Custom door hanger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Custom door hanger

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
KenleyR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Custom door hanger

So I got tired of just leaning my doors up against the wall with a town under them and decided I'd figure out a safe cool way to store my doors and vinyl windows when they are not on my jeep (which 99.9% of the time they are off) So this is what I came up with.

Went to lowes and bought 4 of these:

Measure where I wanted them.... leveled them out... the whole 9 yards

Then I decided to drill in two small pieces of velcro under each arm for the vinyl windows for the side of the jeep.

So here is the left side all on the wall and the right side what it looks like empty

Minus on door:

Holding almost everything:

To top it off it even hold the rear vinyl window!

It holds everything and the Jeep still has room to sit inside the garage.

Will that's it for my thread, I hope you enjoyed and let me know what you did for your doors or if you like/dislike mine.

KenleyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenleyR
So I got tired of just leaning my doors up against the wall with a town under them and decided I'd figure out a safe cool way to store my doors and vinyl windows when they are not on my jeep (which 99.9% of the time they are off) So this is what I came up with.

Went to lowes and bought 4 of these:

Measure where I wanted them.... leveled them out... the whole 9 yards

Then I decided to drill in two small pieces of velcro under each arm for the vinyl windows for the side of the jeep.

So here is the left side all on the wall and the right side what it looks like empty

Minus on door:

Holding almost everything:

To top it off it even hold the rear vinyl window!

It holds everything and the Jeep still has room to sit inside the garage.

Will that's it for my thread, I hope you enjoyed and let me know what you did for your doors or if you like/dislike mine.
That would be badass if i had a garage to do it in. But for now i will remain locking mine to my gfs front porch lol.

1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeffrey
^
Be jealous. My gf lives in rich snottyville. Never seen a mud truck or lifted up jeep like this. Dont think theyd ever get stolen just cause people here look down on me but better to be safe then sorry lol

1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I feel for the window frame welds. We will be holding a memorial service for them in the near future unless you support the bottom of the doors. You can do something as simple as running a strap that goes over the hooks and under the door. Tighten up the strap enough to support most of the door's weight so the welds aren't doing it.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
KenleyR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I feel for the window frame welds. We will be holding a memorial service for them in the near future unless you support the bottom of the doors. You can do something as simple as running a strap that goes over the hooks and under the door. Tighten up the strap enough to support most of the door's weight so the welds aren't doing it.
yeah I already thought about doing something like that, I hear that its not the best thing for them but i mean how much worse could it be compared to people using the top to close the door or to shut it... and thats someone using the door everyday... my doors are off 99% of the time.... im still going to do something to support the bottom but just saying everyone talks about it but no one has yet to SHOW me the proof...

still planned on adding more support to the bottom tho, thanks for the feed back
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't show you the proof because it's nothing but a memory to us now. My wife's '05 TJ had these welds beginning to crack when we sold it a few years back. We bought it new and kept it for three years. The doors spent most of the summer months hanging on hooks similar to yours. I did always support them with straps. You're right about the stresses other things put on the welds. The pressure against the frame when the door is closed, the pushing and shoving when closing the doors, road vibration, ... it all adds up. Why add to it by hanging the window by the frame?
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are worried about the welds, hang them upside down.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
KenleyR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
If you are worried about the welds, hang them upside down.
Wouldn't that prob be top heavy?
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
KenleyR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Can't show you the proof because it's nothing but a memory to us now. My wife's '05 TJ had these welds beginning to crack when we sold it a few years back. We bought it new and kept it for three years. The doors spent most of the summer months hanging on hooks similar to yours. I did always support them with straps. You're right about the stresses other things put on the welds. The pressure against the frame when the door is closed, the pushing and shoving when closing the doors, road vibration, ... it all adds up. Why add to it by hanging the window by the frame?
So you had the hanger and a strap and it still did it? Or it started to happen and then you put the strap on it?
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How is your garage so CLEAN????
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
KenleyR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have two vehicles in it, so it needs to be clean to have the space! I have most stuff in storage bins in my attic and stuff hanging from the roof...
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very cool and cheap project. Improving on your original idea is no big deal, most everyone does that, its quite normal. The difficult part is coming up with idea to begin with. Good job.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #14
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenleyR View Post
So you had the hanger and a strap and it still did it? Or it started to happen and then you put the strap on it?
The cracking was due to the pressure put on the frame by the top when the door is closed.
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #15
joechrom

I hang my doors as well

3rd jeep. Never had any problems with the doors.
joechrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
custom , door , hanger , storage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.