Detroit TrueTrac on Jeep WJ with Quadra Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Detroit TrueTrac on Jeep WJ with Quadra Drive

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
chieeeeef

Detroit TrueTrac on Jeep WJ with Quadra Drive

Hello All... I'm a rookie at this so bear with me....

I have a 1999 Jeep WJ with DANA 30 3:73 gears up front. My Vari-Lok differential went bad (grinding, sticking) so I decided I would swap it for a Detroit TrueTrac. Purchased TrueTrac from Summit Racing (part # 912A314), dismantled the front end and placed the TrueTrac (that was the easy part). When I tried to install the stock axle the driver side was short and the passenger side won't go all the way in. I had the impression that the TrueTrac is a direct swap for the Vari-Lok and the stock axle should plug in. It wasn't the case. After a while I got frustrated so I returned the TrueTrac and purchased a Vari-Lok stock replacement. My question to all you experts is, did I need to get after market axles to make the TrueTrac work with my QuadraDrive?

Question 2: On the Vari-Lok Differential, is the plenum a vital part for the Vari-Lok to function?. It seem to me that for $130.00 for a piece of metal shielding is a bit too expensive.

chieeeeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
bwiygul
2000 WJ 

bump!! i'm in the same boat!!
bwiygul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would give Randys Ring and pinion or one of the others a call. Its a shame the True Trac was not able to work as its a great unit. I had one in my old XJ and loved it. Did you try putting the axles in after you removed the TrueTrac?

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Jwhughes3
Badger don't care!

1999 WJ 

The truetrac is built to replace the open carrier not varilock. You needed the open carrier to mount it on plus open carrier axle shafts to work with it. About $130 new at Advance Auto.

JW
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhughes3 View Post
The truetrac is built to replace the open carrier not varilock. You needed the open carrier to mount it on plus open carrier axle shafts to work with it. About $130 new at Advance Auto.

JW
This is correct.

Its kind of unclear above, so just to clarify, the open carrier is not needed with the TrueTrac.

The TrueTrac is the carrier, it replaces the open carrier as you said.

Vari Lok diffs use unique length axle shafts. These unique length axle shafts are not compatible with aftermarket differentials/lockers unless specifically stated so. I'm not aware of any aftermarket diffs/lockers that are compatible with the Vari Lok specific axle shafts.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.