Dana 60 is in!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Dana 60 is in!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-26-2001, 10:07 AM   #1
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 60 is in!!

Wow! That is one honkin' huge axle - LOL!! No more slip yoke, either (nice!), I now have brakes that work (rear discs) and with 4.56 gears I now have a very strong incentive to get 33" tires.

I really didn't lose that much ground clearance due to the larger differential housing - almost, but not quite an inch, I'd say (eyeball estimate). I think this is an acceptable trade-off.

Only one problem. I got a defective driveshaft that vibrates like a mother between 60-70 MPH. But, true to their reputation, MIT will have a new CV shaft ready for me this afternoon.

4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:36 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA!

Congratulations!

Screw the 33s. Go to 35s and make them work.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2001, 12:22 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by osburn:
Screw the 33s. Go to 35s and make them work.
Drool... I'll need a heck of a lot more lift than just 3" of spring for 35's I think, though - LOL!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Unread 10-26-2001, 07:04 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightclaw:
Drool... I'll need a heck of a lot more lift than just 3" of spring for 35's I think, though - LOL!
Throw in a body lift. I have a 1" and wouldn't personally go more, you might want to though. And then install TJ flares. That'll give you a little bit bigger openings. Really, you'll just wish ya had gone 35s. I've got 35s and I can barely get them big 60 pigs over anything!
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2001, 11:02 AM   #5
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I see that body lifts cost about $180 (after tax). But the pictures I see just look like hockey pucks with longer bolts. Is there something else that goes into a small body lift, or can I just go buy a half-dozen hockey pucks at Toys-R-Us for $3/ea. and grade-8 bolts at Home Depot?
Unread 11-01-2001, 09:04 AM   #6
Keith
Admin

Check out my write up under Product Reviews. I paid like 80$ for mine at 4 Wheel Parts. Bayou Geep sells a nice one metal made one if that is what you were looking for.

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2001, 12:05 AM   #7
kegmaster
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got a Ford 9, it is close in strength, but i would love to get a front 60 with massive splines. congrats, and hack the fenders and get some damn big tires!!!!
Unread 11-05-2001, 10:11 AM   #8
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Whoo, no kidding on the "get some damn big tires" comment! I whacked the 60 on more than a couple relatively small rocks yesterday (and one not-so-small one, despite best efforts to pass the pumpkin to the side of 'em). I need another paycheck, and I can get the body lift and possibly the wheels (if not, then the next paycheck). The tires are going on plastic as soon as I have all the parts together and trim the fenders. I'll also need to get a decent tire carrier... Argh!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.