Dana 30, 35, 44 axles and lockers swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Dana 30, 35, 44 axles and lockers swap

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
RockyFields
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 30, 35, 44 axles and lockers swap

Hey
I have a 1999 TJ Sport with dana 30 front and dana 35 rear axles. I am looking into buying lockers to put on them.
This past weekend I was down in indiana for the Badlands Jamboree, and met someone who is selling his TJ Rubicon dana 44 axles and lockers. He will sell them to me for $3000 everything included.
First off, should i buy them or should i buy lockers and put them on my current axles?
second, how easy or hard would it be to install his axles on my TJ sport.
what sounds like the best option to you all?

RockyFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty typical price for Rubi axles. Regearing your current axles and installing air lockers will probably cost you around the same amount. Realistically though you don't want to put a locker in your D35 and the upgrade to the D44 in the rear is a big improvement. Find out exactly what "everything included" means. Compressors, ebrake cables, maybe driveshafts, etc.? Faced with only those two choices I'd say get the Rubicon axles, although overall there may be better ways to spend $3000 on axles.

Axle swaps aren't hard. You're mostly just unbolting old stuff and bolting up the new axle. First time I did one took me a day for one axle although that was by myself.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
RockyFields
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what is a better way to spend $3000 on axles.
also ive heard that i may need to shorten my driveshaft to fit the dana 44 axles. is this right? and if so how hard and time consuming would it be.
thanks a ton!
RockyFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyFields View Post
what is a better way to spend $3000 on axles.
also ive heard that i may need to shorten my driveshaft to fit the dana 44 axles. is this right? and if so how hard and time consuming would it be.
thanks a ton!
Biggest question, do you need air lockers? Those are probably the most expensive option out there. For some people (myself included), selectables were a requirement and I did go with ARBs. For many people though auto lockers or even LSDs are viable and cheaper options.

Yes, your existing rear driveshaft will potentially be too long. That's why I listed the driveshaft as one of the potential things to ask about when defining "everything".
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're looking to upgrade, the rubi axles are definitely worth it over the stock 30 and 35. Depending on what gears you have, it may actually be cheaper to install the set of axles than to regear and add strength to the current setup.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.