D-Ring Anchor Shackle-- correct size for bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > D-Ring Anchor Shackle-- correct size for bumper

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

D-Ring Anchor Shackle-- correct size for bumper

What size shackle pin correctly fits a particular size hole, and how wide is too wide? My new rear bumper has protruding welded-in anchors for D-ring shackles, and they are 1" thick metal with a 1" wide hole. Common sense says I should use a 1" thick pin, and as narrow a shackle as possible. Or is a 7/8" pin the standard to use in a 1" hole?

Do a search of the forum, and although my particular questions didn't turn up, Tractor Supply is mentioned several times as good source for shackles with a properly rated Working Load Limit. Go to the local Tractor Supply, and all their 1" shackles are about 4-1/2" wide at the pin. I ask if they have narrower shackles, and get that deer in the headlights look in return.

This seems too wide. Is there a technical term for a narrower shackle? Shouldn't a shackle fit as close as possible to the mounting hole to keep the pin from bending? Checking the websites for E-Rigging and Recovery Gear didn't really give me an answer.

Unread 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Geolee
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought two 3/4-inch shackles last week. The pin is 7/8-inch in diameter. The inside width of the shackle at the pin is 1 3/8 inches. This is probably the largest shackle that will fit the existing holes in the clevis mounts.
Geolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The shackles are pretty much standard size. The physical size is proportionate to the load rating. I went with the 7/8" as they have a 1" pin. They don't clang around, or wobble. Don't worry, you wont bend that pin. I have done some pretty hard side pulls with mine and not once thought about damaging the shackle.

I got mine from this place cause they are local, but they carry the entire Crosby line. Follow the link and go to page 3 of the PDF for specs and tech drawings. p.s. browse around... there is alot of cool stuff there... lol.

http://www.amickassociates.com/docs/...ingsBlocks.pdf
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Shackles are sized by the diameter of the loop. The pin is always larger. Make sure you get a name brand with the working limit stamped into the shackle.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most people use 3/4" class two anchor shackles with a working load limit of 4.75 tons. I get my shackles from Chicago Hardware and Fixture, their shackles are 1.25" for the diameter between the eyes for the 3/4" shackles which fits perfect in my SRC front bumper mounts without making any noise or moving around.

Here's a link to the CH&F catalog pdf page for the shackles.
http://www.chicagohardware.com/catal...0_shackles.pdf
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, that clears things up a lot for me. I thought the shackle was sized by the pin, looks like I had it bass-ackwards.

Also, the Chicago Hardware Drop Forged Anchor Shackle looks like what I "thought" an anchor shackle should look like. The shackles I saw at Tractor Supply were considerably wider between the eyes, probably because they may be designed for tractor/farm machinery instead of a Jeep bumper. Never having used shackles before, they just seemed a bit "off' to me, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the straight stuff, guys!
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisV04290 View Post
their shackles are 1.25" for the diameter between the eyes for the 3/4" shackles which fits perfect in my SRC front bumper mounts without making any noise or moving around.
See, this makes me wonder, because I just took a tape measure and found that the actual piece of metal on the SRC bumper I've got is 7/8" wide (with a 7/8" diameter hole in it). That makes me think that, say, 1" of width between the eyes would be the right width, not 1 1/4" like you're talking about. According to this picture of yours, it does look like there's enough room between the eyes and the mount to clearly see the pin on both sides. Is that...ideal? Does it matter? It doesn't seem as...tight or clean as it should be. Then again, in this picture from Smittybilt, it looks the same as yours. Why would it be like that? Why wouldn't they simply make the mount wider? In the PDF you linked to, it seems like the 5/8" (3 1/4 ton, 1 1/16" eye width) would be a better physical fit and look much neater, but then the pin is only 3/4" in diameter instead of the 7/8. Is this some sort of maddening situation like the discrepancy between the number of hot dogs in a package versus the number of buns in a package?

EDIT: Actually, on the strength of your recommendation and others I found since, I've gone with the 3/4" like you said. In fact, I'll quote from my build thread:

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of Crosby 3/4" 4.75t screw-pin anchor shackles (sometimes called D-rings or D-shackles) from Defender Marine for the front bumper. They're a couple bucks more, but they're pretty as hell and very much top quality, right up there world-renowned names like Van Beest with their Green Pin line, and they're made right here in Texas. Their trademark red pin will go rather awesomely on the Jeep, I think. I'm almost concerned people will like them so much I'll walk outside one day and find them gone.

Last edited by Deacon; 05-19-2009 at 01:51 AM..
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.