Detroit locker in front? And regear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Detroit locker in front? And regear?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
tcourdin

Detroit locker in front? And regear?

I am installing a super 35 in my YJ and going to regear while I am at it. I have a manual with 35's. I see most of you guys are recommending 4.88's? So while I am in the front (Dana 30) I am also going to upgrade the axle shafts and carrier. Does anyone run a Detroit locker in the front? Opinions??

tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
tcourdin

Whats the reason nobody runs a Detroit soft locker in front?? Doesnt it work just like the lockright etc...?
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
blackZZR

putting a detroit in the front affects your turning radius tremedously while you are in 4x4. most guys run a limited slip or a selecatable in the front. while a detroit locker is fantastic in the rear, it has drawbacks in the front. I would suggest a truetrac in the front.
blackZZR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Scuba Jeepster
Off-Road Solutions

1997 TJ Wrangler 

drop a lunchbox in, I put in an aussie and it works great not to mention how much less they cost than a detroit

Scuba Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZZR
putting a detroit in the front affects your turning radius tremedously while you are in 4x4. most guys run a limited slip or a selecatable in the front. while a detroit locker is fantastic in the rear, it has drawbacks in the front. I would suggest a truetrac in the front.
Most people that wheel run full lockers in front. LSD's are a waste of money. My detroit is awesome. I wouldn't have anything else.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
tcourdin

Holy crap! Everyone has much different views on this! I have to buy a new carrier to hold the 4.88's im installing so the aussie is out. The only reason I am looking at the detroit is because it IS the carrier. I'm ditching the disconnect on the axle and installing a one piece axle so that shouldnt be a factor. I just want to be sure that on the street in 2wd it will cause no problems?????????????
Unread 07-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
Most people that wheel run full lockers in front. LSD's are a waste of money. My detroit is awesome. I wouldn't have anything else.
Yes I dont really want to go with the LSD in front after all this work. Do you run the Detroit soft locker and do you have lockout hubs? Some places recommend lockouts be installed on the YJ with the Detroit. I see no reason why it will not behave just like a lock right or others in the front?
Unread 07-09-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
blackZZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
guess we wheel different
most guys I run with do not want to limit the turning radius with a auto locker, they go selectable or Limited slip
Anyway it is a preference thinggy,
blackZZR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.