Decision Time: Warn 9.5cti or Powerplant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Decision Time: Warn 9.5cti or Powerplant

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
mcrn77
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Decision Time: Warn 9.5cti or Powerplant

Finally getting a winch and I have the cash to drop so I'm just going for a Warn. I REALLY like the specs on the power plant and from what I've been reading (esp on here) is its a damn good tool. A sales guy I was talking to said there are a lot of problems with it and the compressor really isn't that good, but a buddy of mine has one and he swears by it. The other issue is whether the thing will fit on a Smittybilt SRC front. Bought it, haven't put it on yet.

Any help, info, preferences would be appreciated.

mcrn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Markmontana
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure it will fit on your bumper with a winch plate.
Unread 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
2013JKRubicon
2013 JK Wrangler 

The 9.5 cti has issues fitting in low profile bumpers because of the design,I had this issue and had to go to a top mount bumper
2013JKRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iíve had the Warn 9.5 on my 2002 TJ and then on my 2004 Rubi and loved it. Iím now running with the Warn PowerPlant (í08, í12 JK) just because of the air compressor, which by the way is awesome.

I have always built my own air systems on my TJs but took the easy way out this time and so glad I did. As far as fitment goes with the PowerPlant, not all bumpers will accept it. Double check whatever bumper you buy beforehand. It didnít fit with the bumper Iím using (Mopar first edition) so I had to modify it to work.
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A friend has a powerplant on a Smitty SRC.
After seeing it in action many times, I would go with the 9.5 and another air source.

And a different bumper.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
A friend has a powerplant on a Smitty SRC.
After seeing it in action many times, I would go with the 9.5 and another air source...
Kinda wondering why, slower line speed maybe?
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Kinda wondering why, slower line speed maybe?
Yes, I should of included more.

I am Warn fan and wouldn't run anything else. I have had a Chinabilt winch fail on me.

My buddy's Powerplant works fine and has never given him any problems. It does seem a bit slower than my trusty old XD9000i, but I've never busted out the stopwatch. It also does not air up tires any faster than my cheapo portable, but it is convenient. It is very expensive and huge. At that price, you can get a lighter Warn and a darn good OBA system.

Of the two options the OP is considering, I choose the 9.5.

If my friend gave me his Powerplant tomorrow would I put it on my Jeep?
Probably not. I would have to buy another winch bumper. Another problem I forgot to mention.
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
...It also does not air up tires any faster than my cheapo portable, but it is convenient...
Wow thatís surprising about the air-up time that you mention. Of all the onboard air systems I have had including a very expensive and powerful unit for my TJ the PowerPlant runs circles around them.

Perhaps a co2 and/or an engine driven pump are faster but the PowerPlant is just amazing in its own right. He might need to call Warn and ask about the problems heís having regarding air-up time.

Just thought of this; does he keep the engine running while the compressor is in use, which could be his problem if not?
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
mcrn77
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys.

I called Warn and asked them about the line speeds of the two. They explained that the major speed difference is in the roll up with no weight. He said if you compare the two at weight they are essentially the same and in some cases the Powerplant is just a tad bit faster. I also was curious if owners of the power plant that had issues had the older version. The Warn salesman was telling me they revamped it and dropped a load of weight doing the 9.5 PP instead of the dual force.

Thanks for posting the pic with the SRC and power plant, I actually like the look... to each their own I know.
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

how much price difference is there? I would personally go for a winch only and another way to air up tires (Viair or otherwise).
And as far as line speed goes -> depends on how you wheel whether or not it might make a difference. In the Southwest you want as fast as possbile under no load -> when you're dangling of the winch rope and the wheels grab traction, you want the winch to suck up the slack as quickly as possible, to avoid 'falling back into the rope' with the possibility of the rope (or cable if you have that) failing ... I've seen it happen more than once.
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
mcrn77
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Price difference is about 150-350, and that is dependent on going with wire or synthetic rope on the CTI. I'm mostly in the northeastern area with mud and woods, thank you for the info on the line speed tho, still getting a handle on it.
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
mcrn77
2005 LJ Wrangler 

any chance of seeing more pics from the front?
Unread 02-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Another huge advantage to the PowerPlantís built in air compressor over adding your own system of choice is that there is nothing to install (air system) and/or taking up valuable space in your Jeep.

For those that think the PowerPlant is too huge then just take a good quality aftermarket compressor and related parts and sit on top of a regular winch and then compare. Oh yeah, donít forget the part of mounting everything too.
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
2013JKRubicon
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have run the XD 9000 and luved it I now hav the 9.5cti, you could check on the weight difference and see if your ok with that on the front and you can offset with synthetic line.The other guys bring up good points on price vs function or is it matter of looks,I kinda think I would lean more toward the 9.5 and buy a portable air compressor and they have some good ones on the market.
2013JKRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrn77 View Post
any chance of seeing more pics from the front?

Yes

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.