welding the synthetic rope either).
Would you splice a synthetic line? They do it all the time in maritime applications far more dangerous that recovering a jeep from a creek.
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Would you splice a synthetic line? They do it all the time in maritime applications far more dangerous that recovering a jeep from a creek.
Absolutely.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Absolutely.
That is a art to itself. I you-tubed it and found many types of splices, the one I focused on was the field repair style. Some of these guys are really good at it, it would take me an hour to do what they do in five minutes.

Unread 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post

That is a art to itself. I you-tubed it and found many types of splices, the one I focused on was the field repair style. Some of these guys are really good at it, it would take me an hour to do what they do in five minutes.

I bought a splicing kit when I bought my rope. I keep intending on trying my hand at it, but it hasn't been a priority. With some time, it looks like anyone could do a decent job though.
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll believe that when he posts a photo.
Spot where I burned through:

Previously damaged section that I had previously (stupidly) ignored:

There is also another section that I just found this afternoon where again a complete strand has been severed. No idea what did it. It wasn't me. I wasn't able to find it again to take a photo, as I've already taken the line off of the (now not-working-again) winch. I am taking it to a local cable shop to have it shortened. There is still about 50ft of useable cable. I'll buy a new synthetic line later. That way I won't have this problem again.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Spot where I burned through:

Previously damaged section that I had previously (stupidly) ignored:

There is also another section that I just found this afternoon where again a complete strand has been severed. No idea what did it. It wasn't me. I wasn't able to find it again to take a photo, as I've already taken the line off of the (now not-working-again) winch. I am taking it to a local cable shop to have it shortened. There is still about 50ft of useable cable. I'll buy a new synthetic line later. That way I won't have this problem again.
Early in the thread, I had offered you a 100' 3/8" cable and near new fairlead for cheap. Someone saw fit to delete the solution I guess. PM me if you are interested, I am in So cal.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #27
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just purchased a brand new 100' line for $60 from a local shop. Took the old one in to get it shortened and ended up just buying a new cable. The old one will be repurposed.

WSS has a good deal for someone looking for a slightly used cable.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is good that you replaced it. The damage shown in eitger photo would warrant removing it from service.

A little FYI for everyone.

Yes, OSHA does have rulings regarding wire rope safety that pretty much spells it out. Wire rope is wire rope. Period. The type of wire rope that is used for lifting is also used for for winches, slings, etc. The only difference is the core and construction. IE, 7x19 or 6x37. Those numbers denote the number of strands and wires per strand. Another designation is core type such as IWRC (Internal Wire Rope Core) or a fiber core. Yet another type is material used (steel, stainless steel, etc). A winch cable may be Galvanized, 5/16", IWRC, 6x37 plow with a breaking strength of approx 5.27 tons. That exact same type and class of cable is also used on an overhead crane, for cable slings, etc. The More sheaves used (double, triple, etc) will allow the the hoist capacity to be increased while using the same diameter of cable.

Be safe and happy winching.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #29
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I just purchased a brand new 100' line for $60 from a local shop. Took the old one in to get it shortened and ended up just buying a new cable. The old one will be repurposed.

WSS has a good deal for someone looking for a slightly used cable.
When the outside windings of a winch cable are damaged, as your was, the loss of cable by cutting it off and reattaching a new loop results in only a few feet of loss. You can learn about that here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

A 100 foot pull is usually the exception and is never necessary. I doubt I have ever actually run my winch for 100 feet with a load on it. So, you might have done just as well with a 93 foot winch cable and a new loop at the end depending on where that kink was.

You did burn that cable pretty good though.
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #30
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a couple of long tow straps, so I can reach out pretty far without unwinding a lot of cable. However, just the other day I realized how much cable is used when you are using a snatch block. I had a full layer of line on the drum, but the rest of the line was extended. When you are using snatch blocks it's a really good idea to have as much line as possible.

Unfortunately the damaged spot(s) was just about in the middle of the line. I lost about 40 feet of line when I had it shortened. My wife wants to use it as a dog run now. She doesn't know it's already been cut though. I am wondering if I'll be able to weld it back together so it can be used as a longer dog run line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.