Death wobble around 35 mph - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDTJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Indiethejeep

Death wobble around 35 mph

Im experiencing death wobble around 35-40mph on my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Once I get past that speed the Jeep is fine or I've also notice sometimes if I gently turn my wheel from side to side while going through that speed it won't be as extreme. Some days it doesn't do it and others it's really bad. I've had this problem about 5 months and I exchanged my ball joints and hubs which fixed the problem. I know my pinion yoke is pretty bad and I've ordered a new part to replace it. Could that be my problem? If anyone could give me tips on what I should look at or fix on my Jeep that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 10:57 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
tire balance is what starts the issue. over time the slightest off balance works against the components. they wear out. after the bjs and what ever was done did you have the tires checked? if not then the cycle has started over again. things like track bar bushings, MAY be the issue now. But all these parts can be checked and dont go down the pic part replace it till you find a issue. BUT tires are very important in this picture.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I don't think you have death wobble. I've never experienced or heard of a death wobble that is solved by speeding up. What you have is a speed triggered wobble most likely due to tire balance. Have a good shop put detailed care into balancing your front tires and see if that solves it.

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/di...rsion-2359089/

Also, welcome to the forum. Please fill out your profile so we can help better in the future.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Good resources:

post #4 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTJ View Post
I don't think you have death wobble. I've never experienced or heard of a death wobble that is solved by speeding up. What you have is a speed triggered wobble mostly likely due to tire balance. Have a good shop but detailed care into balancing your front tires and see if that solves it.

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/di...rsion-2359089/

Also, welcome to the forum. Please fill out your profile so we can help better in the future.
Exactly, it sounds like you are experiencing a shimmy, not Death Wobble. True fully developed Death Wobble is VIOLENT, beyond what anyone can comprehend until they've experienced it. And the last thing that can be done during DW is to speed up, the only thing you can do to stop DW is to slow down to the point you're nearly stopped.

Speed sensitive shimmies are nearly always from nothing more than an imperfect tire/wheel balance, sometimes coupled with something in the front-end being loose like the track bar.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Exactly, it sounds like you are experiencing a shimmy, not Death Wobble. True fully developed Death Wobble is VIOLENT, beyond what anyone can comprehend until they've experienced it. And the last thing that can be done during DW is to speed up, the only thing you can do to stop DW is to slow down to the point you're nearly stopped.

Speed sensitive shimmies are nearly always from nothing more than an imperfect tire/wheel balance, sometimes coupled with something in the front-end being loose like the track bar.
I think DW actually can be resolved by speeding up, but very few people have the guts to do it. I do though agree in this case it doesn't sound like OP has DW.

And DW can be speed specific IMO. Didn't Blaine once upon a time try to do some sampling to figure out whether the speed it was triggered at was indicative of where the problem was coming from? Along these lines 35 MPH is slow for DW to kick in. If it really were DW kicking in that slow I would think should be something obviously very wrong /loose.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-19-2017, 10:29 AM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I think DW actually can be resolved by speeding up, but very few people have the guts to do it.
I don't have those guts! Also, think about the damage that could be done if speeding up intensifies it.

My Jeep has had DW on two separate front ends for two separate reasons. Both times it would trigger around 35-40.

Good resources:

post #7 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 05:46 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't believe it. I've had a lot of actual death wobble and anyone who would try to speed up is either a moron or on drugs. If someone has a video, let's see it. Probably a video of shimmy not DW.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #8 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having had fully developed and EXTREMELY VIOLENT death wobble, I wouldn't even consider speeding up. I can't imagine anyone who has had DW as violent as I have experienced would consider speeding up an option.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Having had fully developed and EXTREMELY VIOLENT death wobble, I wouldn't even consider speeding up. I can't imagine anyone who has had DW as violent as I have experienced would consider speeding up an option.
I think Blaine has talked about doing it, but doesn't recommend it to anyone.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My niece, MIT MEng '04, who does not drive, and only heard of death wobble Sunday, from me, asks if anyone has ever tried a big air shock on one side but not on the other, or vastly different coil spring tensions to prevent the harmonic effect.

Shall I tell her to stick to ironing her husband's shirts (actually she works for an Rx company), or does she have a valid thought?

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #11 of 14 Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 PM
Pistolpete926

Ive had the dw in my zj and it totally felt like each tire was lifting off the ground. But after experimenting with it a bit due to lack of funds. Speeding up helped occasionally but most times it just tamed the wobble and started back up after letting off the accelerator. But i replaces my most worn bj and the tenstion shock. And it stopped. Shortly after for the rest of the bj' s sake replaced all upper and lower bj's in the front. Bj' s are cheap and easy fix' s and most times are the problem
post #12 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

You can accelerate through the start of death wobble. I had it that would start at a certain speed, but if I stood on the go pedal hard, it would change suspension/steering geometry just enough that I could pass the harmonic speed that would start the death wobble. I will agree though that once it sets in, the only way to stop it is to come to an almost complete stop.

As to an air shock or different coil rate, I can see that masking the issue as it could just slightly change the geometry enough and may get you past the harmonic speed. I 'fixed' mine by adding hydro assist as it keeps the harmonic in check until I can get past the speed at which the wobble would start. Also, the surface that you are driving on can be a big factor in starting death wobble. I couldn't run past 35 on pavement without getting wobble, but on dirt/grass, I could run as fast as I ever wanted to and would never get a wobble.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #13 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My experience death wobble comes on at lower speeds and out of balance shakes at higher speeds.

Out of balance shakes are predicable, they will act up at the same speeds. Death wobble for me has happened at lower speeds. Things that have triggered it is turning or even a bump in the road.

The times I have had death wobble were because of a loose track bar. There may be others things that cause it.

For me tire wobbles have been balance or wear issues on tires.

The difference: steering wheel shakes a little

vs. STEERING WHEEL GOES ****ING NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #14 of 14 Old 08-21-2017, 04:27 PM
OldJackTheJeep
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
My niece, MIT MEng '04, who does not drive, and only heard of death wobble Sunday, from me, asks if anyone has ever tried a big air shock on one side but not on the other, or vastly different coil spring tensions to prevent the harmonic effect.

Shall I tell her to stick to ironing her husband's shirts (actually she works for an Rx company), or does she have a valid thought?
Yes stick to ironing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.